Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Maybe he's got a comfy commode.... :ROFLMAO:

Simpsons home bathroom homer simpson GIF - Find on GIFER

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wow, had no idea this was being made!

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, with Jenna Ortega, Monica Bellucci and Willem Dafoe, and of course, Michael Keaton, and Directed by Tim Burton - Due 6th September 2024

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
"Beetlejuice is loose" :ROFLMAO: think that line say's it all (y)
I think it shows how much the actors love Tim Burton to pretty much all come back and do a sequel 35 years later.

In some ways I wished they'd done a follow up earlier, in other ways, I hope it will make this one that bit more special.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I hope it's not a roadhouse.... That's for sure.

It's got some clever bits on it but as soon as Connor Mac walked in it was game over 🤦

I don't think Jake Gyllenhaal is going to be especially proud of that one. He puts on an OK performance, but the script is just awful. Some of the worst screenwriting I think I've ever seen too. It's no surprise it went straight to stream. I was really looking forward to it as well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I hope it's not a roadhouse.... That's for sure.

It's got some clever bits on it but as soon as Connor Mac walked in it was game over 🤦

I don't think Jake Gyllenhaal is going to be especially proud of that one. He puts on an OK performance, but the script is just awful. Some of the worst screenwriting I think I've ever seen too. It's no surprise it went straight to stream. I was really looking forward to it as well.
That's a real shame, I was looking forward to that. But Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't the right guy for the part IMHO, you needed someone far smoother. But sounds like the overall direction was a major downfall.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's a real shame, I was looking forward to that. But Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't the right guy for the part IMHO, you needed someone far smoother. But sounds like the overall direction was a major downfall.

It's a bit of a trainwreck mate. The casting is the least of the issues, and that includes that complete buffoon MacGregor (wait till you see him in this, any realism goes completely out of the window).

There aren't any real relationships either, there's no bonding. It's like matchmaking throughout, he needs to have a GF, throw one at his feet..... he needs a purpose... they'll do... etc. It's just very poor.

I was going to say it could be almost AI generated, but Tbh I think AI would have done a far better job with the storytelling. It missed every single bit of the charm that the original had.

The "Bar fight" shout at the 3/4 mark just summed it up. That just doesn't happen IRL and I can't even imagine the neanderthals required to make it possible.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just binge-watched 3 Body Problem on Netflix, and the story is mostly as the books, albeit with a Western/London-centric bias.

They obviously trimmed it down to both fit the first book (and some of the 2nd) into a single season, and have cut out some of the long, meandering sections of narrative (especially around the Chinese Cultural Revolution of the 60s), but it almost as they’ve trimmed/removed too much and you lose some of the cultural context. It completely removes the three competing factions/cults and just shows the ‘religious’ one.

This is of course all with the knowledge that the English-language translation actually changes the structure of the first book to introduce the Chinese Cultural Revolution to readers at the start of the book (supposedly because the Chinese version has Chinese censors in mind, so they fed in the context much more gradually).

Glad they didn’t try to fit the whole trilogy into a single season 🤣

Probably doesn’t help that I know what happens in the later books and can see how much of the effort humanity wastes in the first book :unsure:

But, despite deviating from both the Chinese and English versions, I’d still recommend a watch.