High end laptop for gaming/streaming/video editing

Stephen M

Author Level
I always use a laptop cooler with my Octane, with a laptop that powerful heat is always going to be an issue and even if the cooler only drops the temperature a few degrees it is worth it to prolong the life of the machine.
One things worth checking before you buy, either check in a shop where you can see the cooling pad or see if someone here has one as there are a few coolers which claim to fit laptops up to 17.3" inch but the reality is a bit different with quite a bit of overlap as the computer balances on top of the tray.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's also worth remembering that the one thing a li-ion battery hates is heat, so a decent cooling pad prolongs the life of the battery as well as the laptop.

If you don't fancy 'wasting' a USB port powering the cooling pad or you think the extra power draw will cause more heat, then dig out an old USB phone charger and plug the cooling pad into that.

Stephen M

Author Level
My current cooling pad the power lead has a pass through USB so I can power the pad and still have the USB port to use, in my case for a mouse. There are also a few cooling pads about that have one or more USB ports built in.

St3rling

Bronze Level Poster
Seems like you guys are doing fine with it so I shall consider it too then, well I could give it a shot, in this case do you have any recommendations? :)

Flo

Silver Level Poster
I am using this one at the moment. Had this Targus for more than 2 years until one of the fans failed. The Targus one didn't lower temps too much but blocked pretty much all dust from getting into the laptop and was comfortable to use on your lap. The current one seems to lower temps by around 5 degrees but not very practical unless using it on a desk. It really depends how you plan on using the laptop. Both of them fitted my 17" Defiance very nicely.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I got a KLIM Cyclone delivered today, should I be able to feel any wind from the tray? Its nice and silent but not really sure if its pushing enough air to make a difference