"No Internet Access"

Ive connected to my wireless network but I get an error message saying no internet access.Its working on 5 other devices and ive tried everything so can anyone help.Thanks :)

steaky360

Have you tried re-setting your router? Does it say 'no internet access' when you view your network (click on the strength indicator on the taskbar)

adator

Enthusiast
Happened to me the other day, working on my laptop but not on the desktop. I tired restoring to a system image and no luck. Then after a few hours it just started to work again and haven't had a problem since. Hopefully yours will do the same.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Scott can you tell us what machine you're on? Is it a desktop with wireless built into the mobo or is it a laptop with wifi built in? Or something different?

My desktop did something similar when I got it but it turns out I needed to plug an aerial in that I didn't know about. Is it picking up your networks at all or is it not finding anything?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yes it does and it has a yellow (!) sign.My router dosnt have a reset button.

Can you switch it off and on at the wall? Switch it off for 10 seconds, switch it back on. Although if your other devices are picking it up that sounds strange.

And hmmm I'm not entirely sure on usb adapters myself. Have you checked in device manager and ensured that the drivers are up to date for it? Did any CD's come with the adapter that might have drivers you need on? Does it give you the option to troobleshoot your network when you click the yellow (!)? Sometimes the built in troubleshooter can be quite helpful when it comes to network problems!

I have tried turning it on and off and this seems to not make a difference.Ive installed all of the CD's that came with it and the troubleshooter cant resolve it either.Thanks for the help :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I have tried turning it on and off and this seems to not make a difference.Ive installed all of the CD's that came with it and the troubleshooter cant resolve it either.Thanks for the help :)
USB wireless adaptors are a bit of a hit or a miss,I would go for a PCI wireless card,or dare I say it,homeplugs.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
USB wireless adaptors are a bit of a hit or a miss,I would go for a PCI wireless card,or dare I say it,homeplugs.

Bit late for that haha!

Anyway, you could perhaps try manually connecting to the network instead of automatically joining it? All the information should be on your router somewhere. I'm just thinking out loud here as these are the things I'd be trying if it was me. Also do you have a neighbour or anything who might let you hijack their network to see if it's a fault with the PC or your actual router? I know other devices work on it but at least it would narrow down what the problem is.

They all seem advanced would it be possible for me to use a longer ethernet cable to connect to the internet so basically it wouldnt be wireless?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster

Because he's already got his computer :p Well it's not too late it's just a shame he wasted his money!

I would recommend homeplugs as vanthus already stated though! £30 from amazon and do the same job as an ethernet cable, just much easier!

steaky360

Send the adapter back? Might be worth a shot if you can do it!

If you can get a cable and its not too much of a hassle (ie doesn't get in people's way etc.) there would be no benefits of homeplugs over the cable I don't think.