HDD Partition questions.. :S HELP!

MrKarco

Bronze Level Poster
I've chosen a 60GB SSD for my first 'HDD choice' and a 750GB wd caviar black for 2nd... but when i press proceed and scrool down a bit it says something about hdd partitions or something? and then it says the first HDD/SSD has to be over 80GB for the OS? :S

What does this mean i'm going to have to do?

MrKarco

Bronze Level Poster
it wasn't an error message.. i was just nosing around the website (after i'd clicked proceed, at the bottom of the page with all your specs on) and it says 'enter hard drive partitions' so i clicked it and it gives you an option to.. some how split one hard drive in 2.. if that makes sense :L and it said the first HDD has to be 80gb+ for the operating system.. so it wouldn't let me change it as it was a 60gb :L haha.. tbh i don't know why i'm worrying as i'm not ordering an operating system.. i've already got a copy of windows 7 :L

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Dont worry about partitions, unless oyu want them to appear as seperate disks or you want to have linux on one partition etc.

MrKarco

Bronze Level Poster
when i'm installing windows for the first time.. will it give me an option of which hdd/ssd i can choose?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Yup, when you insert the disc at one point youll get to a part when it asks which partition you wish to install the OS to, just pick the 60GB one. It may tell you that you need to partition it (into a single partition) although if its a PCS pc then they will already have installed windows on, so it will have been partitioned before, in which case just select the 60GB (it will appear smaller, probably around 56 - 58GB) and itll install to tht :)

MrKarco

Bronze Level Poster
aah okay :) but if i don't order an OS.. PCS wouldn't have put windows on it though? :S haha i'll see what happens really.. :)

pr1s0ner

They still install a system for testing. Very useful for you to be able to see that everything is working fine as soon as you unpack it!

ghphoto

Partitions are also useful for storing separate data or creating 'scratch discs' for Photoshop. If you ever have a hard drive failure, often it wont span across both of the partitions (god forbid you ever have a failure), it gives you a little bit of backup. With setting up a scratch disc, where the OS finds it doesn't have enough real memory to perform things it will write to an area of the hardrive as virtual memory (Photoshop does this a lot), if the hard drive is regularly used that area on the HD may get fragmented, and it will slow down the process. If you create a separate partition, and use this just for scratch/virtual memory, and defrag it regularly, then it may speed up your applications even further because the HD seek time is reduced.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck