Intel CPU's crashing in games

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So there's been a lot of upset gathering steam on the inter webs with intermittent games crashes on Intel 13th and 14th gen.

Workarounds range from underclocking to disabling ecores.

BUT, there are a lot of people finding that simply disabling hyperthreading is a proper solution.

The findings so far is that crashes are far more frequent on games developed on Unreal Engine 4 and 5, and I've certainly had a few examples of this where disabling hyper threading immediately corrected the issue.

Affected titles include Hogwarts Legacy, Fortnite, Remnant 2, Nightingale, and more.

No word from Intel as yet, but it does seem there may be a correlation as Intel have confirmed they're removing hyper threading from CPU's from now on

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've been helping a user on another forum with BSODs and freezes whilst gaming. The user is running an i9-13900K and an RTX4080 on an Asus Z790 Gaming A board. We'd managed to highlight the CPU as a likely cause and the user brilliantly came back with the solution. It's apparently a known issue with i9-13900K and i9-14900K CPUs. The solution (or workaround) is from Intel's own forum here...
Please try the following steps:
-Install XTU, run AVX2 test, and check if the processor passed that test, if it fails, please change the next BIOS settings:
Advanced (F7)
AI Tweaker
SVID Behavior: Change to “Intel’s Fail Safe”
-Reboot the OS and run XTU test again in order to confirm if the unit passed the AVX2 test
-Run the games as well and see if the issue happens again
Responses from this thread on the Intel forum are positive and the user I was helping also reports that this SVID change eliminated the BSODs and freezing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've been helping a user on another forum with BSODs and freezes whilst gaming. The user is running an i9-13900K and an RTX4080 on an Asus Z790 Gaming A board. We'd managed to highlight the CPU as a likely cause and the user brilliantly came back with the solution. It's apparently a known issue with i9-13900K and i9-14900K CPUs. The solution (or workaround) is from Intel's own forum here...

Responses from this thread on the Intel forum are positive and the user I was helping also reports that this SVID change eliminated the BSODs and freezing.
Looks like @ubuysa is entirely on to something here.

Turns out returns of Intel 13th and 14th Gen are so frequent in Korea that Intel have warranted opening an investigation into finding out the cause.

For Intel to open an investigation shows that they acknowledge there's a problem, Intel almost never do that, since the 12th Gen with the enormous heat causing warping, they've denied any kind of issue that's affected each platform since, but looks like there's just too much evidence now not to raise an official investigation.

Early reports are that due to the ridiculously high temperatures, the silicon is actually starting to degrade after around 3 months of use literally leading to core meltdown! Nothing has been said officially though so take everything with a pinch of salt at this stage.

If you are facing any kind of instability with your Intel chip and don’t have any luck with @ubuysa thread above, undervolting should be the first step to see if you can find some stability, IMHO, under clocking is totally rediculous and if you're finding that's the only way to get it stable, I'd seek an RMA rather than settling with nerfed performance on a very expensive CPU!

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Should just point everyone looking at a 14900k build to watch the last 5 minutes of that vid. It sums it up for me. Amps & Temp pushed way further than the silicone can handle in order to beat AMD at metrics. No consideration whatsoever to the consumer for the £600 paperweight they could end up with.

Added bonus of a CPU that can potentially be held inside 100C with an AIO too.

Curious if Puget are running Intel governed limits on their testing benchmarks etc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Should just point everyone looking at a 14900k build to watch the last 5 minutes of that vid. It sums it up for me. Amps & Temp pushed way further than the silicone can handle in order to beat AMD at metrics. No consideration whatsoever to the consumer for the £600 paperweight they could end up with.

Added bonus of a CPU that can potentially be held inside 100C with an AIO too.

Curious if Puget are running Intel governed limits on their testing benchmarks etc.
The other question is so far, this seems to only have been reported in the gaming community, but judging by the findings so far, I think it’s likely that professional users may have stronger cooling setups that are perhaps delaying the degradation, if not preventing it with hardcore coolers.

But I suspect this will become more widespread outside of gaming within 3 months.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unofficial update from Intel to board partners made public by Igor of Igors Labs, they blame board manufacturers out of the gate, but admit the root cause hasn't been identified.

Bear in mind a lot of these issues occur with brand new CPU's out of the packaging. The over voltage settings set by some board manufacturers could certainly contribute to deterioration over a period of time, but the issue isn't limited to that.

This will reduce performance slightly putting in proper limits.

The other thing I don't understand about this is that a lot of people have said that disabling hyperthreading has stopped the issue from occuring, but without applying the proper limits on the board power profile. I don't understand enough about the workings of CPU's at this level, but don't really understand the correlation between hyperthreading and ramping up excess voltages. Intel have been pushing to do away with Hyperthreading since 9th Gen, and only haven't due to public backlash, but it's been loosely confirmed that 15th Gen onwards won't have hyperthreading.

Last edited: