Having some issues with CPU temperature

stemeg

Hi all,

I bought a desktop PC from PCS in December 2016 and recently I have been having a couple of issues with CPU temperature. Usually it seems fine, but a couple of things have happened in the last week:

1) A week ago when booting up my PC I got the usual beep from the BIOS, but then a few seconds later I got a series of several more beeps and a message with a warning about CPU overheating was displayed. However, a few seconds later I was taken to the Windows login screen as usual and everything seemed fine.
2) This morning I noticed my PC was being particularly loud and the lighting on the front of the cooling system on the CPU was red, so I opened SpeedFan and my CPU was running at 67c (while mostly idle). I restarted the PC and it was back to normal.

On both occasions I restarted the PC and didn't experience a repeat of the issue. Everything looks fine within the case, all the fans seem to be working as normal, nothing appears to be loose. The PC hasn't experienced any shocks or knocks that could have dislodged something. I checked my temps several times over the last week and except for this morning everything has been normal. I have never had a liquid cooling system before so I'm not sure of what to do next, what the issue could be or whether it's likely to get worse, but I'm sure I shouldn't be experiencing these problems on a machine that's just over 2 years old.

Here are the specs:

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-6800K (3.4GHz) 15MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® X99-A II: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s, RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready! ()
1st Storage Drive
480GB KINGSTON UV400 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (550MB/R, 500MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i V2 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Liquid Series Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days

Any help would be deeply appreciated - thank you very much in advance!

Steve

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So the cooler you have is, I believe, closed loop which means no need to drain it for maintenance like others.

If it was a one off it might have been an application stuck in a lock/race condition taking more and more CPU.

If it happens again it might be worth firing up task manager to see if anything is using 100% CPU

If not it may benefit from a repaste on the CPU - it does dry out over time

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It may be worth installing Corsair iCue which is control software for the cpu cooler.

This will tell you fan speeds and more importantly pump speeds. Sometimes pumps fail, but Corsair support are excellent and will usually swap it for a new one if that’s the case and it’s still under manufacturers warranty.

The red on the cpu block will trigger if the coolant temp (not cpu) is above 60c I believe.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Sounds like the pump may be on the way out. As above, install the iCue software which will allow you to monitor all temps and speeds.

The 6800k is a really toasty CPU at the best of times but 60C at idle is unusual. Make sure you are referencing idle as actual idle as often CPU intensive background operations can happen with Win10. Check the indepth process information within task manager to check for actual CPU usage at any given time and note the process that is using it.