Forced to buy a hard drive now!

rav007

Enthusiast
I have to say, I have purchased two laptops from PCS and have been really happy. I was ready to buy the Defiance III now, but for some reason I am now being forced to buy a hard drive with it. I had a chat with someone on the live chat who insisted there was no flexibility with this either. It must have at least a trial version of windows installed and that must be on a hard drive that you purchase from them. It's not like they offer cheap hard drives though, the 500GB ones start at £40!

I also asked if I could send in my own drive that I would have been installing into the machine and I was told no. So basically I am being forced to purchase a redundant drive, that I don't need because I already have 3 drives I will be putting into the laptop. This has basically gone against what I thought of PCS to be honest, I am left very disappointed with the complete lack of flexibility. :(

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have to say, I have purchased two laptops from PCS and have been really happy. I was ready to buy the Defiance III now, but for some reason I am now being forced to buy a hard drive with it. I had a chat with someone on the live chat who insisted there was no flexibility with this either. It must have at least a trial version of windows installed and that must be on a hard drive that you purchase from them. It's not like they offer cheap hard drives though, the 500GB ones start at £40!

I also asked if I could send in my own drive that I would have been installing into the machine and I was told no. So basically I am being forced to purchase a redundant drive, that I don't need because I already have 3 drives I will be putting into the laptop. This has basically gone against what I thought of PCS to be honest, I am left very disappointed with the complete lack of flexibility. :(

That's standard practice for warranty purposes. If you were to send in a HDD for installation and testing, then you took the laptop and there were issues with the installation due to the drive, it would be a nightmare for them. It's always been the case that you have to buy 1 drive with the system.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
They need to test the system and can't do that without an HDD being installed.

I assume they won't accept HDDs sent in as that opens up too many possible complexities. I'm sure you'd package your drive properly, but what about someone who doesn't and it gets damaged during transit. Or if someone buys without an HDD and adds in their own, can't get the drive to be recognised or install Windows or whatever, they'll then get asked to troubleshoot the issue. I assume they're limiting themselves extra headaches. It's the same with desktops as with laptops re: needing a drive.

I assume the overwhelming majority of their customers will want a complete system.

So I guess they take a decision not to offer that flexibility as only a small number of people would be looking for it and it could involve a disproportionate level of work/ hassle, and this costs more staff time to deal with.

That's standard practice for warranty purposes. If you were to send in a HDD for installation and testing, then you took the laptop and there were issues with the installation due to the drive, it would be a nightmare for them.
Spyder put it better and more concisely there.

rav007

Enthusiast
I'm going to sit here and be upset for a bit if thats alright with everyone :( Then I will get over it and buy the laptop with a hard drive

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm going to sit here and be upset for a bit if thats alright with everyone :( Then I will get over it and buy the laptop with a hard drive

If that's the worst thing you have to be upset about you're very fortunate! :)

MichaelJones

Maybe get an SSD and sell it on e-bay? Or put it into an external case for backup? I didn't need a HD on my laptop, but had to get one anyway, so got an M.2 as an improvement on what I alreayd had to put into it, and use my old SSD for back up.

rav007

Enthusiast
sgot an M.2 as an improvement on what I alreayd had to put into it, and use my old SSD for back up.

This is my plan now but I have opted for the most basic 128GB M.2. I will probably install a free OS like Ubuntu onto it for dual boot. If windows decides to die on me at least I will have a way to get access to my data that way.