Im a gamer!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well, after decades of thinking that gamers should get out more, I've become a gamer myself. I've just bought the F1 Manager 2023 game, which means I've had to learn the vagaries of Steam too.

Is there a secret handshake I should know? How about a hat or tee-shirt I should get? A badge perhaps?

Does being a gamer make me cool? Even at 72 years old? 🤣

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Well, after decades of thinking that gamers should get out more, I've become a gamer myself. I've just bought the F1 Manager 2023 game, which means I've had to learn the vagaries of Steam too.

Is there a secret handshake I should know? How about a hat or tee-shirt I should get? A badge perhaps?

My parents tell me to get out more, but after 33 years next month of not listening to them, I'm not going anywhere!

I think all gamers are cool, but then I am a bit biased!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

You're never too old to find the benefits of gaming! I'm so pleased for you! This opens up a whole can of worms, especially with Steam, the amount of free giveaways, you end up just collecting loads of titles with no intention of playing them, then one rainy day you stick one on to kill a few hours and BLAMO, suddenly you're pre ordering AAA releases a year before release date while they're still in Alpha!

If you're interested in some free games, it's worth installing Epic launcher as they have giveaways each week at 4pm UK time, usually they're pretty awful 15 year old rubbish, but once in a while they're seriously good titles.

Disclaimer: be aware that Epic launcher will almost certainly compromise your house by injecting nano bots into your toothbrush who then start building T-600 in a factory they build under your floor while you're sleeping.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Does being a gamer make me cool? Even at 72 years old

sdf - Copy - Copy.png

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Disclaimer: be aware that Epic launcher will almost certainly compromise your house by injecting nano bots into your toothbrush who then start building T-600 in a factory they build under your floor while you're sleeping.

weirdly specific, but im sure its fine

cough Skynetvinyltracks

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If you're interested in some free games, it's worth installing Epic launcher as they have giveaways each week at 4pm UK time, usually they're pretty awful 15 year old rubbish, but once in a while they're seriously good titles.
Don't know how long I've had it but played one of those yesterday called "The Whisperer" , that's about 45 minutes I'll never get back 😂 😂

Welcome to the club @ubuysa 😂

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think I'm going to be a one-game guy. I've been immersed in F1 for decades and it's really the F1 aspect the sucked me in rather than 'being a gamer'. But thanks for the welcome! 😎

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think I'm going to be a one-game guy. I've been immersed in F1 for decades and it's really the F1 aspect the sucked me in rather than 'being a gamer'. But thanks for the welcome! 😎
Yes, but as you broaden your appreciation of what's out there, there's R Factor, The Grand Prix series games, then you broaden out into Forza, Assetto, Need for Speed, Grand Tourismo..... there is no end to the enjoyment

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Going down the down-selling route, something like Motorsport Manager is probably worth a look. It's the same sort of game as F1 Manager, but features more depth as it has 3 different types of racing. The F1 Manager series are known for being a little shallow in terms of not much depth in the strategies of running a team, although I believe this year's game is better than previous years.

It's unlicenced, so there's no real world drivers (although there's a German driver racing at an Italian F1-style open wheel racing company and the game was released when Vettel was at Ferrari, so you can probably suss out who a particular ingame driver was inspired by), but it can be fun to scout endurance drivers who may be eligible for open wheel racing and vice versa. There's also a lot of mods that do feature real world drivers, teams, etc, and once you've gotten your head around Steam, the Steam Workshop makes adding those mods fairly easy to do.

It's £14.99 as standard now, but it often drops to £9.99 or £4.99 when the big Steam sales are on which is every few months. Might be worth a look at Christmas, for example.