My RMA experience...

rav007

Enthusiast
..ended up being pretty great to be honest :)

Laptop died on 12th, PCS shipped a box on 13th, DPD picked it up on 14th, PCS got it on 15th, PCS sent me an automated 3 day "sorry it isnt fixed yet" message on 18th, PCS sent me an update on 22nd and shipped it on 22nd and I got it today.

I suspected it was motherboard failure, and PCS confirmed it was. They replaced the motherboard, and I was told it was stress tested overnight and everything doublechecked.

I also asked about my screen, I didn't buy the dead pixel warranty but there has a been 1 dead pixel and 1 stuck green pixel near the centre of the screen since I got it.. I told them about it at the time but I wasn't going to send it back for 2 pixels. Anyway they replaced the screen and I looked at the new one and I don't see any issues yet so fingers crossed.

They also replaced my keyboard, and I think the right mouse button which had started to stick, maybe I had dropped something on it I dont remember. But theres something really nice about opening the laptop and seeing a new keyboard and new screen.

I also did a cheeky little overclock to see if my GPU was still on par and it seems to overclock the same as the previous one so no loss, it also stabilised at 72C which was slightly better than before. Without OC which is how I will use it, temps at 70C and fans aren't even maxed.

I just need to find my thermal grizzly kryonaut now and apply to the CPU when I get a minute, but the TIM they've used seems to be fine so far. So I'd say aside from the hardware lottery, PCS went and over-delivered for me and I'm very happy about it.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Ah that's good news - they didn't have to replace the screen either as one pixel like that wouldn't usually be covered under the warranty.

Good to hear the PCS service we know and love is still there, even if their lead times for build have slipped lately.

rav007

Enthusiast
yip, although I think there is a general rule regarding if a screen should be replaced or not with dead pixels. The guarantee is for the whole screen, but if you split your screen into a 3x3 grid, if the centre grid has any dead pixels you can ask for a replacement. The ones above, below and to the sides of the centre allow i think 1 pixel to be dead, and then the corners is like 2 or 3. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
From their own t's and c's:

"... Unless otherwise stated, all LCD/LED panels should be considered as class 2, which comply with ISO ISO-9241-302, 303, 305, 307:2008 pixel defects. Dead pixels on LCD/LED panels are covered under the manufacturers' warranty terms and conditions. We do not guarantee that you will receive a replacement screen should your screen develop one or more dead pixels..."

So I guess it's down to the actual manufacturer of the panel and their warranty.

rapiddescent

Bronze Level Poster
I just had a great RMA experience as well. i cracked the screen when running for a plane - totally my fault - and PCP had a look at it and replaced the screen on a 14" SkyFire IV and all for about 70 quid which i thought was pretty good value.