Iphone 5 OFFICIAL

Yamikotai

Expert
I'm an Android guy - will very likely be getting the Note 2 in December - but the iP5 hardware's reasonably nice. iOS 6 looks like it's playing catchup to Android ICS/JB, though. And I was amused that they introduced the Panoramic image-taking as if it was some amazing new thing that no-one has seen before, despite it being a built-in feature on my Galaxy S1 2.2 (FroYo) back when I got it in Dec 2010.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'm an Android guy - will very likely be getting the Note 2 in December - but the iP5 hardware's reasonably nice. iOS 6 looks like it's playing catchup to Android ICS/JB, though. And I was amused that they introduced the Panoramic image-taking as if it was some amazing new thing that no-one has seen before, despite it being a built-in feature on my Galaxy S1 2.2 (FroYo) back when I got it in Dec 2010.

Galaxy SIII still has far superior hardware to the iPhone 5 and so do a few other phones, never believe apple with numbers and benchmarks, they claimed that the A5X was 4X faster than the nvidia tegra 3, when the tegra 3 is about twice as fast in almost eveything but graphics where it loses out to the A5X by a reasonable amount

Yamikotai

Expert
Galaxy SIII still has far superior hardware to the iPhone 5 and so do a few other phones, never believe apple with numbers and benchmarks, they claimed that the A5X was 4X faster than the nvidia tegra 3, when the tegra 3 is about twice as fast in almost eveything but graphics where it loses out to the A5X by a reasonable amount
It's been at least a year since I was concerned with the particular speeds of the CPU/GPU in new phones. The dual in my S2, which I run underclocked (1GHz down from 1.2), is more than enough for what I need. Chances are when I get the Note 2 I'll be underclocking that and disabling a core (if possible).
I'm by no means an Apple fan (or liker... they completely lost me with all the disgraceful litigiousness) but I'm sure the specs they have in it are good enough for what iOS users need.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You realise that you get literally no extra battery life from underclocking right? when idle or at the home screen, and even when doing basic tasks, your CPU will clock itself very low, probably to bout 300MHz, only when you are doing more intensive stuff like browsing the web and playing games will it clock up to its full speed, and even then the difference wont be that noticeable because there is probably a middle clock of about 800MHz as well when it requires a little extra power, all you are doing is slowing down loading times for a few seconds battery life, changing the brightness by 1% would probably be more effective

mishra

Rising Star
It is not my intention to open another can of worms but I found it really funny, all the claims that people getting iPhones are getting ripped off?! Based on what you are making such conclusions? If you like it and you can afford it... well go for it, it's your choice and your money. I bet that 90% of iPhone users (as well as Samsung SIII and others) are getting phones through contracts anyway.

I am no apple fanboy but what really gets on my nerves is flaming people for getting iPhones or any other phones - as it's some sort of life decision. You know it's everyone's choice to buy/choose what they desire...
I don't think anyone expects iPhone to be "the best, the quickest, the lightest, etc..." even though the price tag should make it so. If you think it is not for you get something else.. it really is as simple as that :whistling:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It is not my intention to open another can of worms but I found it really funny, all the claims that people getting iPhones are getting ripped off?! Based on what you are making such conclusions? If you like it and you can afford it... well go for it, it's your choice and your money. I bet that 90% of iPhone users (as well as Samsung SIII and others) are getting phones through contracts anyway.

I am no apple fanboy but what really gets on my nerves is flaming people for getting iPhones or any other phones - as it's some sort of life decision. You know it's everyone's choice to buy/choose what they desire...
I don't think anyone expects iPhone to be "the best, the quickest, the lightest, etc..." even though the price tag should make it so. If you think it is not for you get something else.. it really is as simple as that :whistling:

An iPhone costs less than £200 to make & ship etc (retails at £600)

Apple uses about 2% of its profits for R&D (research and development) Microsoft and Google use around 14%

Apple slows down innovation by suing anyone who innovates, other companies are now doing it in retaliation

Apple take 30% of the profit from apps, you must also buy a mac and pay around £300 per year, Google play takes the same cut of the app profit but charges only $25 to develop apps and can be done on any computer

Apple does not drive innovation, but pushes it back

This is innovation:
asus-padfone-9.jpg

mishra

Rising Star
Wozza we all now you are top Apple hater. You do not need to show it in every post. I don't want to advocate for people to buy or not buy Apple products. I'm just saying everyone's got a free choice on what to spend their hard earned cash.
I'm not sure if you ever had an iPhone (somehow I doubt that) which make your points about how bad iPhone is rather weak.

