Games crashing on new PC

Vileblood86

To be honest, at this point, I'd be doing a clean windows install and then retest, troubleshooting at this level can be a huge runaround trying to find the cause, with a clean install, you know you're on a sufficient OS base, so you can rule out software as a cause

But if you want to carry on troubleshooting software, if ever doing driver maintenance, you always need to first clean it with DDU as there's no other way to properly uninstall a previous driver.

Yeah I think I'll do a clean install and go from there

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm certain that this is a graphics issue, it's either the driver or the card. If it's the card a reinstall won't help and if its thd driver then a reinstall is unnecessary. Its your PC though....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You need to use DDU, as suggested, to remove the current driver. You should download the latest driver and the two immediate prior versions. Install each driver, using DDU in between. If you get the crashing on all driver versions then it's the card. Install the drivers manually, not via GeForce Experience.

The Watchdog folder is where the dumps will have been (see the log message above) but they've already been sent to Microsoft and deleted.

If you get more crashes upload any dumps in LiveKernelReports.

Last edited:

Vileblood86

Ok downloaded the newest driver and the 2 immediate previous drivers. Uninstalled the newest driver then installed the oldest driver then CRASH. Uninstalled that driver. Installed the next driver CRASH.uninstalled that driver. Installed the newest driver then CRASH

Also nothing in watchdog folder

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok downloaded the newest driver and the 2 immediate previous drivers. Uninstalled the newest driver then installed the oldest driver then CRASH. Uninstalled that driver. Installed the next driver CRASH.uninstalled that driver. Installed the newest driver then CRASH

Also nothing in watchdog folder
Was that literally after installing the driver, or running a game?

It's really weird that furmark and game benches run fine, I've not come across that before, usually furmark is the first to uncover a hardware defect. But @ubuysa does seem to be on the money that it's a GPU hardware issue?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would it be anything to do with my game settings?
I wouldn't have thought so, not with the 4070.

Just wondering, you haven't applied any overclock of any sort on the CPU or GPU? Like "boost" in the BIOS or anything like that, throttlestop, or ever installed Afterburner or Precision X1

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Nothing at all like that. Could boost have been enabled during the build?
It's possible, definitely worth checking.

If you boot into the bios, you can do this via advanced boot options through windows, settings / system / recovery / advanced startup, then choose booting into UEFI

Then, I would just reset the BIOS to defaults, just use the exit menu from the BIOS and one of the options will be to load optimised defaults.

Then boot back into windows and retry.

We'll see if there's any change. If there is, then we'll have to restore the XMP settings which is very straightforward.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's a great pity there are no live kernel dumps, I was hoping to be able to see whether there is a third-party driver causing this issue. I do think the evidence is pointing strongly at the graphics card being flaky somehow, though it is curious that it passes the stress tests. I'm going to ask you to try one more set of tests, and that involves enabling Driver Verifier.

Driver Verifier subjects selected drivers (typically all third-party drivers) to extra tests and checks every time they are called. These extra checks are designed to uncover drivers that are misbehaving. If any selected driver fails any of the Driver Verifier tests/checks then Driver Verifier will BSOD. The resulting minidump should contain enough information for me to identify the flaky driver. It's thus essential to keep all minidumps created whilst Driver Verifier is enabled. If you have a cleaner product installed (like Ccleaner) or you use the Windows Disk Cleanup tool, please either disable dump file cleaning or suspend using these tools for now.

To enable Driver Verifier do the following:

1. Take a System Restore point and/or take a disk image of your system drive (with Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar). It is possible that Driver Verifier may BSOD a driver during the boot process (some drivers are loaded during boot). If that happens you'll be stuck in a boot-BSOD loop.

If you should end up in a boot-BSOD loop, boot the Windows installation media and use that to run System Restore and restore to the restore point you took, to remove Driver Verifier and get you booting again. Alternatively you can use the Acronis, Macrium Reflect, or similar, boot media to restore the disk image you took.

