keyboard and mouse help?

mukdore

hi all, just got myself a new computer (just waiting for it to arrive >.>)

i need to upgrade my perifs, im looking for a mechanical keyboard and lazer mouse with at last 4 reprogrammable buttons

im not to bothered about them having cherry MX swiches but one thing that i am worried about is sound cos im a bit of a silence freak >.<.

so~ does anyone know where i could get them both for about £90/100 (yes i have even resorted to looking on e-bay and Amazon -_-)

sorry to ask for the help , but im more of a hardware man don't know a thing about peripherals really, hoping one of you nice fellows can help :D

thanks for all of the help

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Sorry I'm not sure I understand; you want a mechanical board but don't want them to have cherry MX switches? All mechanical boards will come with some sort of MX switch, I assume you just mean you don't mind which colour it is?

What are your intended uses? Gaming? Work? General desktop usage?

For gaming I'd recommend Cherry Red switches, these will be light to press, offer fantastic feedback and feel great to use. However, if you're quite a heavy typist they will be quite an intruding 'clunk' noise when you hit the bottom of the board with the key. I believe this can be solved by buying some rubber rings to go under each key which reduce the noise (or just type very lightly!) however it's something that's never bothered me enough to do.

For typing I'd go for Cherry Blues or Browns. Both have a tactile clicky feel which means the key must travel a certain distance before it clicks (the Cherry Reds do not have this and will be a linear movement all the way down). The blue's have a clicky sound like an old typewriter whereas the browns are slightly more quiet and will be similar to standard rubber dome keyboards.

Really you would have to find somewhere to demo a mechanical board (some PC Worlds have display stands) and see which key feels best to you. It's very difficult to tell somebody if they will like a certain switch or not as it is all personal preference. For a decent mechanical board you'd be looking at £80+. You can of course get them for cheaper than this but normally they will be a tenkeyless compact version (no number pad) or they'll be quite a cheap brand with a very basic board. Have a look at some of the CM Storm boards or perhaps the Corsair K series (I believe K70 or K75 is the latest keyboard edition).

As for a mouse, again it's all down to personal preference, hand size and whether you prefer quite a relaxed ergonomic design or a 'claw' like grip. Again, some PC Worlds have display stands of 5 or 6 different brands to try out but this only popped up in my local store for a short period of time and now it's gone again. They may have demo models in the storeroom if you ask though.

I personally settled for the Corsair M65; good build quality, comfortable grip, DPI up to 8200 of which I probably only use about 2500 of, a couple of buttons of the side and an all-round quality product. It can be quite difficult for people with big hands though as the mouse is quite short.

If they'd had one in stock I probably would have had a Razer Deathadder as the ergonomic grip was fantastic. In hindsight though, the build quality wasn't up to scratch compared to the Corsair and it was a very plain mouse yet very expensive. For your budget it may be worth checking out some of the R.A.T mice as they come in lots of different tiers for all budgets. If you can afford it I can't recommend the Corsair M65 enough though.

mukdore

wow, really didn't expect a reply this detailed xD ok tbh i see your point think that ill up the budget to about £40 for a a mouse and about £60/80 for a keyboard i think. and ahhh i thought that there were a few cheaper produced switches that still had a similar performance.
and its for a combination of gaming and typing, but mainly gaming tbh, and do you know if the rubber changes the feel of the keypress or is it just the sound that is changed?

and mouse wise i have quite large hands and pefer a "claw"link grip from what i have seen. and ill have a quick look at it now, thanks for all the help really good intro to the forums ^_^

bigben

Master Poster
wow, really didn't expect a reply this detailed xD

Saw this on the news feed and knew straight away that you were replying to Grimezy (does that man ever do any work at work!?)

I have the red switches and love them although they are pretty loud when you bottom them out (really easy to do as they are so light to touch). Could be worth having a look for some black switches which I believe are a little bit stiffer so won't be quite so easy to bottom out.
Not sure which switches they offer but the Corsair K70 looks really smart, I think that's about £100 though. I have heard good things about the Cooler Master Quickfire keyboards which are a bit cheaper.

I have a R.A.T. 7 which I got for about £40 (although I think I had a bargain), it's a really nice mouse and you can adjust the length, weight, thumb rest and palm rest so it should suit most hand sizes (my hands are pretty huge and I find most mice uncomfortably small). It only has 2 programmable buttons though.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Saw this on the news feed and knew straight away that you were replying to Grimezy (does that man ever do any work at work!?)

I have the red switches and love them although they are pretty loud when you bottom them out (really easy to do as they are so light to touch). Could be worth having a look for some black switches which I believe are a little bit stiffer so won't be quite so easy to bottom out.
Not sure which switches they offer but the Corsair K70 looks really smart, I think that's about £100 though. I have heard good things about the Cooler Master Quickfire keyboards which are a bit cheaper.

