Music Composition Workstation

Linux is much simpler now than a few years ago and if you are cool with DAW software then fiddling with different distros should not be too big a learning curve.

Here is somewhere you could start: https://ubuntustudio.org/

There is no "best" Linux distro, many are very good it is down to personal taste and I have put that one up as Ubuntu is my preferred distro. If you have a computer to start on now I would suggest making a bootable USB via that site, from Windows I believe Rufus is the tool to use. Simply plug it in and boot up, making sure you go straight to the BIOS - by hitting f2 straighter after the on button on many machines, although some could be the del or esc key. In the BIOS, select the USB in the boot order and start. Once the distro is loaded from the USB you get two options - install or try. The latter is a good way to have a look at the new distro but can be quite slow as the OS is running from the USB.

If you choose install there will be option to wipe the drive and install only Ubuntu Studio or, the option you would want: "Install Ubuntu Studio alongside Windows." Depending on the hardware of the machine you are using it should be straightforward, especially with the latest version which is 19.10 (20.04 is due out soon but apart from a quick look at the beta I do not have enough experience of it to offer a valid opinion).

When you install you will also be given a choice of what you want to install with it, including a DAW, video and graphic software - obviously the more you choose the longer the install process so probably better to keep it basic and just install what will be useful to you, in this case Ardour and any other audio packages.

The main negative I can see is that the Reaper site does specify you will need to install ALSA (not a problem) and possibly make a couple of tweaks but it does not look a big effort.

My idea once you have installed Ubuntu Studio would be to have a play with Ardour, the DAW that comes with it. If you are already up to speed with Reaper, learning a new DAW should not be a hassle and as Ardour is known to be fine with the distro it will be a good way to get to know Studio.

If you decide to give it a go and need any advice, post a new thread on the Linux part of these fora and there are some good people on their who will help.
Thanks sounds like a great project! 😃