Idle temp for PCS overclocked I7 950

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Hi, what should the expected idle temp be for the above?

I get the following:

Core #0 - 53C
Core #1 - 46C
Core #2 - 52C
Core #3 - 48C

This is with the Coolit ECO ALC, is this normal?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely fine - 40's and 50's are cool, start worrying only when it starts to boil...

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Absolutely fine - 40's and 50's are cool, start worrying only when it starts to boil...

Thanks for the re-assurance. Would I be able to revert the I7 950 back to stock? If so how and would it void warranty also how much would you expect the temps to go down by?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
You won't void your warranty. You can revert back by resetting the BIOS to defaults, but noting your hard drive boot mode (IDE/AHCI/RAID) and ensuring it is re-configured back to this afterwards should it change.

However, why reset? There's no need whatsoever, the temps are fine.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
What I am finding annoying is the failed overclock message that seems to randomly come up when booting up the machine. Cannot seem to work out what is causing it.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
What I am finding annoying is the failed overclock message that seems to randomly come up when booting up the machine. Cannot seem to work out what is causing it.

This message is usually caused by an incorrect shut-down the previous time the computer was shut-down or re-booted.

mattyp89

Hey I have the same overclocked i7 950 with the titan fernier cooler. I was having the same problems as the guy above, failed overclock message at boot, and my temperatures at idle were around 70 degrees, raising too around 100 under load. After getting fed up of overclocking messages, i decided to return the settings to default 3.06ghz. Since doing that i have had no problems with startup, and my temperatures are now 40 degrees idle, getting to just over 70 under load.

BAD SANTA

Alright you guys, as for your temps i7s run really hot, I mean really hot, 100c under load is too high and the CPU would automatically shut down. What temp program are you using ,the most accurate is realtemp. Anyways your temp should not reach 100 I would call pcs because your cooler might not be seated properly. Temps of 85-90 are about normal on a overclocked i7 on a air cooler under load. I hope this helps.

BAD SANTA

Have I got somthing wrong? I have heard that i7s run super hot and that 85 full load on prime is ok because under normal conditions ie gaming and such you will never reach anywhere near that, its just that I saw a post from phoenix and he said it should not reach 62, i'm confused.

Gorman

Author Level
Have I got somthing wrong? I have heard that i7s run super hot and that 85 full load on prime is ok because under normal conditions ie gaming and such you will never reach anywhere near that, its just that I saw a post from phoenix and he said it should not reach 62, i'm confused.

If Pheonix did say that i am going to presume he is talking about AMD CPU's.

85 under prime is nothing for an I7. It would probably burn out an AMD chip.

Also, i feel it needs repeating here.

Idle temps calculated from tjmax can be upto 10-20 degrees out. Tjmax readings only become accurate when near to the tjmax, so if the I7 has a tjmax of 100c, i would take anything under 75c with a grain of salt. So to recap.

Using any program that employs the tjmax to calculate temps can be inaccurate at low temps, so for a reading of lets say 30c idle, it could actually be anywhere between 10c-50c. Of course on AMD cpus the tjmax is lower.

Stappa

Enthusiast
Hi, what should the expected idle temp be for the above?

I get the following:

Core #0 - 53C
Core #1 - 46C
Core #2 - 52C
Core #3 - 48C

This is with the Coolit ECO ALC, is this normal?

My I7 950 @3.8GHz with a Titan Fenrir Rev2 runs at(after3 hrs general use):

GPU 37c
System 28c
CPU 32c
core1 32c
Core2 29c
Core3 29c
Core4 31c

as to some of your having O/C failures,I had one O/C fail which was after a Sleep/Standby,I have now disabled the Standby mode and touch wood no O/C fail?

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
My I7 950 @3.8GHz with a Titan Fenrir Rev2 runs at(after3 hrs general use):

GPU 37c
System 28c
CPU 32c
core1 32c
Core2 29c
Core3 29c
Core4 31c

as to some of your having O/C failures,I had one O/C fail which was after a Sleep/Standby,I have now disabled the Standby mode and touch wood no O/C fail?

Very impressive temps, my temps never go below 45C. What software are you using to monitor your temps?

BAD SANTA

I use realtemp and my i7950 oc @ 3.8 idle is about 40, during hard gaming is about 60 and under prime full load is about 82.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Now I am really confused. With speedfan 4.42 my readings are as follows:

core 0: 35C
core 1: 34C
core 2: 28C
core 3: 28C
core 4: 33C
core 5: 33C
core 6: 28C
core 7: 28C

In bios the CPU temp is shown as 42.5C and with HWmonitor I get 50C. Which if any are the correct readings?

Growltiger

Bronze Level Poster
If any of them are right, probably the BIOS temp. You should ignore all these and install the standard program, Realtemp, which is what everyone uses.

BAD SANTA

Yes realtemp is the most accurate temp reading program my lowest at idle is 39 and my highest is 45, under hard gaming I get 65 as max and 59 as lowest and under full load on prime I get max core 84 and lowest core 79 as far as I am aware they are totally fine.