Flight Sim New Build Desktop

MichaelSmith457

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Guys
I have ordered the following from PCS to run my flight sim,MSFS 2020 (eventually) plus other games, I have a full flight desk which is basically Saitek Instrument panels including flight yoke, 2 x throttles, switch Panel, multi panel, radio panel and 10 x times Flight instrument panels, I have been having a lot of problems with these and after seeking advice apparently they do not work well with anything other than USB 2.0, so what motherboard to buy.
I originally had the asus rog strix x570 ordered but this did not have USB 2.0 on the back panel, the one I have chosen now is the one below on the spec, I do play other games such as forza F1 RAC Rally and Call of Duty and eventually i am going to 1440 or maybe 4k monitors, I have over egged a couple of bits like power unit & 2080 plus Graphics, this basically I am 66 and have just been notified that I am being made redundant as a result of the current situation so while i can afford over egging I am.

So to recap what is the best mother board to buy.

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500 ARGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX (USB 3.2 Gen 1, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans
3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

I have taken into account some of your previous recommendations in this build

Thank you

Mick

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As above, all you are missing from that build is the H100i RGB platinum (2nd bottom of the list). I don't know if the H115i will fit, but if it does.... go with that.

Regarding USB 2.0, have you actually had the issues yourself? Believe it or not it's actually down to the USB chipsets that have the issues across the different types. Technically there shouldn't be an issue as they are all backwards compatible but there have been known issues with varying chipsets.

On either motherboard there is going to be an array of chipset control for the USB so one set should ALWAYS work. I wouldn't worry so much though as the STRIX is just a luxury really, the Gaming board is a fine spec and ideal for your uses.

I guess you're using a crazy port number USB hub? I got a 3.0 USB hub from amazon that I had trouble with and then bought a second one without a hitch. It's to run all my driving kit, which actually prefers 2.0 as well (and I did have issues with the front 3.0 USB ports, no issues on the rear using this hub though).

Just in case it's something you would want to look into :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just to add, a little side note, not sure if it's your thing or not but VR would ad a WHOLE other world to your setup.

The down-side of VR is you can't make great use of all the switch panels etc as you can't see everything. I went with the X56 purely because I can feel all the switches with my hands without moving. The experience is second to none though, I honestly cannot explain how good VR is for flight simulation.

MichaelSmith457

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Guys
Thank you for your feed back I have reconfigured as below taking into account of your feed back.
Case
PCS SR-819 RGB FULL TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX (USB 3.2 Gen 1, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans
None
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

Scott
yes I have experienced the USB 2.0 problem, however I hope with the new MSFS I will get them working, I am thinking about downloading the SPAD program, have you had any experience with this program.

I had to change the case as you suspected, I think the one above looks pretty cool.

I was only thinking about VR yesterday have watched a review on you tube by AUSsim, I guess my new system will run a VR ok.

I am also thinking of upgrading my monitors as my current ones are quite old would you suggest I go 1440 or go direct to 4k and if I decide to can I just switch 1 monitor at a time or will it haver to be all 3 together.

What monitor would you suggest.

Finally you guys are great, you have advised and given me the confidence that I now have the right rig.
thanks
Mick or (Michael as my mum would say)
below my flight Deck ASIS
IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2732.jpg

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wouldn't recommend that case for the build. Unfortunately it's not about how the case looks, but how it performs with airflow etc. It has to be a safe house for all that expensive hardware ;)

What was the limitation with the H500? What was the warning when you tried to continue?

That's a fantastic setup you have, looks amazing. Yes the system will handle VR admirably.

With regards to the monitors, with a triple screen setup you're likely to be limited to 1080p. The difficulty is with the resolution. I don't think it's straight forward to have 3 monitors with 2 different resolutions (it's certainly not straight forward). Ideally I would want 1440p across the board, but the system is going to struggle to push all those pixels.

MichaelSmith457

Bronze Level Poster
I wouldn't recommend that case for the build. Unfortunately it's not about how the case looks, but how it performs with airflow etc. It has to be a safe house for all that expensive hardware ;)

What was the limitation with the H500? What was the warning when you tried to continue?

That's a fantastic setup you have, looks amazing. Yes the system will handle VR admirably.

With regards to the monitors, with a triple screen setup you're likely to be limited to 1080p. The difficulty is with the resolution. I don't think it's straight forward to have 3 monitors with 2 different resolutions (it's certainly not straight forward). Ideally I would want 1440p across the board, but the system is going to struggle to push all those pixels.
I have switched the case back as before it said something about the size of the Cooler not fitting but that might have been when I configured it with the H155i cooler, I prefer the H500 anyway and it has 2 USB 2.0 ports on the top as well Happy Days.

My Monitors are BENQ 27inch 1080p but they are 6 years old would it be worth buying 3 new 27inch ones at 1080p or 2 x 32inch curved @ 1440 would I still have the same probs with the 1440 now that its 2 monitors not 3

as you can see I am not that Savvy about these things but I am learning thanks to you guys and of course you tube.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would say so, driving 3x 1080p screens or one of those is going to be fairly similar to be honest. It's for flight simming which is quite hard on the CPU over the GPU so it would run very well IMO.

It's pretty much the be-all and end-all right now.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Jesus !! how would I get that past the missus without her noticing :rolleyes:, seriously though would that run ok on my config.
I might be able to put a bit of my redundancy pay to one side.
It would run well with the 2080ti and leaves room to grow with future GPU upgrades also.

It's very much the best gaming monitor on sale at the moment, it's just an absolute beauty!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
2080Ti would slot in just fine. Quite a jump in price though. For simming it's probably not required to be honest.

That being said, you wouldn't have any regrets if you went for it.

There is another angle to consider. The 2080Ti is due to get blown out the water in September. It may be worth considering going with the 2080 Super right now (which will cope with every Flight Sim), then when FS 2020 comes out, opt for either the 3080 or the 3080Ti.... selling on the 2080 Super at the same time. You could do the same with the 2080Ti of course but I think the depreciation will be higher.

MichaelSmith457

Bronze Level Poster
Surprised that the Rog Strix doesn't have 2.0 on the rear...I imagine any X570 board will be fine...the Rog Strix isn't any better than the others and is more expensive.

Looking at your spec, one area, I'd recommend, budget permitting, is the cooler. Given Flight Sims are CPU heavy, I'd be wanting the best cooler I could get which would either be the Corsair H100i Platinum Hydro or the H115i Platinum. You can also remove the extra thermal paste as coolers these days have good paste that comes with them
Thanks Nursemorph, if you read above you will see that I took your advice reference cooler and paste so thank you for that.

MichaelSmith457

Bronze Level Poster
2080Ti would slot in just fine. Quite a jump in price though. For simming it's probably not required to be honest.

That being said, you wouldn't have any regrets if you went for it.

There is another angle to consider. The 2080Ti is due to get blown out the water in September. It may be worth considering going with the 2080 Super right now (which will cope with every Flight Sim), then when FS 2020 comes out, opt for either the 3080 or the 3080Ti.... selling on the 2080 Super at the same time. You could do the same with the 2080Ti of course but I think the depreciation will be higher.
So buy that mahoosive monitor now and worry about the graphics card later, I must admit I do like that monitor. I will sleep on it (not the monitor) and then do the hoovering, washing up, gardening, shopping, wash her car then tell her she looks as beautiful now as she did when I first met her and then suggest to the missus this monitor is essential.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Probably will need more than that...you might also need to promise to get her an entire wardrobe of new clothes, book her dream holiday and also promise to do all those chores on a daily/weekly/monthly basis for ever...only then might she agree ;)
DIAMONDS.... just offer diamonds, always works. My ex has a huge collection of sugar crystals 🤪

MichaelSmith457

Bronze Level Poster
DIAMONDS.... just offer diamonds, always works. My ex has a huge collection of sugar crystals 🤪
Well what do you know, I was just telling the missus about the fun remarks on here, then I showed her the link to the mahooosive monitor,
And do you know what she then states well I’ve bought myself a new Sewing machine today (£400),(this was last night). So I said jokingly well in that case you won’t mind me buying that monitor, she said I thought you might say that.
So guess what, I AM GOING TO GET THE MONITOR. WTF
I’m going to be selling my 3 x 27” Benq 2760H monitors,my triple monitor stand and my MATROX TripleHead2Go Digital Edition And all the leads To part fund it.
Not sure if I’m allowed to state that on here, delete if necessary.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Got to love the irony that being £400 down which then leads to a further £1100 down means a big win :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well what do you know, I was just telling the missus about the fun remarks on here, then I showed her the link to the mahooosive monitor,
And do you know what she then states well I’ve bought myself a new Sewing machine today (£400),(this was last night). So I said jokingly well in that case you won’t mind me buying that monitor, she said I thought you might say that.
So guess what, I AM GOING TO GET THE MONITOR. WTF
I’m going to be selling my 3 x 27” Benq 2760H monitors,my triple monitor stand and my MATROX TripleHead2Go Digital Edition And all the leads To part fund it.
Not sure if I’m allowed to state that on here, delete if necessary.
AMAZING!!!! I want to shake your missus by the hand, she sounds like a rational woman!