Please don't skip this step. it's the only way out of a Driver Verifier boot-BSOD loop.

2. Start the Driver Verifier setup dialog by entering the command verifier in either the Run command box or in a command prompt.

3. On the initial Driver Verifier dialog, click the radio button for 'Create custom settings (for code developers)' - the second option - and click the Next button.

4. On the second dialog check (click) the checkboxes for the following tests...
  • Special Pool
  • Force IRQL checking
  • Pool Tracking
  • Deadlock Detection
  • Security Checks
  • Miscellaneous Checks
  • Power framework delay fuzzing
  • DDI compliance checking
Then click the Next button.

5. On the next dialog click the radio button for 'Select driver names from a list' - the last option - and click the Next button.

6. On the next dialog click on the 'Provider' heading, this will sort the drivers on this column (it makes it easier to isolate Microsoft drivers).

7. Now check (click) ALL drivers that DO NOT have Microsoft as the provider (ie. check all third-party drivers).

8. Then, on the same dialog, check the following Microsoft drivers (and ONLY these Microsoft drivers)...
  • Wdf01000.sys
  • ndis.sys
  • fltMgr.sys
  • Storport.sys
9. Now click Finish and then reboot. Driver Verifiier will be enabled.

Be aware that Driver Verifier will remain enabled across all reboots and shutdowns. It can only be disabled manually.

Also be aware that we expect BSODs. Indeed, we want BSODs to be able to identify the flaky driver(s), that's the whople point in running Driver Verifier. You MUST keep all minidumps created whilst Driver Verifier is running, so disable any disk cleanup tools you may have.

10. Leave Driver Verifier running until you have between 5 and 10 BSODs/dumps, or for 24 hours. Use your PC as normal during this time, but do try and make it BSOD. Use every game or app that you normally use, and especially those where you have seen it BSOD in the past, but do also use as many other third-party features as you can. Drivers are only checked when they are loaded, so you need to try and load every third party driver you have installed.

Note that, because Driver Verifier is validating every third-party driver as it's loaded, your system will run slower than normal, it may even feel sluggish. That's a price you have to pay I'm afraid. Things will go back to normal when you disable Driver Verifier.

11. To turn Driver Verifier off enter the command verifier /reset in either Run command box or a command prompt and reboot.

Should you wish to check whether Driver Verfier is enabled or not, open a command prompt and enter the command verifier /query. You'll see a list of the drivers for which Driver Verifier is enabled.

12. When Driver Verifier has been disabled, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump and locate all .dmp files in there that are related to the period when Driver Verifier was running (check the timestamps). Zip these files up (using the Windows built-in zip tool) and upload that zip file to the cloud with a link to it here (be sure to make it public).

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think you'd have to RMA the entire PC, so that PCS can reproduce the failure? Although I think the card is most likely to be the cause, I doubt PCS will swap the card based on my analysis. Though if you point them at this thread, so they can see the Application log for themselves, then they might.

The reason for enabling Driver Verifier is to prove whether or not a driver is at fault. If, as I suspect, Driver Verifier doesn't BSOD at all, you'll have good evidence that the card must be at fault.

Vileblood86

I think you'd have to RMA the entire PC, so that PCS can reproduce the failure? Although I think the card is most likely to be the cause, I doubt PCS will swap the card based on my analysis. Though if you point them at this thread, so they can see the Application log for themselves, then they might.

The reason for enabling Driver Verifier is to prove whether or not a driver is at fault. If, as I suspect, Driver Verifier doesn't BSOD at all, you'll have good evidence that the card must be at fault.
Ok I will try that when I’m home thanks so much :)

leea123

Enthusiast
I had sort of the same issue when i got my pc, it would crash only when playing Forza 5 only. It would just black screen though after about 20 minutes. I tried so many things and ended up sending it back to pcs. They replaced the motherboard and CPU and sent it back, no more issues. You have tried so many things, I would be calling pcs now to get them to take you through a few checks or remote access, and if they can not work it out, They will take it back and fix it