LDUK's soon to be purchased PC. Any suggestions?

LDUK

Master Poster
Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 932 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE (£115)

CPU
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 2.8GHz

Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI

Memory (RAM)
12GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (6 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

1st Hard Disk
60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£99)

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)

Power Supply & Case Cooling
1500W THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER MODULAR PSU (£195)

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
ASUS XONAR HDAV1.3 - Enjoy 100% Blu-Ray Quality Audio (£130)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, Lifetime Tech Support) (£69)

And a Wireless PCI card.

Got the Keyboard and mouse and speaks and monitor etc already. What do you guise think? Any suggestions or does that sound about right?

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Looks good! i presume theres a reason for the 1500w? SLI in the future etc

EDIT:

Ah yes now i remember, weve been through that already :D

LDUK

Master Poster
Looks good! i presume theres a reason for the 1500w? SLI in the future etc

EDIT:

Ah yes now i remember, weve been through that already :D

Ha ha lol, you are a forgetful one lol. Well I'm glad I have your blesings lol.

Gorman

Author Level
i am beginning to lose track a little, this forum is only a week old and we are nearing 1000 posts, not all of them mine!

LDUK

Master Poster
now that is a beast!

Ha ha, cool!

i am beginning to lose track a little, this forum is only a week old and we are nearing 1000 posts, not all of them mine!

Wow really? Jeez, I didn't realise this was such a baby. I just assumed not many people use it lol. Turns out it's the complete opposite!

Dude, I have a question. If I were to buy the Non-OverClocked version, can I still have the arctic cooling thermal paste applied? It's not in the options list.

Gorman

Author Level
Yes you can but you would have to either ring our helpdesk or fire them an email, details in my sig.

Simon

Bronze Level Poster
Arctic Paste on non-OC builds with ECO ALC

Yes you can but you would have to either ring our helpdesk or fire them an email, details in my sig.

Interesting - I was wondering about that course of action myself. I'd assumed (and we all know what assume really means, don't we?) that because the ECO ALC has paste pre-applied that it would not be possible to apply the Arctic paste. Looks like I was mistaken so thanks for asking the question. I may fire off an email to the helpdesk myself.

Simon

Gorman

Author Level
Most coolers (except the Fenrir) including stock come with paste pre-applied on them. Its good to have a choice though! most overclockers would remove the standard pre-applied stuff and put on their favourite brand.

Shaktimus

Bronze Level Poster
I had the almost same specifications as you, how wierd, but unfortunatly I didn't have the same cash as you. So I posted my spec to another forum (specific forum for Visual Effect Artists) and they made the following changes, which I am glad I followed cause it saved me about £400 and the VISIBLE difference would be very minor. But I'm, presuming you are gettting it for hard core gaming.

Anyway like I said, mine was very similar to yours but these were the changes that were made specific to visual effects rendering etc.

COOLERMASTER HAF 932 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE (£115) -------->>> HAF 922

Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 ------->>> 1GB GTX465 ( I wanted the GTX250 (i think it was the name) but by the time i got the money ready, they were not stocking it....)

1st Hard Disk
60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW) ------>>> They grilled me on this, lols. "Do you really want your windows to start up 20 seconds faster?", I was told. I was told to change it to the 300GB Velociraptor. More space and very minor difference in speed.

2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE ----->>> I got the same but the Black SATA 6Gb/s. Your mother board supports 6Gb/s and apparently the Black is more reliable than the Green.

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£99) ----->>> They suggested BluRay is a waste.... no need. So I just got the standard 24x DVD

Sound Card:
I got the standard one. They was against upgrading it because Visual Effects don't rely on sound, lols.

Plus I ordered a monistor aswelll... which came to below £1650 i think.

Good luck with your purchase, defentaly recommend this company.

Last edited:

GazzaScotland

Bronze Level Poster
Most coolers (except the Fenrir) including stock come with paste pre-applied on them. Its good to have a choice though! most overclockers would remove the standard pre-applied stuff and put on their favourite brand.

