keep getting 'not responding' messages.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
Not only does my desktop pc seem to be a lot slower these days but I am constantly getting 'yahoo.com not responding' and 'internet explorer not responding' which effectively stops the computer from working temporarily. Any advice please on how to stop these messages?

thanks

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
There are a lot of possibilities to try to address general slowness of a PC, but maybe start with the browser.

Do you get the same with Chrome / Firefox?

Do you get the same with Adblockplus installed? https://adblockplus.org/ There are some websites that are completely off limits for me without that addon, as the adds seems to kill my browser.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
There are a lot of possibilities to try to address general slowness of a PC, but maybe start with the browser.

Do you get the same with Chrome / Firefox?

Do you get the same with Adblockplus installed? https://adblockplus.org/ There are some websites that are completely off limits for me without that addon, as the adds seems to kill my browser.

I have Adblockplus and Pop up blocker permanently on and I still get the 'not responding' messages.

Will try using other browsers.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Have you just had the windows 10 anniversary update? It sounds like many people (me included) have had this issue. I think it stems from doing an update in place from an earlier version of windows and the anniversary update but i don't know that for sure, its just my feeling.

It is sometimes a good idea to do a clean installation of windows anyway, that way you can start fresh and get rid of anything bloating up your system.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for advice. My main issue is not with the PC running slow but the constant messages I am getting telling me that either Yahoo.com or Internet Explorer has stopped responding.

Any ideas to stop this constant annoyance would be of great help.