Gaming Monitor Help

Tomuscus

Hey you guys. I'm getting a gaming pc so obviously I'm going to need a good monitor to go with it, we all know tv's are awful for pc gaming. Anyway what I want is a really high quality image but still a decent response time of around 2ms. I'm not a hardcore fps player so I don't think having an extremely high refresh rate is even needed for me. I'd like something that makes things look absolutely beautiful but while at the same time still has a pretty low response time. I was originally looking at the BenqXL2411T but I've decided that monitor is only really suited for hardcore fps players who only care about the response time. If anyone has any suggestions would appreciate I'm willing to drop 200-250 on it so let me know. Thanks!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I got the IIYAMA E2273HDS 22" ((£129)) from PCS,and can highly recommend it.

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I wouldn't say the Benq is only for hardcore players.. It's fantastic as it is and if it's within budget there's no reason why you should rule it out. Games look fantastically smooth at 120fps+ and detail is still brilliant.

If it wasn't for the Benq I would have been buying the Dell Ultrasharp U2312hm. It's an IPS panel so viewing angles and colour quality is far superior to a TN panel like the Benq or IIyama's. Don't be put off by the 8ms response time, it has an overdrive feature which means this is not even noticeable anyway and also the actual input time (time taken for screen to react to peripheral) is only 0.6ms which is far better than the majority of TN panels. It is highly recommended for gaming if what you're after is colour quality and detail. Reputable review of it here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm

I debated over my monitor for a few months and after reading every article and forum on the web I went for the Benq and was not disappointed. It's far better built than it looks on images and if you've got the graphics card to push past 60fps then there's no reason why you shouldn't buy it if you can afford it.

kruppsy

Master
Grimezy beat me to it. Id definitely say the Dell U2312HM is a great all-rounder.

I had one for a short while, but did have to send it back for 2 reasons, i'd been testing a lot of 24" monitors and the 23" felt too small for me personally. It also had a quite iffy backlight/luminance issue, in that on 'all black' screens, parts looked very grey, no-matter your viewing angle, it was fairly distracting. It handled gaming just fine though, no noticeable ghosting.

I have the 24" version at work and it doesn't seem to be as bad and I really like it. So if you are tempted to go for a Dell my suggestion would be go for the U2412HM.

I have settled on the AOC in my sig for home, its really good, no complaints.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/monitors/1295143/aoc-e2752vq

bigben

Master Poster
I wouldn't say the Benq is only for hardcore players.. It's fantastic as it is and if it's within budget there's no reason why you should rule it out. Games look fantastically smooth at 120fps+ and detail is still brilliant..

I agree with this. With a bit of tweaking on the settings the colours are decent, obviously not as vibrant as an IPS though.
I think that with 120hz gaming you don't miss it if you have never had it. However I was playing on my mates PC the other day and even though his rig is still fairly high end it felt juddery because of the 60hz refresh rate.

fedris the red

The 144hz BenQ has got some really good reviews as a monitor in general, not just for gaming; confusingly it's advertised as just being 120hz in a lot places but all the reviews state it does 144hz out of the box - not sure what the reasoning is behind not shouting about this attribute. Just out of interest are the DVI-D cables PCS supply dual-link 24+1? I just found out about needing the duel link for utilizing 120+ refresh rates.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The 144hz BenQ has got some really good reviews as a monitor in general, not just for gaming; confusingly it's advertised as just being 120hz in a lot places but all the reviews state it does 144hz out of the box - not sure what the reasoning is behind not shouting about this attribute. Just out of interest are the DVI-D cables PCS supply dual-link 24+1? I just found out about needing the duel link for utilizing 120+ refresh rates.

The monitor should come with dual link cables as standard.

fedris the red

Ah yes, Amazon seem convinced you only got a a CD, power lead and stand with the BenQ and when I specified a DVI cable on the PCS configurator, it didn't actually warn me that one was not needed - because the monitor selected already had one - when I saved the quote (Which it has done in the past.) Anyway I just watched an unboxing on Youtube and the nice Swedish man showed me it came with DVI-D.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Yes it does come with a dual-dvi haha!

To answer your question about the 144hz, I believe when I was researching it I read that Benq advertised it as a 120hz as that was the 'buzzword' at the time. People wanted 120hz monitors and all the debates were about 60hz vs 120hz so Benq felt if they advertised it truthfully as a 144hz panel then it wouldn't flag up when people googled 120hz monitors and it may stay off the radar if you get my drift...