GPU temps

adator

Enthusiast
Just wondering what your GPU temps are, Mine is getting upto 78°c running far cry 3 just wondering if this is a bit too hot I know people say components are safe anything below 90 but will it still decrease lifespan at that temp if so any advice on how to cool it I did order the 2 extra case fans but maybe I should get a bigger one?. I have the gtx 670 if that helps.

Sleinous

Author Level
78 is fine for FarCry, which GPU is this? I have quite a broad range of GPUs in my possession so GPU temps is something i've picked up over time, especially 100% load temps

steaky360

+1 To what Sleinous said, 78 is fine, if it regularly rises to 88/90 I'd start thinking about it more. :)

Sleinous

Author Level
Is that the twin fan design? If so its an internal exhaust card instead of an external exhaust (one blower fan pushing air out the back fo yoru case) the only disadvantage with internal exhaust cards is that you need really good fans in your case to get rid of that additional heat! But yes for a 670 that's absolutely fine!

adator

Enthusiast
Thanks for the help if 78 is fine then I'm happy I'll watch out if it gets much hotter though, but it seems to be 78 max and it goes down very fast as soon as I come out of far cry.

Sleinous

Author Level
That's the external exhaust, blower fan design so that's (in my opinion) the better card to have for most cases. Yep 78 is fine for a GTX 670, the 600 series is the only family of recent nvidia cards that I havent tried in person but I know plenty of people that have several of them running together (therefore even less airflow) and run hotter. 78 wont decrease the lifespan of your card before anything else (in the laws of probability) will go wrong.

Also if it gets into the 85's in summer, maybe consider just downloading and installing something like EVGA Precision X to set a manual fan speed profile (say when GPU hits 81C then increase f an speed up to 60% or something along those lines).

Last edited:

adator

Enthusiast
Ok thanks I am thinking about getting another gpu in the future so hopefully the reduced airflow wont make it too hot. I'll have a look at evga precision x as well as I was a bit worried about it getting hotter in the summer. Thanks again.

Sleinous

Author Level
No problems, if your motherboard has the space for 3 GPUs i'd recommend leaving ag ap between the 2 GPU's even if this means running teh second card at x8 bandwidth, already on PCIe 2.0 he card wouldn't be bottlenecked by the lane's reduced bandwidth so if your motherboard supports PCIe 3.0 then an x8 PCIe 3.0 slot is effectively the same as an x17 PCIe 2.0 slot.

adator

Enthusiast
I will bare that in mind I have the P8Z77-V so I think it has a fair few. Just been testing that evga precision and it seems to work really well if I put it to 60% the temp stays below 70 although it does get a bit loud. So what do you think is good temp to keep the gpu at anything below 80°c? I'm going to have a look how to use the evga a bit more online I see there is a frame rate target if I put that to 60 I take it it will just go to 60fps max? which will be fine for me as my monitor is only 60hz anyway.

Sleinous

Author Level
That's correct, and you can force this setting in the nvidia control panel by making sure vsync is always on (always limiting to 60fps)

vsyncnvidcpanel2.png

Last edited:

adator

Enthusiast
Thanks I will set that now, no need to have it giving me 100+ fps on less graphic intense games when I can only see up to 60.

Sleinous

Author Level
Indeed, you've got it 100%! Shame not everyone does :( I still see so many people claiming they can see the difference between 60fps and higher, when I ask what hz monitor they're using.... 60hz. Right.

adator

Enthusiast
Yeah 55% is ok its just anything above 60% is a bit loud but I'm not too bothered if it keeps it cool, just means I either turn the game up or listen through headphones.

Sleinous

Author Level
Better still, dont set it to manual but rather make a fan speed curve, if you want help with that I can show you on teamviewer.

adator

Enthusiast
Thanks I was going to ask if there was a way too do it automatically, was going to look online. I think I understand it just move it up or down for fan speed at that temp. Looks about right how it is set standard may lower it a little bit at 70 degrees fan will be 70% might lower it to 60% or 55%. I take it that's not on normally when you just tick the auto under the fan speed%? as the fan wasn't going to that speed before without doing it manually.

Sleinous

Author Level
Exactly, you've got it, you have to set the fan speed curve enabled before it overrides the auto setting. I use that fan speed curve setting so much as most of my GPUs (except the ones running on watercooling) hit 85-90C when folding@home, even at 70+ fan speed.

Just FYI even at those stress levels I tend to keep my GPUs atleast 3 years with around 10hrs of 100% usage a day under those temps.