I have a lame duck.......

Xavien

Enthusiast
Well its not a duck really but it really is lame :)

I made a mistake a few years back.....i bought a dell laptop ahhhhh!

Apart from not being able to understand anyone at tech support in dell, when i bought my laptop i made sure to buy the uber battery which extended the user time by an hour or so.

I really should have looked into it a bit more because the battery is notorious for failing. I probably used the battery once or twice (it was out of warranty when it died on me) and now if i want to buy a dell battery for it its going to cost me £150 which is nearly half the price i paid for the original laptop.

Im not a great fan of dell at all and ive been told that i have to buy a dell battery to replace it but im wondering if thats true so i wanted to see if theres any advice anyone can give me.

Heres the bat specs

Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Rating 11.1V Type KD476 85Wh

The reviews of the battery on the dell site are awful, loads of people have had two or three of them replaced within a year and dell seem to refuse to fix what really seems to be a defective product.

Im hoping its possible to get a cheaper replacement somewhere. Otherwise i think i might be better off just throwing out the laptop and getting one that isnt a dell.

steveuk87

Super Star
first off Dell are extremely unhelpful for tech support/repair so you wont get any luck, and also they make you pay through the nose for everything!! and most/all their parts are custom made so you cant mix/match :( try ebay see if u can get a cheap replacement

Steve

Xavien

Enthusiast
Its probably my only hope just like obe wan i guess. I actually laughed when first looking at buying the new pc i have now, the alienware (dell) eqivilent of my set up would have cost me a further £2000!

Sleinous

Author Level
Well its not a duck really but it really is lame :)

I made a mistake a few years back.....i bought a dell laptop ahhhhh!

Apart from not being able to understand anyone at tech support in dell, when i bought my laptop i made sure to buy the uber battery which extended the user time by an hour or so.

I really should have looked into it a bit more because the battery is notorious for failing. I probably used the battery once or twice (it was out of warranty when it died on me) and now if i want to buy a dell battery for it its going to cost me £150 which is nearly half the price i paid for the original laptop.

Im not a great fan of dell at all and ive been told that i have to buy a dell battery to replace it but im wondering if thats true so i wanted to see if theres any advice anyone can give me.

Heres the bat specs

Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Rating 11.1V Type KD476 85Wh

The reviews of the battery on the dell site are awful, loads of people have had two or three of them replaced within a year and dell seem to refuse to fix what really seems to be a defective product.

Im hoping its possible to get a cheaper replacement somewhere. Otherwise i think i might be better off just throwing out the laptop and getting one that isnt a dell.

When this happened with my first Sony Vaio laptop (6 years old now) I just got the cable hardwired into the computer :) meant it was no longer portable but I knew i'd get a new one soon anyway so it was just temporary.

Gorman

Author Level
There is always an "alternative" availiable on Ebay and the like for cheap. However wether it does more harm than good is usually luck of the draw.

Xavien

Enthusiast
Im not sure it could do any more harm to a dell laptop :) i dont use it very often but its a handy thing to have but without a battery its not so handy :) i dont need anything to fantastic so i think after ive paid for this system i may look into getting another one. I know alot of people swear by dell, but for me i only swear at them :p