H150i Capellix PUMP LED trouble

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Has anybody else had an issue with the Capellix Pump LED's being intermittent, mine haven't been right since day one really, main issue was the top part wasn't fastened to the pump body securely, i fixed this which sorted them for a while, then they went nuts and were flashing all sorts of weird patterns, now they have stopped altogether, i rechecked all connections, uninstalled armoury crate (with the ASUS removal tool) reinstalled iCUE, updated all firmware but no dice.

I chatted to tech support ad they offered to do an RMA on the cooler but couldn't tell me which parts would need to go back, if it was the whole thing including fans. radiator etc etc, eventually they suggested shipping the whole thing back to them as RGB can be "troublesome" i'm not really happy with that for such a minor thing, i'm debating just buyng the LCD module upgrade, any ideas before i go any further or should i just RMA the whole H150i including commander core etc etc.

Specs below:

CaseCORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR 5000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case FansNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Firefox™
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 16 to 19 working days

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would see if they can ship you out the kit. That way you can switch it over with whatever they send and you won't have too much down time.

I've not read of any capellix issues personally but I know there have been some firmware niggles with the LCD option (not just the module upgrade but the whole thing).

Very unusual but may be attributed to the poor connection initially, causing a failure point.

Aza

Rising Star
When I RMA'd my old cooler (pump starting to fail) it was just the cooler head and radiator, they didnt need the fans.
(Swapped over on the doorstep and I installed the new cooler myself)

Have you tried a complete fresh install of windows and then GPU/Chipset/iCue etc? skipping Armoury Crate?
Just in case theres some conflict left over from it?

What does iCue show you when you look at the lighting? I'm assuming the RGB connections are going through the commander unit the Elite came with? Have you checked its all connected securely, no loose connections?

RichLan564

Bright Spark
When I RMA'd my old cooler (pump starting to fail) it was just the cooler head and radiator, they didnt need the fans.
(Swapped over on the doorstep and I installed the new cooler myself)

Have you tried a complete fresh install of windows and then GPU/Chipset/iCue etc? skipping Armoury Crate?
Just in case theres some conflict left over from it?

What does iCue show you when you look at the lighting? I'm assuming the RGB connections are going through the commander unit the Elite came with? Have you checked its all connected securely, no loose connections?
Did they send you the whole kit though and you just take what you need and send the rest back, i presumed the full kit would come with commander core and fans etc?

iCUE shows the LED pattern selected, the fans are working fine, just not the head, i might actually check the pins haven't been damaged at either end

RichLan564

Bright Spark
I would see if they can ship you out the kit. That way you can switch it over with whatever they send and you won't have too much down time.

I've not read of any capellix issues personally but I know there have been some firmware niggles with the LCD option (not just the module upgrade but the whole thing).

Very unusual but may be attributed to the poor connection initially, causing a failure point.
I might do that but they were very vague on what parts would come and what i needed to send back, i dont really want to be taking the pump part off to be honest

Could be that a poor connection damaged it, its seemed to fail in stages, went off, then i got it back, went off again, came back and then went mad and failed

Aza

Rising Star
Did they send you the whole kit though and you just take what you need and send the rest back, i presumed the full kit would come with commander core and fans etc?

iCUE shows the LED pattern selected, the fans are working fine, just not the head, i might actually check the pins haven't been damaged at either end
I got a brand new untouched box, same as youd buy off a shelf (so all fans, core, cooler etc) and just had to send the cooler head and radiator unit back. Im assuming they then tested it when they received it to confirm the fault, if it hadnt been faulty I dont know if i'd then be charged or not or would have to send it back etc

RichLan564

Bright Spark
I got a brand new untouched box, same as youd buy off a shelf (so all fans, core, cooler etc) and just had to send the cooler head and radiator unit back. Im assuming they then tested it when they received it to confirm the fault, if it hadnt been faulty I dont know if i'd then be charged or not or would have to send it back etc
Hmmmm, cheers, i think i will just RMA it and send the whole lot back if that's the case, i presume swapping the pump part off the CPU isn't too bad of a job?

I'm not really feeling the love for doing a fresh windows install just on the off chance, i looks like hardware failure to me as everything else in iCUE is working fine

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hmmmm, cheers, i think i will just RMA it and send the whole lot back if that's the case, i presume swapping the pump part off the CPU isn't too bad of a job?

