GPU installation

tierenobre

Hi guys, my PC just arrived (I ordered without GPU) and I would like to know if the cable installation is correct, the first time I do this haha. The GPU is a 3080 suprim x
Could you check the photos if I did it right please?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 213

tierenobre

You're missing a connector. Have you finished?

You need another 8pin.
No, I had removed the GPU from my order and found the card on another website so it would be much faster for me.
I informed them that it would be the 3080 suprim x, and that if possible they would send me the PC with the cables prepared for installation, so it came like this, did you understand?

Thanks for the answer

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 165

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
No, I had removed the GPU from my order and found the card on another website so it would be much faster for me.
I informed them that it would be the 3080 suprim x, and that if possible they would send me the PC with the cables prepared for installation, so it came like this, did you understand?

Thanks for the answer
It looks like the cable you need is in the middle of the jumble of cables in that welcome pack, one end will have a 6+2 connector (Graphic card end) and the other end will have the connector for the PSU

steaky360

Thanks for the answer
Ok,

You need to add another 8 pin connector to power your GPU. Its basically another of the same cable that is already installed. You need two of them in total.

tierenobre

Ok,

You need to add another 8 pin connector to power your GPU. Its basically another of the same cable that is already installed. You need two of them in total.
These cables came in the welcome pack.
So I will need to connect one side to the PSU and the other side to the GPU, right?

Attachments

• extra cables.JPG
    extra cables.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 136

tierenobre

It looks like the cable you need is in the middle of the jumble of cables in that welcome pack, one end will have a 6+2 connector (Graphic card end) and the other end will have the connector for the PSU
I think I will need to install this cable

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys, my PC just arrived (I ordered without GPU) and I would like to know if the cable installation is correct, the first time I do this haha. The GPU is a 3080 suprim x
Could you check the photos if I did it right please?
With 30 series cards it's advisable to fit one cable per port rather than use the extra extention part of the cable

tierenobre

With 30 series cards it's advisable to fit one cable per port rather than use the extra extention part of the cable

Hi, so it was PCS that sent me like this, and also sent the extra cables with extra extension and they knew that I would install a 30 series. Should I ask them about it? Ask them for one cable per port.

I managed to make it work using the extra cable with extension that they sent me (the extension was left over)

1.JPG

steaky360

Without wanting to contradict @moosEh - I think you need 2x cables from your PSU to your GPU and you use 1 of the extensions for the '3rd 8pin' your card needs. This could be wrong and I'm sure moosEh will correct me if that's the case.

1610444603515.png

So your picture above looks fine to me.

tierenobre

Without wanting to contradict @moosEh - I think you need 2x cables from your PSU to your GPU and you use 1 of the extensions for the '3rd 8pin' your card needs. This could be wrong and I'm sure moosEh will correct me if that's the case.

View attachment 21259

ok I understand, let's wait, you understand much more than I do.
Thank you very much Steaky360

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 21259

So with the vast majority of 3080's they only have 2x 8pin power sockets. And for these they need to be two separate cables.
With 3090s they have three and again they need to be 3 separate cables.

This is because the cards need more power than a single cable with the extra 8x can supply (3080, 3090 being 3 because two can't provide enough power).

As its a 3080 with 3 power ports then you can try as Streaky360 has suggested. The worst you will get is the system turning off or not performing right underload. If that is the case power off and hook up a 3rd cable.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi, so it was PCS that sent me like this, and also sent the extra cables with extra extension and they knew that I would install a 30 series. Should I ask them about it? Ask them for one cable per port.

I managed to make it work using the extra cable with extension that they sent me (the extension was left over)

View attachment 21258
If you're planning on installing your own card don't you think you should also be responsible for obtaining all the necessary cables? I sure do.

tierenobre

So with the vast majority of 3080's they only have 2x 8pin power sockets. And for these they need to be two separate cables.
With 3090s they have three and again they need to be 3 separate cables.

This is because the cards need more power than a single cable with the extra 8x can supply (3080, 3090 being 3 because two can't provide enough power).

As its a 3080 with 3 power ports then you can try as Streaky360 has suggested. The worst you will get is the system turning off or not performing right underload. If that is the case power off and hook up a 3rd cable.
Got it, thank you very much for the explanation.
I'm using with only 2 cables but I will provide the 3 to have everything correct.

thanks guys