How to completely wipe hard drive, then re-install windows?

pcman12

Since I am getting a new laptop very soon, I would like to wipe my current pc and then re-install windows on it, for somebody else to use.
How do I go about doing so?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Since I am getting a new laptop very soon, I would like to wipe my current pc and then re-install windows on it, for somebody else to use.

There is a welcome pack booklet included with step by step instructions on how to do a clean installation of windows.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
When doing a clean install with your OS disk,select the "format" option.

kam67

Enthusiast
I have a related question with regards to reinstalling windows. I know that I would need to install gpu and audio drivers - but am unclear whether I would need to install drivers from intel and asus or rely on native windows drivers in the case of usb and sata. I mention these two components because I was overwhelmed by the number of different drivers under both these sections on the asus support page for my motherboard. I am also unclear whether chipset drivers are automatically installed by windows or need to be installed separately. It would be great if there was a sticky re formating and reinsalling windows and drivers.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I have a related question with regards to reinstalling windows. I know that I would need to install gpu and audio drivers - but am unclear whether I would need to install drivers from intel and asus or rely on native windows drivers in the case of usb and sata. I mention these two components because I was overwhelmed by the number of different drivers under both these sections on the asus support page for my motherboard. I am also unclear whether chipset drivers are automatically installed by windows or need to be installed separately. It would be great if there was a sticky re formating and reinsalling windows and drivers.
I always do a clean install in this order,first back up any data you want to keep then go ahead with the install,then
Install drivers,motherboard drivers first,insert motherboard disk and run setup,
then install GPU driver from disk provided,you can always update this later if you want from
manufacturers website.
nvidia http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk
amd http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Check in device manager that all is well.
Activate windows if not already done.
Install antivirus program,then run windows update.

kam67

Enthusiast
Thanks, Vanthus - so you would install motherboard drivers from the DVD or is it best to install latest ones from the Asus download page?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Thanks, Vanthus - so you would install motherboard drivers from the DVD or is it best to install latest ones from the Asus download page?
Personally,I would install from driver disks provided,then look for updates later if necessary.