New Build

KRX93

Decided to make the plunge and upgrade from my i9 9900k/RTX 2080s
Build i've purchased below, Also making the switch to 1440p 165z monitor from my 1080p 240hz monitor, Though the resolution upgrade would make better use of the new build, Logic in my thinking correct?

Also to note this rig is predominantly for Gaming, However do video editing as a hobby and a Web Developer as work.

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 5000T RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE - WHITE
Promotional Item
Get a discount code for 20% off select peripherals at Corsair.com
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 16 Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.7GHz/144MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 6E)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
16GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4080 SUPER OC EDITION - HDMI, 3 x DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 6500MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR ICUE LINK H150i RGB HIGH PERFORMANCE CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
3 x Corsair AF120 RGB ELITE PWM Fan + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
ONBOARD 2.5Gbe LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would probably stick with the 9900K and upgrade the GPU if you bought a suitable PSU in at the time of purchase. You will get better performance out of a new system but the 9900k isn't to be sniffed at for gaming loads, especially at 1440p and above.

However.....

I wouldn't really recommend the 7950X3D for your uses. The 7800X3D is much more applicable for gaming and will easily handle video editing, especially since a lot of the load goes onto the GPU nowadays. There are configuration complexities to consider to get the most out of the 7950X3D when gaming.

The motherboard is overkill, but if it's the aesthetic you are after then that's fair enough.

The ASUS GPU is a fairly large waste of cash, you are as well with the standard offering. You're not getting any performance gain for your £ here. The 4070Ti Super would be a better fit for the monitor also. The money saved could be put to the next generation hardware as the GPU is always going to be the first thing to arrive with better tech and options down the line. Opting for the 4080 Super might net you some frames, but it's more aimed at 4k usage with 1440p probably being wasted most of the time (wasted cash). Saving now to spend later is always the most sensible option for the GPU.

The storage seems strange. I would have expected the second drive to be a fair bit bigger than the primary, you don't want to use the primary for any storage, I wouldn't even have games on it personally as you want to load games from a separate drive for performance. Typically I would opt for a 500GB primary and a 2TB+ secondary. Depending how much you are into the video editing it may be worth having a third, slower P41, 1TB drive for cache etc. This would be a luxury, but I guess if you followed the guidance above you would have some spare cash to throw.

If you want any help with the config you would need to share the link along with any budget info.

KRX93

I would probably stick with the 9900K and upgrade the GPU if you bought a suitable PSU in at the time of purchase. You will get better performance out of a new system but the 9900k isn't to be sniffed at for gaming loads, especially at 1440p and above.

However.....

I wouldn't really recommend the 7950X3D for your uses. The 7800X3D is much more applicable for gaming and will easily handle video editing, especially since a lot of the load goes onto the GPU nowadays. There are configuration complexities to consider to get the most out of the 7950X3D when gaming.

The motherboard is overkill, but if it's the aesthetic you are after then that's fair enough.

The ASUS GPU is a fairly large waste of cash, you are as well with the standard offering. You're not getting any performance gain for your £ here. The 4070Ti Super would be a better fit for the monitor also. The money saved could be put to the next generation hardware as the GPU is always going to be the first thing to arrive with better tech and options down the line. Opting for the 4080 Super might net you some frames, but it's more aimed at 4k usage with 1440p probably being wasted most of the time (wasted cash). Saving now to spend later is always the most sensible option for the GPU.

The storage seems strange. I would have expected the second drive to be a fair bit bigger than the primary, you don't want to use the primary for any storage, I wouldn't even have games on it personally as you want to load games from a separate drive for performance. Typically I would opt for a 500GB primary and a 2TB+ secondary. Depending how much you are into the video editing it may be worth having a third, slower P41, 1TB drive for cache etc. This would be a luxury, but I guess if you followed the guidance above you would have some spare cash to throw.

If you want any help with the config you would need to share the link along with any budget info.

Hey thanks for the insight, I've decided to amend my order,

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 16 Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.7GHz/144MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Eight Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.0GHz/104MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 6E)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
16GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4080 SUPER OC EDITION - HDMI, 3 x DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 512GB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 4700MB/sW)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 6500MB/sW)
As for my current rig, I would need to replace the PSU and ideally the older motherboard which is sitting on an older PCIE, I usually upgrade in spans of 4 years which my current build has done wonderfully at. I'm aware i could quite easily save cash here and there but its really a none issue with how often i make upgrades anyways, Religiously stuck to the 4 year cycler for almost 16 years now

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
With the AM5 build you have selected I definitely wouldn't replace it in 4 years. The latest AM5 chip will be available and with the 1000W PSU in place the GPU can be swapped out with the latest and greatest. If you look at my build in my sig it's very similar, my reasoning was the same. I'll be able to pop in the next generation or 2 X3D chip from AMD to stay on the edge while upgrading my GPU to suit whatever comes along.

PCIe with the GPU is a bit of a red herring though. As much as the bandwidth is offered from support, the cards can't typically utilise it. I think we're just getting over the PCIe bandwidth with the likes of the 4090. I don't even think the 4080Super has passed it yet (for 3.0 that is). If you had selected a suitable PSU originally you could pop in a 4080 without any noticeable difference in performance (at 1440p) as you'll mostly be GPU limited anyway.

Example of the pCIE thing:

I would seriously consider the non ASUS 4080 Super, you're genuinely not getting any performance for your cash.

KRX93

Appreciate the advice honestly, First time switching to AMD, got seriously sick of the intel sockets to be quite honest so its nice knowing that the AM5 boards have some longevity.