Apple does not drive innovation, but pushes it back
And what is innovation in today's world? You mean buying patents from weak companies and then taking eachother to courts based on that - in order to make as much profit as possible? If so.. then my friend patent wars been around for many years now. Not only Apple. Every other companies does it! It's how messed up tech world is nowadays. It's not about who innovate.. it's about who got more patents - and generate more money!

Regarding rest of you arguments.. you know it's fair enough, maybe that's how it is. But quite frankly I don't care. I pay money for a product to make calls, send texts and play Bejeweled Blitz from time to time. I don't care how much money goes into R&D, who innovate more or who get's a better deal when making apps. I'm too old to worry about that - I want my phone to work for me, be it Samsung, Apple or Nokia.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have not had an iPhone no, but Ive had an iPod touch and an iPad and at first they are very nice experiences but the OS dried up for me, and hasnt changed since iOS was released
iPods are now pretty much a pointless device now anyway (or mp3 players in general) as smartphones now have the same amount of storage and have good music player apps that can do all that the iPod does as well as phone people

and very few people even know there are other tablets in the world, I went from an iPad to a ASUS Transformer Infinity, and it was one of the best choices I ever made researching android tablets rather than going straight in and getting a new iPad

At one point, apple were very innovative and the iPhone was miles ahead of the competition, the iPad was also the only real modern tablet available for quite a while, but since Jobs past away, they've dried up each new release becoming more and more disappointing and every competitor getting stronger and stronger

Innovation is coming up with ideas like the PadFone, not a rectangle with rounded edges

I can guarentee in almost every scenario, there is another product that will do what you want an apple product to do for less

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
iPods are now pretty much a pointless device now anyway (or mp3 players in general) as smartphones now have the same amount of storage and have good music player apps that can do all that the iPod does as well as phone people

Couldn't disagree more! For music lovers, 32GB of iphone space that is populated by apps and other junk is no use for the storage of music. The iPod classic 160GB is what an audiophile looks for in a music player, to a degree anyway! They are still the best around, they can store a few songs, especially at CD quality. I've had my 80GB version since 2007, it's now 5 and half years old and I use it daily. Sadly, a lot of people aren't seeing the need in the iPod classic. I'm hoping apple don't phase them out! However, chances are they will as their buyers don't see this sort of thing in technology, they see like wozza said, a phone plus music player plus extra. No media player comes near the portability, capacity, charge life time, user friendliness of an iPod classic. It's as simple as that! As much as I love linux and android, and dislike apple, I don't think their iPhones are bad. Maybe a little overpriced but sometimes, they are exactly what people want in a phone and I don't think they are bad. As for their computers however, I have a strong distaste for them but we won't go there!! However, Mac OSX is well built, much better built than windows but it is very limiting. Also, hardware specific, which means it can optimise! As for the iPad, it was the best, and it is only now that companies like asus, samsung and now microsoft have got a grip of themselves. But back to the point of the lack of innovation...who came up with the first successful tablet? That every other company has tried to copy? Who came up with the first successful smartphone, that again, every company tried to copy? They don't lack innovation, but they do seem to struggle to dramatically improve a product after it has been introduced. Anyway, rant over!

mishra

Rising Star
I can guarentee in almost every scenario, there is another product that will do what you want an apple product to do for less
That's good actually. More competition for Apple, better iPhones will be and competition get better too! It will only mean good thing to us - customers :)

