Forcing Windows to Use Nvidia GPU by Default

SemoB

Hi, so I've been having various issues with my Intel HD GPU for a while now. Constant crashes, blue screens, flashing display upon wakeup, etc, and I've just about had it. I tried updating drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling, but to no avail, so I just want to disable it completely. The problem is that if I go to Device Manager and disable it, my system won't use the Nvidia card in its place and will just set my desktop resolution to 800x600 or whatever and just basically operate as if I have a card with no driver. Is there a way, even if third party software, to force Windows 10 to use my Nvidia card as default? I basically want it to operate as if I don't have an Intel HD GPU.

Thanks.

Hewhoist

Enthusiast
Hi, so I've been having various issues with my Intel HD GPU for a while now. Constant crashes, blue screens, flashing display upon wakeup, etc, and I've just about had it. I tried updating drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling, but to no avail, so I just want to disable it completely. The problem is that if I go to Device Manager and disable it, my system won't use the Nvidia card in its place and will just set my desktop resolution to 800x600 or whatever and just basically operate as if I have a card with no driver. Is there a way, even if third party software, to force Windows 10 to use my Nvidia card as default? I basically want it to operate as if I don't have an Intel HD GPU.

Thanks.

Have you tried a clean OS install?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You can't disable the on-board GPU because it is always involved even if the NVIDIA GPU is the one doing the work. I think Hewhoist's suggestion is perhaps your best option now that you have made so many changes. Assuming that it's Windows 10, after the install allow Windows Update to install all the drivers, don't install any manually unless Windows Update doesn't. It will install the right GPU drivers.

Generally the only drivers you need to manually install are Hotkey (Control Center) and any external device drivers you might have (printers for example).