Help needed in installing OS

endykay

Basically my new pc/laptop arrived today and i was anxious to start installing windows 7 32-bit professional on it, however, the BIOS message came up with first:

"check cable connection!"
then
"no bootable device"

So here's the specs:
-i5 (64-bit)
-4gb memory
-250+ HDD
-DVD +R optical drive
-sys bios F.09
-enigma i7
etc etc

the win7 is an ISO on a DVD -R

Wasn't exactly sure where to start with this problem, so I gave an old XP SP2 disk a try which resulted in:

-entering windows set-up
-loading files
-starting windows then INSTANTLY giving me the horrific blue screen:

Stop 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Am I missing something completely obvious -which I have a feeling I am-? Or is it a hardware/driver fault? Any help is appreciated thanks!

Maestro

Yes, you need to tell the laptop where to boot from, at the moment it is trying to boot from a network. Put the cd in the laptop, and immediately after you turn it on start tapping the F12 key. This will bring up the boot menu. From the boot menu select the dvd drive. After you have selected the correct drive watch for the message asking if you want to boot from cd or dvd, and at this point hit enter. This happens quite fast and it is easy to miss it.

endykay

Thanks for the super-fast reply, but I had already changed BIOS settings to boot straight from DVD/CD drive, just to be sure I reset the settings to the exact originals and tried the suggested method but still no luck- which I guess is expected.
Although Windows offers help for the XP install, the disc doesn't even boot for Windows 7 :( Thanks for your help anyway, I'll take the advice about going through the email system.
Cheers!

Maestro

When you press the f12 key are you getting the boot menu and are you seeing the dvd drive. If you are then it is almost certainly a problem with your copied os disc.

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes, as Maestro says, the image file is often corrupted, it will take a few re-trys before a correct copy is made.

mjdoes-apsalar

me too :-(

I have tried with three different discs now and have the same error. Have you been able to get yours to work yet?

It looks like the drivers were not installed or something.

endykay

Hey guys- yes it was indeed a faulty ISO disc (proven by testing an install on another computer) so no worries on this front. As for the windows XP try-out that was a universal facepalm by me as the drivers for winXP aren't included anyway (as lets be honest, who wants XP on a new computer eh?) so no worries there too!

To mjdoes-apsalar:

I'm currently waiting on getting another disc copy of Win7Pro 32-bit which will be tested on another computer before it arrives here so I'll let you know the result; but I don't think I can get the disc until this Wednesday. I'll post the result on here asap, but I'm positive it was jsut a bad disc and not drivers.

mjdoes-apsalar

Thanks, yes I was just getting on to say that by my fourth disc it finally worked. Very disconcerting though if you haven't done it before and don't know the error messages.

Now the wireless isn't working on the laptop so time to get that sorted. Yes the sliding button the front is switched to wiress, but it clearly isn't picking up any network - it's like the card isn't there.

Maestro

dont forget, after you have installed the os, you need to install the drivers. The wireless driver being one of them. The driver is on the enclosed driver disc.

Gorman

Author Level
There is an easy solution for this, use legit discs!

Copying or downloading Windows discs is frowned upon here and against the rules:

You may not:

•Discuss any form of Piracy or DMCA violations

Unless of course its through some sort of legit Technet subscription.

The first rule of a hassle free Windows install is genuine discs and genuine licenses.