Yet, except the price maybe, there is nothing wrong in buying/owning and iPhone - it's a nice looking device. Does all the same stuff as any other phone and is easy to use, nothing wrong with that.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Couldn't disagree more! For music lovers, 32GB of iphone space that is populated by apps and other junk is no use for the storage of music. The iPod classic 160GB is what an audiophile looks for in a music player, to a degree anyway! They are still the best around, they can store a few songs, especially at CD quality. I've had my 80GB version since 2007, it's now 5 and half years old and I use it daily. Sadly, a lot of people aren't seeing the need in the iPod classic. I'm hoping apple don't phase them out! However, chances are they will as their buyers don't see this sort of thing in technology, they see like wozza said, a phone plus music player plus extra. No media player comes near the portability, capacity, charge life time, user friendliness of an iPod classic. It's as simple as that! As much as I love linux and android, and dislike apple, I don't think their iPhones are bad. Maybe a little overpriced but sometimes, they are exactly what people want in a phone and I don't think they are bad. As for their computers however, I have a strong distaste for them but we won't go there!! However, Mac OSX is well built, much better built than windows but it is very limiting. Also, hardware specific, which means it can optimise! As for the iPad, it was the best, and it is only now that companies like asus, samsung and now microsoft have got a grip of themselves. But back to the point of the lack of innovation...who came up with the first successful tablet? That every other company has tried to copy? Who came up with the first successful smartphone, that again, every company tried to copy? They don't lack innovation, but they do seem to struggle to dramatically improve a product after it has been introduced. Anyway, rant over!

Ok, I didnt think of the Classic at the time, that can still be very useful for people who have a tonne of music, but for your average user with say, 500 songs, a phone would be just fine, any phone with at least 32GB storage, I actually prefer the android media player to iPod app on the touch, I was mainly targetting the iPod touch and now the nano seeing as its getting closer and closer to the iPod Touch

I did mention that apple were very innovative to a point, and this was when jobs passed away that they lost this innovative style, ever since he died, there newer products have become less and less amazing and more and more just like the last one

The new iPhone basically adds
Slightly larger screen
Slightly faster processor (no way is it 2x, apples claims at speed have never been true)
Lighter and thinner
Slightly better camera
new port to render your old accessories useless (unless you pay £25 for an adapter)

I think thats pretty much it, I would have liked to have seen Retina+ as they probably would have called it

the lumia 920 added:
HD screen (higher PPI than iPhone)
Much bigger screen
Faster response on screen its 80Hz from what ive heard
Double RAM
Double CPU speed (1 extra core)
Added PureView camera (this is pretty awesome for a phone camera)
New funky colours but the same awesome and unique design

Obviously there is loads of little bits on each but these are the main things worth mentioning

I could easily be convinced to like Apple once more, but they would need to release a product that is truly miles ahead of the rest (like the iphone 1 was at the time) but atm they are playing catch up on both hardware and software to android, and possibly even windows now

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That's good actually. More competition for Apple, better iPhones will be and competition get better too! It will only mean good thing to us - customers :)

Yet, except the price maybe, there is nothing wrong in buying/owning and iPhone - it's a nice looking device. Does all the same stuff as any other phone and is easy to use, nothing wrong with that.

Yes, you certainly would hope for much better phones wouldnt you? but apple have just announced a product sub-par to many other phones and yet, there are still millions of people who have pre-ordered it, and these people do not even use it to its full potential, they just use it as a fashion accessory and try and get it out of their pockets whenever possible

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
there are still millions of people who have pre-ordered it, and these people do not even use it to its full potential, they just use it as a fashion accessory and try and get it out of their pockets whenever possible

Very true! And yes, 500 songs will fit onto 32GB but try asking the same question to an audiophile who has 20,000 songs!! I'd agree with the nano, it used to be tough, compact and fine for storage. But then, whats with the camera that arrived?? Now a touch screen, fine I'd agree, the UI of the iPod interface is better than that of the click wheel can cope with but it doesn't matter! The iPod touch is kinda going towards the younger kids that enjoy playing temple run. But I still love the classic, I am praying it doesn't go, it's the best apple product imo! I wish they would upgrade it to 240GB, toshiba have released a 240GB drive. But I think it's dual platter, so apple probably won't want to use it, they had that problem I think with the first 160GB versions, the dual platters shattered a bit easily. Anyway, I do agree with your statement of the name of apple. What apple are currently doing is evolution rather than a revolution. They were successful when they revolutionised the world with their products, now they seem to be sitting on their laurels, they need to keep revolutionising to keep with the other companies! Ah well, the next thing to look for is windows 8, I wonder what we will get from that!! 26 October it'll be coming out properly! And with it of course will be coming the surface..

Buzz

Master
Looks like apple are as strong as ever.

Apple sees incredible demand for iPhone 5

Outpaces iPhone 4, 4S demand on launch

Apple is facing unprecedented demand for the new iPhone 5 and preorder inventory of the new 4-inch handset has already been depleted.
An Apple spokesperson told AllThingsD that preorders for the new phone have been incredible and that the outfit has been “completely blown away by the customer response.”

