I have a flaky keyboard key

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have a Corsair K70, which has served me well for over a year. In the last few days one of the keys has become intermittently unresponsive. It's the full stop/period key so it's kind of important. If I hit it fairly hard it works every time, but if I use a normal touch it fails to input about 40% of the time.

Is there any special cleaning stuff I can spray in that key to fix this, or am I looking at trying to replace the key?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a Corsair K70, which has served me well for over a year. In the last few days one of the keys has become intermittently unresponsive. It's the full stop/period key so it's kind of important. If I hit it fairly hard it works every time, but if I use a normal touch it fails to input about 40% of the time.

Is there any special cleaning stuff I can spray in that key to fix this, or am I looking at trying to replace the key?
You can remove the caps on the Corsair keyboards a factually replace the individual switch if you find it's that that's problematic. It's a bit fiddly but quite fun of you're used to a soldering iron

But to clean it, if you remove the key cap, you may get lucky and it's just a bit of dirt

You can use isopropyl alcohol with a microfiber cloth to clean the switch

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for this, but that's what I was trying to avoid. I am well used to soldering small parts on circuit boards but I'm not sure I want to be bothered. I was hoping there might be some magic contact cleaner spray that I could spray in there.....?

I'm going to be replacing the PC next year (delayed from this year) and I'll probably just buy a new keyboard as well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for this, but that's what I was trying to avoid. I am well used to soldering small parts on circuit boards but I'm not sure I want to be bothered. I was hoping there might be some magic contact cleaner spray that I could spray in there.....?

I'm going to be replacing the PC next year (delayed from this year) and I'll probably just buy a new keyboard as well.
Yeah, totally get that.

If you get a replacement keyboard, a lot of the new ones have properly replaceable hot swappable switches, like Duckys or Wootings.

It's become much more standardised now, although not so much on the major brands I think.