Help setting up a 2nd monitor

a_quiet_gamer

Hi
I posted last year asking for help customising a PC for light gaming and you helped me and I’m super happy with it. So thank you. I was informed that I should be able to use 2 screens (as an expansion not duplication - hope that makes sense). I’m no tech expert.
I have a second monitor but don’t yet have a cable to connect it from monitor to PC. My knowledge with these things is v poor. I can see multiple places on my PC that I could add a monitor: I think there is a space to plug into on the video card where my current monitor is going from but also space at the very top next to all the USB slots - I assume this is the just the basic graphics area. Where do I need to plus it so it can work?
the monitor is basic and can do DVI or VGA type.
graphics card (assuming that’s what it is)has the HDMI used with current monitor and a DVI (plus something else that I don’t recognise)
Other / basic area has HDMI and DVI.
I understand I can get a cable that goes from one type to the other but don’t want to get e.g. a HDMI to VGA if the graphics card is what has to be used
hopefully all that makes sense. Thanks for your help

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi
I posted last year asking for help customising a PC for light gaming and you helped me and I’m super happy with it. So thank you. I was informed that I should be able to use 2 screens (as an expansion not duplication - hope that makes sense). I’m no tech expert.
I have a second monitor but don’t yet have a cable to connect it from monitor to PC. My knowledge with these things is v poor. I can see multiple places on my PC that I could add a monitor: I think there is a space to plug into on the video card where my current monitor is going from but also space at the very top next to all the USB slots - I assume this is the just the basic graphics area. Where do I need to plus it so it can work?
the monitor is basic and can do DVI or VGA type.
graphics card (assuming that’s what it is)has the HDMI used with current monitor and a DVI (plus something else that I don’t recognise)
Other / basic area has HDMI and DVI.
I understand I can get a cable that goes from one type to the other but don’t want to get e.g. a HDMI to VGA if the graphics card is what has to be used
hopefully all that makes sense. Thanks for your help
You would need to plug it into any spare port on the video card.

a_quiet_gamer

Any idea what the spare port I’m seeing is? The one on the right ?
0038CB62-62F2-4F7F-96F5-664E17A78580.jpeg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
To the OP, if I'm reading your query right......

You want a DVI cable to connect your older generation monitor to the PC you have. You plug the DVI in on the left of the picture of the rear of the video card then should connect directly to your monitor.

Once you have done this, right click on the desktop and click "Display Settings". Once in here you should see a graphic of the 2 monitors side by side. If you click "Identify" this will show you the order of the monitors. If they are in the wrong order, simply drag and drop them to align them to your uses. Once you have done this, scroll down and look for a dropdown that may or may not say "Duplicate this display". You want to select "Extend these displays". Once you have it set, just click "Apply" and you should be good to go.