Need help choosing a replacement graphics card

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
My Radeon R9 270 (a 2013 model) died a while back and looking to buy a replacement, though I'm not too sure what would run good on my system. I've had this same build for more than 2 years now.

I'm not too fussy about price and not looking to buy the absolute pinnacle of graphics technology, just a good replacement that will do my system good. Preferably, I'm looking for a step up from the 270 but wouldn't mind buying a newer equivalent as a replacement.

Specs:
Vibox Warrior
  • CPU - AMD FX-4300 Quad Core 4000 Mhz
  • RAM - 16 GB
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
  • Hard drive - 2 TB
  • Power supply - XFX Pro 550W
  • OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 16 Bit

I've already been recommended the R7 370 as an equivalent replacement, or the R9 285, R9 380, RX 470, RX 480 or GTX 970 as a step up. Looking for people's opinions on these cards as to whether they'd be good for my system and any of your own recommendations that you think is best for me to go for.

Thanking you.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
You wont want to upgrade too much from the 270 as that CPU will start to become a bottleneck. Basically anything you listed is fine and will be compatible, the 970 is probably double the power of the 270 so if you were planning a new rig any time soon it might be an idea to grab that now and you can slot it into a new rig later.

If not then somewhat of a like for like might not be a bad call and a 370 or 960 should play anything at decent enough settings but not outrun that processor.