new comp (games ctd)

Simo

Bronze Level Poster
Hi
My new computer came this morning :)
I downloaded the free game that came with the nvidia card (just cause 2) and played it for an hour or so. I then installed BFBC2 and played single player for an hour. All went well.
I then did some win 7 updates installed nero and itunes.
I then went to play bfbc2 and it just CTD's so I tried just cause 2 and it crashes (need to ctrl atl del to get task manager up to kill it)
Thinking nero, itunes or win updates caused a prob I system restored to before I did the updates but still the 2 games are crashing. Everything else seems fine.
I noticed the nvidia folder in explorer so guessing the vid drivers are up to date etc.
Any ideas?
Oh ye also the haf 922 front fan led is not working (pressed button on and off but no led) but least of my worries.

cheerz

Simo

Bronze Level Poster
doh sorry

COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.80GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB
Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM) 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (3 X 2GB)
Graphics Card 1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX®
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
(7200rpm)
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling TITAN FENRIR EXTREME DIRECT TOUCH COPPER CPU COOLER
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options 4 PORT USB 2.0 INTERNAL PCI CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
PaulH - you can search for orders by forum name now, FYI.

Simo - your diagnosis is probably right - it sounds like an update you have done has caused the system to fail during games. Try opening task manager and closing nero, itunes, etc and playing again. If the problem continues, visit the Nvidia website and download the drivers and install them. Let us know how you get on.

Simo

Bronze Level Poster
Try opening task manager and closing nero, itunes, etc

Those programs are no longer on the computer as i did a system restore to the point before the install.

I tried downloading the nivdia drivers but on trying to install i get an error.
I uninstalled vid drivers and install the ones already in the nvida folder that where aready on the comp (version 258.96) which I believe are the latest.
Still no joy.
I also uninstalled bfbc2 and tried a fresh install but now it won't get past coping files part (dvd disc is spotless not a mark on it).
Also getting desk top manager is no longer responding message.
I did get a bsod as well something about memory_managment but only the once.

screenshot of processes running, anything there that shouldn't be?

task.jpg

steveuk87

Super Star
try doing a check disk (right click propeties on your C Drive and check both boxes) then restart the comp and let it run..

Steve

LDUK

Master Poster
Wow, this is a sucky thing to happen. If everything you try fails, re-install the OS. Only if you've tried everything else. I'm guessing that would actually work. If not, which is unlikely, then I don't know.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
If the problems persist, I would recommend you perform a fresh installation of Windows. After this, install the Nvidia drivers and try playing the games, and let us know the outcome.

LDUK

Master Poster
If the problems persist, I would recommend you perform a fresh installation of Windows. After this, install the Nvidia drivers and try playing the games, and let us know the outcome.
Oh funny. Let's pretend my post doesn't exsist lol.

Zeplini

its more likely you have picked up a bad nvidia driver off windows update, this happens often and i cant pull one down even for my 260 at home with out trouble and always need to do it manually from nvidia the latter is always the best way anyway, with you doing a system restore its probably stopped the only way ive found to revert the system if its what im thinking about, best to call our call centre in the morning and ask them to speak to me, after you and maybe i can help.

i will add ive talked to microsoft before about bad drivers getting on microsoft update and apparently the vendors them selves upload the drivers and push them out via update, if so nvidia generally do a bad job of it.....

LDUK

Master Poster
its more likely you have picked up a bad nvidia driver off windows update, this happens often and i cant pull one down even for my 260 at home with out trouble and always need to do it manually from nvidia the latter is always the best way anyway, with you doing a system restore its probably stopped the only way ive found to revert the system if its what im thinking about, best to call our call centre in the morning and ask them to speak to me, after you and maybe i can help.

i will add ive talked to microsoft before about bad drivers getting on microsoft update and apparently the vendors them selves upload the drivers and push them out via update, if so nvidia generally do a bad job of it.....
What does he say? "Hi guys is Zeplini there?"

Simo

Bronze Level Poster
Ok I got up this morning and read the replies.
I went for uninstalling the video drivers and I downloaded some program that gets rid of any files left over from the driver uninstall.
I then downloaded a fresh copy of the latest drivers, installed them and fired up just cause 2. No crashing.
The postman then delivered my copy of starcraft 2 and metro 2033. Installed both and have been playing them most of the day (alternating each game every hour or so) and (fingers crossed) no crashes and no problems at all. So it must have been dodgy driver.
I also changed the setting for windows updates so it only informs me of updates and I can choose what to download and install. So hopefully I should have no more problems playing games.
Installing aion again to take advantage of the free weekend, see if its improved any.
Might even give Wow a bash to remind how lame the game has become :p

Thanks for the suggestions.

MiRc34

Silver Level Poster
Ok I got up this morning and read the replies.
Might even give Wow a bash to remind how lame the game has become :p

If you were to live nearby me, I'd come @ you and give you a NICE MOIST COOKIE for this !!!

And yeah, glad that it is now sorted. ;P