itunes on ssd or hdd

jayjay

Enthusiast
ok im downloading itune does it go on my ssd or my hdd and if in the ssd how do i get the music on to my hdd

Teaz

Godlike
I'd personally have itunes on the hdd but your choice really since i find itunes to be a minor program and loads up well with the caviar black drive. if you do put it on the ssd then you can just store your music on the hdd and let make itunes track the play folder/music library.

Easiest done is just change the folder location of the "Main" music folder. normally or should be in My Documents, Just right click the My Music folder then Properties then click the Location tab then change the location to where you prefer it to be on the hdd.

Its what i done to prevent less clutter on the ssd. Should work out good for you so everytime you get something in music it hits straight into your hdd :) It can be done with any of your other folders like doc, pic etc etc.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
id personally recommend HDD, i cant think of any ways that can change the destination of your music files, but you can try on SSD

Tracker

Enthusiast
Don't forget that you need to set this in itunes as well, as Itunes automatically builds its own library for music files as you put them onto your hdd ( especially if ripping through itunes direct from a cd)

you need to go to Edit menu, then prefences. under the "advanced" tab at the top you can specify where the location of your itunes music folder will be, make sure it's pointing to somewhere in your hdd and you're golden.

definately just keep music in your normal hdd's, leave ssd's for storing things that you need snap access to like videos, games or intensive programs, music files are tiny so a ssd won't improve anything, save the space on your ssd for more load-intensive things!

Teaz

Godlike
i cant think of any ways that can change the destination of your music files, but you can try on SSD

I've explained it already :)

in "My Music" which is normally the main music source folder marked out for windows with the blue music note icon; you just right click the folder and click Properties then click the Location tab and change/move it to where its prefered to be so basically the hdd :)

Can be done with any of the other folders in the user Folder like Downloads, My Document or My Pictures etc etc

Don't forget that you need to set this in itunes as well, as Itunes automatically builds its own library for music files as you put them onto your hdd ( especially if ripping through itunes direct from a cd)

you need to go to Edit menu, then prefences. under the "advanced" tab at the top you can specify where the location of your itunes music folder will be, make sure it's pointing to somewhere in your hdd and you're golden.

No need to as once the location of the My Music folder is changed, itunes will automatically direct the it to where ever the folder was moved to. unless jayjay had original changed it before hand which sounds like he didnt?

Last edited: