High temperatures on CPU

nizato

Hello everyone, recently in January, I bought a new laptop with the following periphals:
Caixas e Ecrãs
Ecrã LED Elimina Series de 15,6" mate, Full HD 144 Hz 72% NTSC panorâmico (1920x1080)
Processador (CPU)
Processador Intel® Core™ i7-13620H de quatorze núcleos (4.90 GHz Turbo)
Memória (RAM)
64GB PCS PRO SODIMM DDR4 3200 MHz (2 x 32GB)
Placa Gráfica
6 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3050 - GDDR6 Vídeo RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1º Disco SSD M.2
1TB CORSAIR CORE XT MP600 M.2 SSD, PCIe NVMe (até 5000MB/R, 3500MB/W)
2º Disco SSD M.2
512GB SSD PCS PCIe M.2 (até 3500MB/R, 3100MB/W)
Leitor de Cartão de Memória
Leitor de cartão de memória Micro-SD integrado
Adaptador AC
1 Adaptador CA de 150 W
Cabo de Alimentação
1 x cabo de alimentação IEC C5–Tipo F (Europa) de 1,5 metro
Bateria
Bateria de Iões de Lítio Integrada de 54WH Elimina Series
Pasta Térmica
COMPOSTO TÉRMICO DE CONDUTIVIDADE EXTREMA ARCTIC MX-4

Since then, im having no issues with the laptop and everything is totally fine and I dont have any performance issue, but there is something that worries me...
While its on idle or only using daily things, the temperatures of cpu and gpu are totally fine (50/60ºC) but when im gaming (fifa,cs2 or anything else that is more heavy), the GPU rises up to 85ºC max and that for me its totally fine, but the CPU reaches 100ºC and stays from 95ºC to 100ºC all the time that im playing.I have even used HWMonitor and the CPU reaches the red number (100ºC).
I have searched being worried about that but I dont know if it is normal or not on this type of laptops or if there is any problem with it.
Even though it doesnt affect me (even if its really hot and noisy), im more worried about long time problems.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello everyone, recently in January, I bought a new laptop with the following periphals:
Caixas e Ecrãs
Ecrã LED Elimina Series de 15,6" mate, Full HD 144 Hz 72% NTSC panorâmico (1920x1080)
Processador (CPU)
Processador Intel® Core™ i7-13620H de quatorze núcleos (4.90 GHz Turbo)
Memória (RAM)
64GB PCS PRO SODIMM DDR4 3200 MHz (2 x 32GB)
Placa Gráfica
6 GB NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3050 - GDDR6 Vídeo RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1º Disco SSD M.2
1TB CORSAIR CORE XT MP600 M.2 SSD, PCIe NVMe (até 5000MB/R, 3500MB/W)
2º Disco SSD M.2
512GB SSD PCS PCIe M.2 (até 3500MB/R, 3100MB/W)
Leitor de Cartão de Memória
Leitor de cartão de memória Micro-SD integrado
Adaptador AC
1 Adaptador CA de 150 W
Cabo de Alimentação
1 x cabo de alimentação IEC C5–Tipo F (Europa) de 1,5 metro
Bateria
Bateria de Iões de Lítio Integrada de 54WH Elimina Series
Pasta Térmica
COMPOSTO TÉRMICO DE CONDUTIVIDADE EXTREMA ARCTIC MX-4

Since then, im having no issues with the laptop and everything is totally fine and I dont have any performance issue, but there is something that worries me...
While its on idle or only using daily things, the temperatures of cpu and gpu are totally fine (50/60ºC) but when im gaming (fifa,cs2 or anything else that is more heavy), the GPU rises up to 85ºC max and that for me its totally fine, but the CPU reaches 100ºC and stays from 95ºC to 100ºC all the time that im playing.I have even used HWMonitor and the CPU reaches the red number (100ºC).
I have searched being worried about that but I dont know if it is normal or not on this type of laptops or if there is any problem with it.
Even though it doesnt affect me (even if its really hot and noisy), im more worried about long time problems.
Did you order with or without windows?

nizato

But you paid for a license did you? Or did you order without a license?
In my periphals i have a windows code with some letters and numbers(the license) Are you meaning that? And i also have a usb pen but i will send the rest of the peripherals:
Placa de Som
Alta def. canal 2 Áudio + Studio SoundBlaster™

Bluetooth e Sem Fios
GIGABIT LAN E INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 SEM FIOS + BT 5.3

Opções USB/Thunderbolt
2 x PORTAS USB 3.2 (Tipo C) + 1 x PORTA USB 3.2 + 1 x PORTA USB 2.0

Idioma do Teclado
TECLADO PORTUGUÊS RETROILUMINADO MULTI-COR ELIMINA 15" SERIES

Sistema Operativo
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Licença Única
down_right_arrow.gif
.....-.......-......-......-.....
Idioma do Sistema Operativo
Portugal/Portugal - Idioma Português

Recuperação de Windows
Imagem de Recuperação do Windows 11 Home Multi-Línguas - Fornecido num Pendrive USB

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In my periphals i have a windows code with some letters and numbers(the license) Are you meaning that? And i also have a usb pen but i will send the rest of the peripherals:
Placa de Som
Alta def. canal 2 Áudio + Studio SoundBlaster™

Bluetooth e Sem Fios
GIGABIT LAN E INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 SEM FIOS + BT 5.3

Opções USB/Thunderbolt
2 x PORTAS USB 3.2 (Tipo C) + 1 x PORTA USB 3.2 + 1 x PORTA USB 2.0

Idioma do Teclado
TECLADO PORTUGUÊS RETROILUMINADO MULTI-COR ELIMINA 15" SERIES

Sistema Operativo
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Licença Única
down_right_arrow.gif
.....-.......-......-......-.....
Idioma do Sistema Operativo
Portugal/Portugal - Idioma Português

Recuperação de Windows
Imagem de Recuperação do Windows 11 Home Multi-Línguas - Fornecido num Pendrive USB
Ok, cool, thanks.

It certainly shouldn't be hitting 100c, that does suggest an issue with the cooling / paste application.

But we need to be sure that control center is installed and properly working as that will have an effect on temperatures if it isn't.

Can you post a screenshot of your optional updates page from windows update?

nizato

I used control center and HWMonitor at the same time, and they correspond. Im not sure if GPU temperature is fine but I searched and they say 85ºC max is not an issue. Here I send what you asked:
Appreciate the help.
1711840606524.png

nizato

I found them. I have 2 available. Something I realized, is that I have changed the energy options that were referring to max capacity from CPU and that made a huge difference from 100ºC to 80-90ºC (maybe less) so I know that the laptop is able to run games at the same way in a much different temperature so I feel something here is not right.

1711841485278.png
1711841631970.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I found them. I have 2 available. Something I realized, is that I have changed the energy options that were referring to max capacity from CPU and that made a huge difference from 100ºC to 80-90ºC (maybe less) so I know that the laptop is able to run games at the same way in a much different temperature so I feel something here is not right.

View attachment 40643View attachment 40644
It would suggest a bad paste job, or that the heatsink isn't correctly on the CPU.

I would personally clean the existing paste off with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth, and then apply a Kryo Sheet, they don't degrade like paste does and will last the lifetime of the laptop, they're also better performance than paste. Just need to get the right size for your CPU / GPU. Be aware they are electrically conductive so you need to be sure it's the correct size and not overhanging and touching anything on the board.

Then put the CPU usage setting back to 100% (it should work absolutely fine on that).

If it's still overheating after that, then I'd request an RMA and get it looked at.

nizato

I dont understand much of it but I will probably send the laptop to someone who is able to make that for me. What I think its wierd is that while im gaming, the CPU is not at 100% usage (I have tested now cs2 and it reaches sometimes 98ºC at only 50% usage max because GPU is doing most of it). So the only possible way to fix this is send it to someone who can replace the thermal paste? I even selected to most expensive one to avoid problems but guess I was unlucky...
I appreciate the help I will send updates

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
(I have tested now cs2 and it reaches sometimes 98ºC at only 50% usage
That's really bad and suggests there's a really terrible paste job, or that the heatsink isn't applied properly.

Don't take it to a repair people as that will void your warranty, if you're uncomfortable doing it yourself, request an RMA through your account.

But replacing thermal paste is bog standard maintenance that you're going to have to get comfortable doing if you own a custom laptop, there's no getting away from it, you'll have quite a sharp learning curve to be able to get the most out of the laptop. That's why I always suggest the cryo sheet because you never have to change it, whereas with paste you have to replace it once a year.

nizato

That's really bad and suggests there's a really terrible paste job, or that the heatsink isn't applied properly.

Don't take it to a repair people as that will void your warranty, if you're uncomfortable doing it yourself, request an RMA through your account.