I'm not really feeling the love for doing a fresh windows install just on the off chance, i looks like hardware failure to me as everything else in iCUE is working fine
As a workaround method, if you did want to rule out software, you can just create a temporary partition and do a secondary windows installation, that way you don't have to mess around with your installed software etc, leave your current windows totally intact

Then just install iCue on the new installation and see if same issue persists

Aza

Rising Star
The process is a little different depending on whether its Intel or AMD, mine is AMD so its just a case of unscrewing two bolts fixing the cooler head to the motherboard/CPU socket. It was more work to take the radiator off and fans, but still just a case of unscrewing it (depending on your case, you may have a removable plate its fixed to or it could be fixed directly into the case).

When I did mine, I disconnected all the fans from controller nodes/RGB nodes then removed the plate that the radiator and fans were fixed to.
Then I disconnected the wiring coming from the pump head (so one to the CPU fan socket and a USB from the commander pro unit) then I unscrewed the two bolts on the pump head and that was it all out.

Took the fans off the radiator, then the radiator off the plate that is part of my case.

To put the new one in, basically did the same thing but in reverse. Wasnt a big job but would suggest taking your time and be careful of the motherboard. Also just be careful not to over-tighten the bolts on the pump head bracket, you shouldnt need to use any force just hand-tighten.

If you're unsure of it, there is the option of sending the whole thing in for PCS to install it, not sure what cost that might have though or if its all under warranty?

RichLan564

Bright Spark
As a workaround method, if you did want to rule out software, you can just create a temporary partition and do a secondary windows installation, that way you don't have to mess around with your installed software etc, leave your current windows totally intact

Then just install iCue on the new installation and see if same issue persists
Good shout, might just do that, i'm pretty sure its hardware related though, just which bit is the issue (commander or pump head)

RichLan564

Bright Spark
It does sound like the RGB module has bitten the bullet for whatever reason as you say.
Well look like i have half fixed it, tried another Windows install on another partition, no change

So i have double double checked all connections, removed and repalced them, the LED's now light up but are stuck in a kind of half animated pattern but static and don't respond to any scene changes in iCUE.

I think i'm going to RMA it and just swap out the commander and pump head to send back and see what happens, as they can't tell me exactly what i need to send back hope i don't get charged for anything!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well look like i have half fixed it, tried another Windows install on another partition, no change

So i have double double checked all connections, removed and repalced them, the LED's now light up but are stuck in a kind of half animated pattern but static and don't respond to any scene changes in iCUE.

I think i'm going to RMA it and just swap out the commander and pump head to send back and see what happens, as they can't tell me exactly what i need to send back hope i don't get charged for anything!
Keep us updated

D

Deleted member 41971

I appear to have a zombie H150i, its now come fully back to life, its resurrection started with the stuck pattern, it has now fully regenerated and is working, so no idea what's happening, i'm guessing loose connection somewhere....

View attachment 33843

well that wallpaper would scare the living daylights out of me If I saw that at 3am.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
This is driving me mad now, its' worked for a few weeks, stopped all together last night, left the PC on to download some stuff from the Steam sale and come to it this morning and its totally back working normally, it makes no sense at all........

If Corsair would be helpful and sell everything on the UK website that they do on the US i would just buy one of these to rule it out:

RichLan564

Bright Spark
This is driving me mad now, its' worked for a few weeks, stopped all together last night, left the PC on to download some stuff from the Steam sale and come to it this morning and its totally back working normally, it makes no sense at all........

If Corsair would be helpful and sell everything on the UK website that they do on the US i would just buy one of these to rule it out:

Ok, i'm going to call time on this and sort an RMA, its packed up again, it decided to disappear totally from iCUE last night and was showing the commander Core, not the H150i, so its either the Commander Core or the pump head itself that's gone wonky. Checked all connections and now i can see the H150i again but still no pump LED's.

If i do and RMA i suppose im going to have to take everything out am i? Is it an easy swap taking the whole pumps assembly off the CPU and putting a new one on ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, i'm going to call time on this and sort an RMA, its packed up again, it decided to disappear totally from iCUE last night and was showing the commander Core, not the H150i, so its either the Commander Core or the pump head itself that's gone wonky. Checked all connections and now i can see the H150i again but still no pump LED's.

If i do and RMA i suppose im going to have to take everything out am i? Is it an easy swap taking the whole pumps assembly off the CPU and putting a new one on ?
I take it you've updated the firmware since you've had it? The issues you're describing were generally symptoms found in early firmware versions.