Of course, Apple is not sharing any actual numbers but ship time estimates have already slipped to two to three weeks, indicating that the first batch was sold out in a matter of hours, if not minutes.

The iPhone 5 is hitting retail on September 21 and in case you don’t mind queuing you should hit the street right about now.

Source

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Very true! And yes, 500 songs will fit onto 32GB but try asking the same question to an audiophile who has 20,000 songs!! I'd agree with the nano, it used to be tough, compact and fine for storage. But then, whats with the camera that arrived?? Now a touch screen, fine I'd agree, the UI of the iPod interface is better than that of the click wheel can cope with but it doesn't matter! The iPod touch is kinda going towards the younger kids that enjoy playing temple run. But I still love the classic, I am praying it doesn't go, it's the best apple product imo! I wish they would upgrade it to 240GB, toshiba have released a 240GB drive. But I think it's dual platter, so apple probably won't want to use it, they had that problem I think with the first 160GB versions, the dual platters shattered a bit easily. Anyway, I do agree with your statement of the name of apple. What apple are currently doing is evolution rather than a revolution. They were successful when they revolutionised the world with their products, now they seem to be sitting on their laurels, they need to keep revolutionising to keep with the other companies! Ah well, the next thing to look for is windows 8, I wonder what we will get from that!! 26 October it'll be coming out properly! And with it of course will be coming the surface..

Im looking forward to W8 on phone and tablets, but i really dont see it as a desktop operating system, Im looking forward to picking up a lumia 920 when they hit the shelves and having a play around with w8, i played around with the 900 a bit in the shop and the w7.5 operating system was incredibly smooth for a single core device with 512mb RAM, absolutely no frame lag that you often get with iOS and android (even on the newest devices) I didnt get a chance to play any games but the idea of DX11 being on there sounds great and apparently makes it much easier for developers to directly port their PC/console games to the phone and tablet

Looks like apple are as strong as ever.

Apple sees incredible demand for iPhone 5

Outpaces iPhone 4, 4S demand on launch

Apple is facing unprecedented demand for the new iPhone 5 and preorder inventory of the new 4-inch handset has already been depleted.
An Apple spokesperson told AllThingsD that preorders for the new phone have been incredible and that the outfit has been “completely blown away by the customer response.”

Of course, Apple is not sharing any actual numbers but ship time estimates have already slipped to two to three weeks, indicating that the first batch was sold out in a matter of hours, if not minutes.

The iPhone 5 is hitting retail on September 21 and in case you don’t mind queuing you should hit the street right about now.

Source

Thats just how the iSheep train goes, its the latest fashion accessory and people have to have it, and people will say its just kids that fall for these trends but its not, adults are just as bad

Most people I know with iPhones have only ever tried a blackberry and not even looked at an android or windows phone, I think if you got the device into their hands for 30 minutes, a good amount of those people would go and get an SIII

A lot of people also think that android is just for cheap phones so they automatically think that anything on android is going to be rubbish even though hardware wise, there are many android phones that are now well ahead of the iPhone especially with a few phones being announced with the qualcomm quad core and one of them is even a full HD phone (1920x1080)

My prediction is that apple will beat their record once more with the iPhone and then it will go downhill, thats if they keep releasing disappointing products that is

Buzz

Master
Thats just how the iSheep train goes, its the latest fashion accessory and people have to have it, and people will say its just kids that fall for these trends but its not, adults are just as bad

Agree with that.

I have an Iphone 4 myself, but I have had many phones. I personally dont care who makes them. This year I might like Iphone next year I might get an android. I dont go in for all the hype or rubbish that goes along with them all. I get a phone for many reasons.

Price I can get it for, what networks it will use, what I use it for etc etc...

Weather its apple or samsung or what ever I couldnt care less.

cheshirecat765

Bronze Level Poster
I choose a phone that,
1 - makes calls
2 - texts
3 - can get emails on it,
4 - It's cheap!!!

Amen to that! After much thought whether i should upgrade to an iphone 5 or SIII i've decided i'm just gonna stick with my current phone and plan..I'm paying £10 a month for 100 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb internet. I don't use it up each month so i really don't see the point in buying an iphone or s3 just to say i have one. As long as i can send the occasional text and a quick call i'm happy!