New build check

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
So with the launch of the 3000 series I'm upgrading my entire rig that I've had for nearly 5 years and want to get some feedback on this build.

I havent included a gpu as I'm probably going to buy a 3080 from a different retailer as pcs can't tell me what they are getting exactly but have said its most likely gonna be palit or zotac and I'd like a little more choice than just those.

So any thoughts on this build please. Thanks

Case
LIAN LI LANCOOL II GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-10600K (4.1 GHz) 12 MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX/SLI) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
1st Storage Drive
2TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB Intel® H10 NVMe SSD + 32GB Intel® Optane™ (up to 2300MB/sR | 1300MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options

Last edited:
D

DeletedUser

Firstly, I believe the recommended PSU is the 850w RMx for the new GPUs, especially the 3080 and above. I would avoid Intel drives as they have long-term write stability questions..and Optane really doesn't do anything on an SSD....you really want an M2 drive as the primary drive.

As to the rest, depends on the monitor being paired (I hope it's a high end 4k monitor or a Superwide to justify the 3080), uses besides gaming, maximum budget

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, so all the literature I've read states that a 750w is fine for the 3080 or have I read that wrong?.

The m2 is just for the os... Why would that be an issue?

And I'm currently using a a asus PG279QE so its high refresh at 1440p.

D

DeletedUser

I read something about it being 850w but clearly I am wrong there so feel free to ignore me

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
So I'm currently on day 13 of pre production and hoping to go into build in the next or so.
With that in mind thought I'd see if if there was any last minute optimisation I could do or does this look about as balanced as it probably gonna be.

Monitor is a asus Pg279q so 1440p 165hz

Budget isnt an issue but I've as reasonable as possible without going into the high end 3000 series cards

And I know I don't need all the rgb fans... But hey, I love unicorn vomit, what can I say 🦄😂

Case CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPUAMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED LightingChange to: 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case FansChange to: 3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Only thing I would change is the PSU, I would go for the RMx model either the 750W or the 850W. Personally I would want 850W to give me room to upgrade the GPU a few years down the line.

Oh and I would go with the 980 Pro instead of the 970.

Everything else looks good

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Strix 570 is overkill. Save some cash and go with the TUF Gaming or even the B550 board. That will free up some funds for the above recommendations.

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Only thing I would change is the PSU, I would go for the RMx model either the 750W or the 850W. Personally I would want 850W to give me room to upgrade the GPU a few years down the line.

Oh and I would go with the 980 Pro instead of the 970.

Everything else looks good
Oki doki... Seems logical to move them up a notch.

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Strix 570 is overkill. Save some cash and go with the TUF Gaming or even the B550 board. That will free up some funds for the above recommendations.
Yea I thought that but the b550 doesn't support a usb type c front header and the 570 does.

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah there is a TUF X-570 & and STRIXX X-570. I believe the TUF also supports front USB-C but it's cheaper and a solid option
Cheers chaps... I'll check the type c header on the TUF and if so I'll change that out as well.

Thanks for the final check.. Now to just sit back and chew the finger nails til it arrives. 😁

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
So unless I'm not reading things correctly the TUF 570 doesn't have a type C front header, if thats so I'm gonna stick with the styrix 570.
Don't suppose anyone on the forums has this board and can either confirm or deny this?

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So unless I'm not reading things correctly the TUF 570 doesn't have a type C front header, if thats so I'm gonna stick with the styrix 570.
Don't suppose anyone on the forums has this board and can either confirm or deny this?
The Tuf X570 does not have a type C front header. Neither does the Strix B550, so I agree: you need the Strix X570 if you want that port to work.

There's no reason why a B550 port shouldn't have a type C front header (it's not in the spec one way or the other), but I don't think any of the ones PCS stocks do. The Strix B550-E does, but PCS stocks the Strix B550-F, which doesn't.

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Yea... Thought that was how I read it. I know it's a little more expensive but having a case the a type c port and no use for it seems a waste so I'll stick with the strix and at least have a working port.
Thanks for clarifying.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've just seen on another thread that @AleTax has the 5000X and B550 combination -- perhaps they could confirm whether the type C port works...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've just seen on another thread that @AleTax has the 5000X and B550 combination -- perhaps they could confirm whether the type C port works...
All this "front usb c port" I'm sure is just marketing nonsense, a USB header is a USB header, it's either the right version or it's not.

If it only has one 3.2 header on the motherboard, then sure but there's no need for them to specify it as "front", it's just a usb 3.2 header, doesn't matter which port it's serving.

From the manual it states it has a front serving usb 3.2 port:

1626298573667.png

I would get someone else to confirm, but I'm fairly certain there's no issue with the Strix X570

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
All this "front usb c port" I'm sure is just marketing nonsense, a USB header is a USB header, it's either the right version or it's not.

If it only has one 3.2 header on the motherboard, then sure but there's no need for them to specify it as "front", it's just a usb 3.2 header, doesn't matter which port it's serving.

From the manual it states it has a front serving usb 3.2 port:

View attachment 27866

I would get someone else to confirm, but I'm fairly certain there's no issue with the Strix X570
I think I may have been misled first by the documentation for the 5000X, which has this picture suggesting they are separate connectors

1626299119147.png

and then by the PCPartPicker website, which actually says one of the Type As won't work with the Tuf X570, and it also says that for the Strix X570-F. I think I have contributed misinformation and I apologise!