My new Octane II Pro Review

steile

Chassis & Display Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 24GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 980 DESKTOP - 8.0GB DDR5, G-SYNC - Geforce GTX VR Ready
Memory Hard Disk 1TB SEAGATE HYBRID 2.5" SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
M.2 SSD Drive 256GB SAMSUNG SM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2150MB/R, 1260MB/W)
Memory Card Reader Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1535-AC M.2 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options 4 x USB 3.0 Ports + 1 x USB 3.1 Port with Thunderbolt
Battery: Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 330W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee: 1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days

Production Dates
Processed Date 20-02-2016
Pre-Production Date 01-03-2016
Build Date 09-03-2016
Test Date 09-03-2016
QC Date 10-03-2016
Awaiting Dispatch Date 10-03-2016
Dispatch Date 10-03-2016
Who Worked on This Order?
Built By Lorne Griffin
Tested By Carl Auckland
QC'd By Carl Auckland
Packed By Ian Rose

The Good

Laptop looks great. Very understated and on first impressions appears very sturdy too. Keyboard feels OK as far as laptops go, I have large hands and can manage it well. Fully customisable back-light to produce any colour you fancy. As others have pointed out, this has a touchpad and is easy to use but it's best to disable this when gaming as it is all too easy to wrest on it when using WASD for games.

The 980 Desktop graphics card is excellent and can handle anything I throw at it with ease. So far Battlefield 4 on Ultra at 75+FPS and Tom Clancy's, The Division on Ultra are a visual delight. The Samsung SM951 booting into Windows 10 only takes around 18 seconds from power on and around 8 seconds from POST. I do have games and applications installed on the hybrid ssd/hdd to save space on the M.2 for serious applications.

The Onkyo speakers are of good quality and rather loud when on full volume.

The Maybe

The MATT screen is OK, not much to write home about. Colours are more vibrant than my previous laptop. Just wish this was 144hz.

The noise is a little loud when running games, but if you wear headphones for the full immersive effect then who cares.

The Bad

Weight. Don't expect to be lugging this around with you. LAN parties would be the exception.
No 144hz

I love the stealth look and de-badged aspect of it. Fantastic speed. Really impressed so far.

This laptop is to replace my custom built watercooled Corsair Obsidian 800D... Needless to say, that is up for sale now and this is my new gaming/work rig. .

20160321_113347.jpg20160321_113417.jpg20160321_113704.jpg20160321_114039.jpg

gunsch

Bronze Level Poster
Hi! Great Review +1
But would you mind sharing some temperatures with us? GPU numbers in idle/while gaming would be greatly appreciated.

steile

Hi! Great Review +1
But would you mind sharing some temperatures with us? GPU numbers in idle/while gaming would be greatly appreciated.

Temps today.

Laptop Idle
idle.jpg

Battlefield 4 75FPS Full Screen
BF4.jpg

Battlefield 4 120FPS Windowed
BF4-120.jpg

steile

Wow, that's some processor cooling. This calms me down with my RMA :D
How do you have Hotkey set up?

I don't have hotkey setup yet. I've been spending a lot of time transferring data and installing software before I get rid of my watercooled monster.

gunsch

Bronze Level Poster
Wow, some serious temps on the gtx 980 there...
Okay the cpu looks like it even has some room for overclocking left, although i don't think it was running at a 100% there, so might be wrong. But this kinda put me off of my decision to get a laptop, i think it's gonna be a desktop and a pascal card in the future as things look now. But a huge thanks for your effort! Getting temps from that machine has been reappy hard and now i finally hava some numbers :D, thanks again!

jerpers

Master
I was impressed with the GPU temps. Even in a desktop they can easily hit 70-80c under heavy gaming load. For them to be around there in a compact machine is pretty good going.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was impressed with the GPU temps. Even in a desktop they can easily hit 70-80c under heavy gaming load. For them to be around there in a compact machine is pretty good going.

I would agree completely, to achieve those temps in such a small chassis is nothing short of amazing. Brilliant rig, one I'll be looking at for my next upgrade.

steile

Thanks for the feedback people. I was worried about high temps but I've heard that they can get higher. My watercooled rig that I'm selling has a Radeon HD6990 in that barely reaches upper 60's so I'm happy with the lappy so far.

gunsch

Bronze Level Poster
Of course those are great temps for such a powerhouse in this confined space. just not exactly what i'm looking for.
I'm travelling quite a lot so i was looking for a laptop and when i found out that the octane II pro exists it looked almost too perfect (and it still loks amazing, don't get me wrong. this is most likely still the best laptop you can get for your money)
Having one machine that i could use at home as a workstation and on the go seemed great. buuut there is still a limit in terms of performance no matter how much you pay, and that limit is slightly higher on desktop machines. also: upgradeability.
So i guess i'll get a beefy desktop for home use and something like an optimus or lafite for the road. hell i think i'll even make a new thread about this.
but i'm going off topic and for anyone i may have concerned:
This thing is amazing. the temps are fine. the performance is godlike for gaming/video editing or pretty much anything involving crunching numbers in general. this thing looks great. the price point is unreal, compare it to any other laptop out there with similar specs.
I'm still convinced that there is some dark magic involved to keep the price that far down.

Cheers!

steile

This thing is amazing. the temps are fine. the performance is godlike for gaming/video editing or pretty much anything involving crunching numbers in general. this thing looks great. the price point is unreal, compare it to any other laptop out there with similar specs.
I'm still convinced that there is some dark magic involved to keep the price that far down.

Cheers!

If you're trying to sell me this laptop all over again, you won, I'll buy it.... Oh wait, I have it and love it for what it is. My Corsair Obsidian is a pure monster of a case which I don't utilise anymore so I'm happy to have this in the family as I'm not concerned about portability in the sense that I want to cart this thing around the world.... I am saving space but the offshot is that this thing rocks!

Cheers

gunsch

Bronze Level Poster
Not trying to sell anything, just correcting something i thought came over wrong, haha.
Oh wait? what is this? The new Monster Vacuum cleaner X-3000 with AMPLIFIED Suction power and....
just kidding buddy, have a great day.

Andy_8

Hi, very nice machine that ticks almost all the boxes.

Just one piece of info I can't find. Does it come with the latest HDMI 2.0 specification? 2.0a or 2.0b?

Thanks and enjoy.

steile

Online chat said that it comes with the latest HDMI 2.0 specification... possibly 2.0a but best to call them to clarify.

Scottyboy99

Nice write up

Online chat said that it comes with the latest HDMI 2.0 specification... possibly 2.0a but best to call them to clarify.

Looks like you bought skylake at right time! The skylake bug was widely reported on prime 95. I haven't noticed any problems on my desktop but seeing as I bought mine in November before the news broke out I bet I have the bug. Luckily motherboard manufacturers patched it via microcode but the thought of a BIOS update feels me with dread as it's risky and I'd hate to brick the machine.

steile

Looks like you bought skylake at right time! The skylake bug was widely reported on prime 95. I haven't noticed any problems on my desktop but seeing as I bought mine in November before the news broke out I bet I have the bug. Luckily motherboard manufacturers patched it via microcode but the thought of a BIOS update feels me with dread as it's risky and I'd hate to brick the machine.

I have run Prime95 for a short spell without issue but I aint running it for the recommended 6 to 24 hours.