But replacing thermal paste is bog standard maintenance that you're going to have to get comfortable doing if you own a custom laptop, there's no getting away from it, you'll have quite a sharp learning curve to be able to get the most out of the laptop. That's why I always suggest the cryo sheet because you never have to change it, whereas with paste you have to replace it once a year.

nizato

The problem of RMA was the time it would take since its a different country. But, even though I dont understand much of it I saw some videos of how to change thermal paste and then I opened the back of my laptop and saw some numbers (12 or 13 screws) around the heatsink and the CPU and GPU. So I guess it would be to unscrew them and then replace the thermal paste? Do you consider an easy task even though I never ever looked inside a laptop? Im just afraid xD

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The problem of RMA was the time it would take since its a different country. But, even though I dont understand much of it I saw some videos of how to change thermal paste and then I opened the back of my laptop and saw some numbers (12 or 13 screws) around the heatsink and the CPU and GPU. So I guess it would be to unscrew them and then replace the thermal paste? Do you consider an easy task even though I never ever looked inside a laptop? Im just afraid xD
It’s standard maintenance. But as already said, don’t put paste, put a cryo sheet.

You’re going to have to take it apart once a year to clean out heatsinks and fans anyway, so you need to learn.

nizato

I have sent it to RMA, since Im worried it can be a bigger problem (related to heatsinks) and I dont wanna change nothing for now since I have warranty. I appreciate the help you gave me thank you a lot :)

nizato

It’s standard maintenance. But as already said, don’t put paste, put a cryo sheet.

You’re going to have to take it apart once a year to clean out heatsinks and fans anyway, so you need to lea
Hi spyder so I have sent it to RMA and I explained my situation (CPU was reaching all the time 95-100ºC when playing something a little bit more heavy.)
Meanwhile they have sent me a report that yes, there was actually a problem and that it was fixed (and the laptop was on stress all night and sucessfully passed all tests) but they didnt tell me what has been done
Today that I ve recieved it, the first thing ive done was trying CS2 and it remains the same problem
The CPU reaches 95-98ºC while im playing
I´ve only tried to play for 5 minutes but I suppose it will remain this way if i play it for more then 5 minutes
What should I try now? is it the game that is bad optimized since it has only 1 year?
Should I try stress test?!
Is it the laptop configuration or the heatsinker not good enough?
Im lost now since I´ve sent it to RMA and it remains the same.
And it had to be a problem in the laptop because they say that if I sent to RMA and they dont find problems, I have to pay the value of transportation

:(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi spyder so I have sent it to RMA and I explained my situation (CPU was reaching all the time 95-100ºC when playing something a little bit more heavy.)
Meanwhile they have sent me a report that yes, there was actually a problem and that it was fixed (and the laptop was on stress all night and sucessfully passed all tests) but they didnt tell me what has been done
Today that I ve recieved it, the first thing ive done was trying CS2 and it remains the same problem
The CPU reaches 95-98ºC while im playing
I´ve only tried to play for 5 minutes but I suppose it will remain this way if i play it for more then 5 minutes
What should I try now? is it the game that is bad optimized since it has only 1 year?
Should I try stress test?!
Is it the laptop configuration or the heatsinker not good enough?
Im lost now since I´ve sent it to RMA and it remains the same.
And it had to be a problem in the laptop because they say that if I sent to RMA and they dont find problems, I have to pay the value of transportation

:(
It’s likely they’ve just done a repaste which is normal once a year to maintain thermals.

Intels run extremely hot, they’re not very good chips, Intel tried to get around it by saying thermal throttling was by design which is utter nonsense.

BUT! 98c while definitely hot is not at the thermal throttling level of 100c so there is improvement. So long as it’s not thermal throttling it may be the best you can get with that cpu in that chassis.

This is why a kryo sheet is so good because it doesn’t deteriorate and is actually more effective than thermal paste in reducing temps.

Have you reinstalled windows at all since all this? You never posted your full specs so we don't know if you installed windows yourself? If windows isn't configured correctly, then Control Center won't be able to work properly, and Control Center manages the power limits on the CPU and GPU and the fan controls. If Control Center isn't properly installed, then it will overheat as a result.

nizato

Hey, thanks for the quick response.
So, yes there is a slight difference but 2-3ºC but if you say its important I believe in you xD
HWMonitor says that max temps are 100ºC but if its not all the time I believe its not a problem.
And no, I havent reinstalled windows even though I gave them permission to do it.
Could it be that? Because the temps dont stay high all the time (even not in idle if I have many tabs open and some program it remains quiet)
Meanwhile, I will remain the new thermal for some months now but then go to a laptop store to see if they can put the kyro sheet
Or do you recommend the fastest possible?

nizato

Something that might be important that I havent referred is that my drivers from Intel Driver & Support dont work...I search for new drivers and it gives me error
I have installed, uninstall and it keeps the same
Can it be that?