Motherboard red light with 4 beeps

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi guys, so for the first time since I've received the PC, during boot, I got a beeping error message from the motherboard: 1 long and 3 short ones.

After that I got this screen:

IMG_3600.jpg

Pressed F2 to continue, the PC booted correctly. Turned it off, turned it on again and it didn't happen again. What can it be? What should I do?

I've done no BIOS updates or whatsoever since I got the PC, so I feel like we can exclude that

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
If its just a one-off and doesn't happen again, just ignore it :)

Often 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps is a GPU problem, maybe it was an update that threw a hissy fit or something but has now sorted itself out.

If it happens again soon then it should probably be looked at, but if it doesn't ignore it :)

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If its just a one-off and doesn't happen again, just ignore it :)

Often 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps is a GPU problem, maybe it was an update that threw a hissy fit or something but has now sorted itself out.

If it happens again soon then it should probably be looked at, but if it doesn't ignore it :)
Hey man, thank you for your kind reply. I've done some reboots - complete shutdowns and clean boots as well and I also turned off PC, turned off PSU, removed power cable, placed back in cable, turned back on PSU and booted the PC again, no error message happened again for now. Did 5-6 tests

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Some motherboards beep if the monitor is off when you boot. You might want to experiment to see whether that's the case for you. If it is then it's nothing to worry about.

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Some motherboards beep if the monitor is off when you boot. You might want to experiment to see whether that's the case for you. If it is then it's nothing to worry about.
Mhm my monitor always turns off after some seconds the PC turns off. Never experienced this problem before

Citrus_9

Expert
Mhm my monitor always turns off after some seconds the PC turns off. Never experienced this problem before
No, he meant to keep a monitor power button on, do not press a power button on a monitor to turn it off. Some people does that and Asus motherboards doesn't like it. Monitor power button should always be turned on.

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
No, he meant to keep a monitor power button on, do not press a power button on a monitor to turn it off. Some people does that and Asus motherboards doesn't like it. Monitor power button should always be turned on.
Oh yeah I got what he meant. I never press the power button

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Oh yeah I got what he meant. I never press the power button
So.....do you notice any difference if you boot the PC with the monitor powered off compared to when you boot the PC with the monitor already powered on?

Rakk

The Awesome
So.....do you notice any difference if you boot the PC with the monitor powered off compared to when you boot the PC with the monitor already powered on?
I think Aletax meant he never used the button on the monitor anyways and left it on all the time anyway, so it had previously been turned on at any rate :)

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think Aletax meant he never used the button on the monitor anyways and left it on all the time anyway, so it had previously been turned on at any rate :)
Exactly. It goes in auto standby so never had the need to turn it completely off

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Exactly. It goes in auto standby so never had the need to turn it completely off
The point is you need to try taking it out of standby before powering on, just see if it makes a difference now. It’s when it standby some monitors don’t send a presence tone so the motherboard incorrectly assumes the monitor is faulty.

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The point is you need to try taking it out of standby before powering on, just see if it makes a difference now. It’s when it standby some monitors don’t send a presence tone so the motherboard incorrectly assumes the monitor is faulty.
I will try that later today, even if I never had a problem until yesterday