Hi, I currently have,

ASUS P7P55D-E mobo
i5-760 @3.8
8GB 1600 ram
ASUS GTS450 graphics card
OCZ vertex plus SSD boot drive
WD blue HDD
OCZ stealth stream 2 600watt

I want a new motherboard as my current one dosent support SLI, and in crossfire mode the second PCI slot drops to a x 4 as I understand it
for my SLI I will probably just get a second 450 as the one I have now dosent play top games with graphics turned all the way up any more.

any suggestions and advice is welcome, Thanks in advance

Sleinous

Author Level
If you're happy with the functionality of your -E then maybe consider just grabbing an E-Pro (http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55DE_PRO/)

The board supports x8 x8 SLI which is more than ample for dual GTS 450 that will never use all that available bandwidth.

Also, this boards has a PLX chip allowing for full speed PCIE bandwith when USB3.0 or SATA 6gb/s is being used unlike the majority of P55 boards.

jdizzil

thanks for the reply, after looking into it a bit more im now thinking of just going for a better single card opposed to 2 in SLI (I know the i5 760 is old now but I don't have any issues with it for what I use the computer for) ive been looking at the MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti Power Edition card to replace the GTS450. I don't think it will have any issues going into my system from what I can see and should work fine. or if you think there is a better card out there for the same sort of price please let me know. Thanks

Sleinous

Author Level
The 660 Ti is a great card, i'd go with the EVGA version for warranty and RMA support alone (not to mention that you get a 90 day step-up window for the Christmas period right now). Whicih basially means if you wanted to trade up for a GTX 670/680 in 3 months time, you just send the 660 Ti in and you pay the difference for the GTX 670/680 (which will have decreased in price in 3 montsh time). The advantage is that for 3 months your GTX 660 Ti doesn't lose any value. Additionally during the Christmas period you wont need to buy an extended warranty in order to use the Step-Up feature. For more info you can PM me, GPUs are probably my speciality. :) Either way you can't go wrong with a 660 Ti, great little card! If you want to save a little, consider the GTX 560 Ti, also a fantastic card, but I don't think you get the special Xmas bonus from EVGA with the 560 Ti.