The Fenrir comes with its own paste doesn't it? but you have to apply it yourself.

LDUK

Master Poster
I had the almost same specifications as you, how wierd, but unfortunatly I didn't have the same cash as you. So I posted my spec to another forum (specific forum for Visual Effect Artists) and they made the following changes, which I am glad I followed cause it saved me about £400 and the VISIBLE difference would be very minor. But I'm, presuming you are gettting it for hard core gaming.

Anyway like I said, mine was very similar to yours but these were the changes that were made specific to visual effects rendering etc.

COOLERMASTER HAF 932 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE (£115) -------->>> HAF 922

Graphics Card
1536MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX480 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 ------->>> 1GB GTX465 ( I wanted the GTX250 (i think it was the name) but by the time i got the money ready, they were not stocking it....)

1st Hard Disk
60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW) ------>>> They grilled me on this, lols. "Do you really want your windows to start up 20 seconds faster?", I was told. I was told to change it to the 300GB Velociraptor. More space and very minor difference in speed.
It's more than just the boot speed. A lot of aplications that are installed on this disc will also start up faster. Photoshop and After Effect are two I know about and two I use.

2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE ----->>> I got the same but the Black SATA 6Gb/s. Your mother board supports 6Gb/s and apparently the Black is more reliable than the Green.
Yeah, I never really understood the 6 Gb/s and 3Gb/s. That clearly mean the speed of which data is transfered between the MB and HDD/SDD. But the read speed of even the SSD is far less than that. So why would the difference matter?

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£99) ----->>> They suggested BluRay is a waste.... no need. So I just got the standard 24x DVD
Wow really? I'm going to be using my PC as a Blu-Ray player for movies. And I'll be using the high capacity storage of a Blu-Ray to store back-ups on.

Sound Card:
I got the standard one. They was against upgrading it because Visual Effects don't rely on sound, lols.

Plus I ordered a monistor aswelll... which came to below £1650 i think.

Good luck with your purchase, defentaly recommend this company.
Thanks a bunch mate :D

Shaktimus

Bronze Level Poster
WoW, thats what I use it for, After Effects and 3Ds Max (Which I am still saving up for). with the 300GB velociraptor, After effects and photoshop boot up within 8 seconds. Now i don't know if you want to start up After Effects faster than that.

I would have gotten your graphics card but couldn't afford it, but I wanted something with high CUDA cores (for 3ds max rendering), which both graphic cards have a high amount of.

Last edited:

LDUK

Master Poster
WoW, thats what I use it for, After Effects and 3Ds Max (Which I am still saving up for). with the 300GB velociraptor, After effects and photoshop boot up within 8 seconds. Now i don't know if you want to start up After Effects faster than that.
Ha ha, that's pretty swift lol. Not just that but the fast write speeds will save me on time too. Can't be bothered to sit there for 10 minutes transfering 8GBs of video to the Hard Drive.

I would have gotten your graphics card but couldn't afford it, but I wanted something with high CUDA cores (for 3ds max rendering), which both graphic cards have a high amount of.
Yeah, Nvidia have really proved themselves with Editing rendering speeds, and that's pretty much all down to the CUDA cores. So it's a good choice. A lot of people keep going on about the 5970 being better than the 480, which it is great with gaming from what I've seen, but I know Nvidia are the No.1 for video editing.

Gorman

Author Level
The Fenrir comes with its own paste doesn't it? but you have to apply it yourself.

Very True +rep, my sunday morning posts should have a disclaimer on them. i was thinking of the preapplied stuff.

Yeah, Nvidia have really proved themselves with Editing rendering speeds, and that's pretty much all down to the CUDA cores. So it's a good choice. A lot of people keep going on about the 5970 being better than the 480, which it is great with gaming from what I've seen, but I know Nvidia are the No.1 for video editing.

Truth.

steveuk87

Super Star
Grats LDUK and yeah i feel the same.. haha not buying nothing else for a little while now... **looks at cars in Car lot over the road...**

Steve