Is an SSD really worth it?

Sam the Dude

Bronze Level Poster
I'm thinking about going for this spec and I would like to order it today. Is an SSD worth it or not?

Case
InWIN MANA-136 BLACK GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM)
4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(2 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 - 2 x DVI, HDMI, - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£16)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
Quantity

Price: £784 including VAT and Delviery

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If it's for gaming I would drop the SSD and put it towards a better graphics card.
Having said that the 660 is still a pretty good card,if you think it will suffice for your needs,,it's a nice build.
Don't forget at least silver warranty.

Last edited:

Tinolan

All depends on what sort of gaming you do, i for example play MMORPGs and find a SSD a godsend in the load times between zone loads.

steaky360

I'd agree with Vanthus in terms of 'cost for performance' an improved graphics card would be better (imo) than slightly faster load times from the SSD.

Of course, its your decision :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I opted out of a SSD and went for a 1TB Caviar Black which offer good performance. For your budget, I personally wouldn't see it as worth it and like Vanthus said, the better graphics card would benefit you more (if you could go up to the 660Ti that would be a brill improvement). Realistically, how often will you be booting your pc up? And if you upgrade your standard drive to a caviar black you won't have issues with load times anyway, mine is still pretty dam quick. Plus it depends how much space you'll use, in 6 months I've used about 450gb purely in games... And I don't even have that many x) Standard game is about 7gb-20gb nowadays.

Stappa

Enthusiast
After my SSD died,I had to use my 1TB Caviar Black while waiting for the replacement.............and god HHD's are SLOW in comparison(you only truely realize this after using SSD's for a while),i will never be with out a SSD esp now they are alot cheaper,thou you still need large HHD's for media storage

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
After my SSD died,I had to use my 1TB Caviar Black while waiting for the replacement.............and god HHD's are SLOW in comparison(you only truely realize this after using SSD's for a while),i will never be with out a SSD esp now they are alot cheaper,thou you still need large HHD's for media storage

Would you sacrifice being able to play games on higher settings for quicker load times?

Warmzie

After buying my first SSD 120gb for my old desktop I will never go back. Now im running a 240gb SSD on my gaming laptop with all my programs and games on and the loading speeds are lightning fast. But then again if you are on a budget i would recommend upping the GPU and then getting a SSD later.