GPU fans spinning up on idle with DisplayPort and temps fluctuating on idle with HDMI

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there.

Had my new PC for about a month now and feel like I'm almost there with most things, but having problems with the temperature of my GPU. It's not overheating or anything and at maximum seems to only reach just above 60 degrees C on idle but it is fluctuating. It seems to get warmer when there's a lot of media on screen, such as when I'm browsing Facebook or Steam.

My specs are:
  • Case: CoolerMaster Masterbox TD500 Mesh
  • Motherboard: ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
  • CPU cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite
  • GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 3080
  • RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 x 16GB)
  • SSDs: 1x 500GB Samsung 980 Pro, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro
  • PSU: Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold
  • Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p, 240 Hz - currently running at 144 Hz with HDMI though)
My monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G7 and for a few weeks had my GPU connected to it via DisplayPort. However, the fans were kicking in every so often on idle once it'd reach above 60 degrees C and then stop at 40 degrees C, only for it to gradually start climbing again. In game, the fans were really loud, even with games where the fans were very low with HDMI. I have FreeSync enabled through my monitor but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference in terms of GPU temperature. It has removed some screen tearing though.

I had the refresh rate set to 240 Hz on both the monitor and PC but even switching down to 144 Hz with DP didn't seem to solve the issue so I switched back to HDMI. The GPU fans don't kick in on idle anymore but sometimes the temperatures hit above 60 on idle. I have a custom case fan curve set through FanControl by Rem0o to run at 45% between 20 and 55 degrees C, and between 45% to 60% for temperatures between 55 and 70 degrees C, so I'm not sure if my fan curve is maybe a little too low.

1672318016290.png

I still haven't set a curve for the GPU fans themselves. My GPU is a Palit RTX 3080 and I have both MSI Afterburner and Palit's Thunder Master installed, but have yet to do anything with them as I'm not entirely sure how to best set one. I've tried messing around with a custom curve in MSI Afterburner but not sure if I'm doing it right as the fans kick in pretty early. The curve I tried was set to run at 0% between 0 and 30 degrees C, and from 0 to 30% between 30 and 50 degrees C, and 30 to 60% between 50 and 70 degrees C. However, the fans kicked in on idle pretty early with Afterburner running and I'm not sure how to prevent this or if it's better to just let them run all the time.

1672317976634.png

I'm starting to wonder too if my GPU is maybe overclocked or if the monitor is drawing too much power from the GPU somehow. I have 2 DisplayPorts on my GPU and plugged the DP cable into the first slot which is closest to the HDMI port. I had a look at my GPU's voltage, power usage and overclock status through Palit's Thunder Master but I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is normal or if I should adjust anything.

1672318263005.png

I'm still a little stumped and not sure why my GPU is getting too warm with DisplayPort. I'd like to switch back to take advantage of the higher refresh rate but since it was getting so warm to the point where the fans were kicking in even on idle I thought it'd be better to switch back to HDMI for now. Someone on another forum suggested I try to update my CPU, motherboard and GPU, and to try a different DP cable. The only cable I have is the one supplied by Samsung which came with the monitor. I can update my GPU just fine through GeForce Experience but not sure about updating the CPU or mobo. I've heard updating the BIOS of the mobo can cause problems sometimes. My mobo is an ASUS ROG Strix B550-F and is running BIOS version 2803.

Sorry for the really long winded post and sorry if the screenshots don't say much, but would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Probably best to just use one piece of software at a time, if you have multiple fan curves running they will conflict. In terms of fan curve, I’d set it that fans come on at 30% at 50C and increase up to 60-65% at 70C. Ideal situation is that when gaming and GPU is at 100% load the temp is around 70-75C but fan rpm is at a level that is not too loud/intrusive.

Having said all that, if your card is 60C at idle, that is a concern. I’d expect closer to 30-40c at idle depending on ambient temperature and case temp.

Have you tried a clean install of drivers? Use DDU to uninstall existing drivers, restart then use GeForce Experience to install latest.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
Probably best to just use one piece of software at a time, if you have multiple fan curves running they will conflict. In terms of fan curve, I’d set it that fans come on at 30% at 50C and increase up to 60-65% at 70C. Ideal situation is that when gaming and GPU is at 100% load the temp is around 70-75C but fan rpm is at a level that is not too loud/intrusive.

Having said all that, if your card is 60C at idle, that is a concern. I’d expect closer to 30-40c at idle depending on ambient temperature and case temp.

Have you tried a clean install of drivers? Use DDU to uninstall existing drivers, restart then use GeForce Experience to install latest.
Yeh, was planning on using FanControl for my case fans and Afterburner for the GPU fans. I installed Thunder Master just out of curiosity but the only fan software I'm running in the background is FanControl. Thanks, I'll try that.

It thankfully doesn't hit 60 degrees too often but seem to idle around the high 40s to high 50s or rarely just above 60. With DisplayPort, it was constant. Right now it's averaging 49 degrees and is pretty cool but even on colder days it's hit higher temperatures. Compared to the CPU, it's much warmer, the CPU hardly goes above 40 degrees. My case fans have been running at 45 - 47% most of the time due to the GPU and it's a little worrying when I hear them speed up.

I'll try that thanks. Hopefully should make a difference.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd also look to undervolt the GPU to help lower temps and fan noises. Plenty of guides on Youtube on how to do this, but
one I found useful previously.

Edit: My own Fancontrol config

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
I'd also look to undervolt the GPU to help lower temps and fan noises. Plenty of guides on Youtube on how to do this, but

Reinstalled my drivers using DDU and switched back over to DisplayPort. Used the other port this time but looks like it's more or less the same. My GPU was hitting the high 50s on idle. I've switched back to HDMI for now.

Thanks, I'll have a look. Hopefully it is just a case of undervolting. It's strange why it's getting so warm.

Oh nice, thanks! I'll have a looksie. Weirdly enough I can't seem to control my CPU fans through FanControl. Even though they've been detected and I can switch over to manual, they don't actually change when I try to lower them. Seem perpetually stuck at 2500 RPM so I've just left them. Doesn't seem to be doing it any harm though.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The CPU fans are controlled by iCUE, via the Commander core they’re connected to. If you want to control them with FanControl you’ll have to do what I did and disconnect them from the Commander and connect to a fan header on your motherboard.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
The CPU fans are controlled by iCUE, via the Commander core they’re connected to. If you want to control them with FanControl you’ll have to do what I did and disconnect them from the Commander and connect to a fan header on your motherboard.
Ah okaydokes, will do. Thanks.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster

Managed to undervolt my GPU down to 875 mV from 950 mV with no noticeable performance issues. 1920 MHz was my maximum clock so I used 1900 MHz as my y-axis target. Dunno if that's still too high. I had one freeze on Heaven at 850 mV and crashes at 850 mV to the point where I couldn't even run it, so 875 seems to be sweet spot. Unfortunately though my GPU is still hitting 60 degrees and above and the GPU fans are kicking in even while undervolted and viewing something pretty simple like Steam or Facebook.

It has reduced the temperatures under load though, at first was averaging at 71 degrees but in the 875 mV test averaged around 68-69 degrees. I don't understand what's causing the GPU to idle to high though. My room has been pretty cold and my desk is next to my window so there's almost always a breeze coming in. I noticed no noticeable changes with my window opened or closed.

Starting to wonder if it's the monitor itself, the refresh rate, the DisplayPort cable or if my case fan curves are just too low but they're running over 50% when the GPU hits 60 or above so it's already pretty noisy. I'm stumped.