I have a R.A.T. 7 which I got for about £40 (although I think I had a bargain), it's a really nice mouse and you can adjust the length, weight, thumb rest and palm rest so it should suit most hand sizes (my hands are pretty huge and I find most mice uncomfortably small). It only has 2 programmable buttons though.

My desk is clear of things to do, my problem is I work too quick! :D Plus I can't resist replying to a Keyboard or Mouse thread, almost like Keynes how he replies to every Check this spec post.

I believe the Corsair K70 is on Cherry Red switches :) Personally I'd try it as standard before you start fitting rubber rings as these are most likely going to 'numb' some of the mechanical feel. My friend has done it to his keyboard though (he has the K70) and he says it's a massive help for when he's on teamspeak as he used to get complained at for his typing being heard down the mic whereas he doesn't anymore. The noise really isn't an issue while gaming though as most the time you're holding down keys rather than bashing them (unless you play MMO's).

I'd definitely suggest going the extra mile with a mechanical board though. They're a massive upgrade from rubber switches and it will probably outlive 99% of your other components/peripherals as a mechanical keyboard should never 'age'. I spent £110 on my Aivia Osmium and it's perfect for my needs, some would say that's far too expensive for a keyboard but I was saying the exact same thing 18 months ago so I can see why they wouldn't understand. The way I always put it is why have a £1000 PC and use a £10 product as your main peripheral? You do pretty much everything on the keyboard, having a premium mechanical board just makes you feel like you have a quality rig. My mates oblivious to PC's come round to have a go on BF4 and just stand in a building tapping side to side as they love the feel of the keys so even an untrained mind can feel the quality difference.

Something like this would be in budget if you don't need a number pad: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CH-...387462649&sr=8-8&keywords=mechanical+keyboard

Otherwise, the more expensive full size one is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CH-...87462754&sr=8-20&keywords=mechanical+keyboard

There's tons you could buy though depending on what backlight colour you want, what switch you want, what you're willing to raise your budget to, etc etc. Check out Q-pad boards if you want basic full size mechanical ones, they're fairly cheap but don't have many fancy features. And like bigben said, the CM Storm range has a huge variety for all needs, definitely worth checking out.

Oh and would you look at that, some work has been dumped on my desk, thanks alot Alex, you had to grass on me didn't you.

Last edited:

mukdore

haha yeah i know every thread that i have looked at has him in :D so i trust his word implicetly xD#

on the keyboard front ive also been lucking for a ducky shine 3 LED but cant find anywhere with a UK layout for it and dont even know the price, ive heard ducky are good but dont know myself tbh. also yeah i much prefer the keypad , grown accustomed to it and its how i remember most of my pin numbers xD

the crosier im not a lover of the look of it tbh , after something quite flashy , this is my first proper gaming PC, want to make it all look good :D

EDIT

also forgot to mention the mice xD i really like the R.A.T 0.o im seriously thinking of getting that tbh.....
do you know anything about the RAT5?

Last edited:

mukdore

oh crap hwo did i miss that link 0.o damn thats quite a sweet looking one and not a bad price at all, and wow looking at that duck thats alot of money....

bigben

Master Poster
I have the ducky shine 2 which is beautiful.
Not looked for a while but I don't think the rat 7 and 5 are too different. Like I said earlier I really like my rat

bigben

Master Poster
If you haven't got the keyboard yet, I've just seen a review for a the func kb-460. It looks really nice and is currently available for £65 (I'm actually kind of tempted to get one for my other computer)

D1craig

Enthusiast
I have a taxer naga mouse which has plenty of buttons ( more than 15 ) it did seem daunting when I first got it when I thought about using all them buttons but I got use to it very quickly. Playing wow I have to say it is a most now. I only use the keyboard for typing :)

It isn't the toughest mouse though. I am on my second one. I kept moving
Mine around in my laptop bag and eventual the weight came loose.

mukdore

nah haven't got any totally wiped out by getting the main system xD gunna be a month before i get them xD

and yeah ! ive seen that but ive heared mixed reviews on them but i really liek the way that they look ^_^

oh great a knowlagable grimezy do you have any advice on the

bigben

Master Poster
oh great a knowlagable grimezy do you have any advice on the
... ?

My mates oblivious to PC's come round to have a go on BF4 and just stand in a building tapping side to side as they love the feel of the keys so even an untrained mind can feel the quality difference.

Haha my mate came round earlier and he did exactly the same thing. He has an ok gaming rig but only has rubber dome keyboard (he normally plays flight sim with all the cool gadgets).