Laptop restarts instead of shutting down

Anphiro

Hi,

am having some problems with shutting down my Recoil laptop. A few seconds after it's been turned off it turns itself on automatically without any external input from me to do so, the same happens if I try to put it in sleep or hibernate mode...

I haven't changed any component, installed new software or even updated my system lately (Windows 10), but the one thing that could have caused this is that I accidentally had some water droplets land on the left side of the keyboard on the same day this started to happen, the laptop was off when it happened... I dried it carefully and let it dry several hours before attempting to turn it on again. Once I turned it on all seemed fine except that the system clock was off by several hours (which I could reset/re-synchronise in the time settings),...

... does this point in the hardware problem direction? I fear so :-/

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on this!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Windows will auto restart if a "system failure" occurs, so if a system failure occurs during the shutdown process Windows will restart. This tells you that something is failing during the shutdown process. That will be a third-party driver or a third-party software product.

Before shutting down safely remove and unplug all external devices. If it shuts-down normally, then your problem was a driver for one of the removed devices and a process of elimination will identify it. Look for updates to that device driver.

If that doesn't help then it's likely a software product that is failing at shutdown. Before shutting down, open Task Manager and navigate to the Details tab. Right-click on any header field and then click on Select columns. Scroll down the list and check the Description box, that will add a description of each process. Using that description, right-click on everything that's not directly Windows related and then click on End Task. You want to end as many third-party processes as possible, so things like mouse managers, browsers, Corsair tools, iCue (and anything iCue related), anything Google, VPN services, printer services, etc., etc. Then try shutting down. If it stays shut down then it's one of those processes and a process of elimination will identify it.

See how you get on with that. If none of that works then we'll start worrying about the water....

Anphiro

Windows will auto restart if a "system failure" occurs, so if a system failure occurs during the shutdown process Windows will restart. This tells you that something is failing during the shutdown process. That will be a third-party driver or a third-party software product.

Before shutting down safely remove and unplug all external devices. If it shuts-down normally, then your problem was a driver for one of the removed devices and a process of elimination will identify it. Look for updates to that device driver.

If that doesn't help then it's likely a software product that is failing at shutdown. Before shutting down, open Task Manager and navigate to the Details tab. Right-click on any header field and then click on Select columns. Scroll down the list and check the Description box, that will add a description of each process. Using that description, right-click on everything that's not directly Windows related and then click on End Task. You want to end as many third-party processes as possible, so things like mouse managers, browsers, Corsair tools, iCue (and anything iCue related), anything Google, VPN services, printer services, etc., etc. Then try shutting down. If it stays shut down then it's one of those processes and a process of elimination will identify it.

See how you get on with that. If none of that works then we'll start worrying about the water....
Thank you, I'll try all this :)(y)

Anphiro

Thank you, I'll try all this :)(y)
... still does it am afraid :-/
The thing is, it does shut down, cause the screen goes black, fans stop, all lights go off and can hear the hard drive disk stop spinning as well... but it only lasts a few seconds and then it reboots...

Have been advised to unplug it and let the battery drain itself, so that it will have no choice but to shut down, and then wait 2-3 days see if any residual humidity from the spill may evaporate... then try again.