Final Build Check

Potatoguru

Bronze Level Poster
After looking at a lot of the advice i was given i changed my order around and thought i'd check my final build on here with you guys. Are there any significant upgrades i could make to the system without going over £1500 that would be worth the money? Gaming on a 1440p 60Hz Monitor at the moment. (Also i'd rather not switch from Intel to AMD as it would involve cancelling my order)

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 275Q QUIET CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-9600K (3.7 GHz) 9 MB Cache

down_right_arrow.gif
Get Battlefield 1, creative software & More w/ select Intel CPUs!
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME Z370-P II: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready! (will upgrade to super when it's available on the site)
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2.5" SSD, (upto 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Cable Management
PCS 1.5M Zip Cable Tidy - Professional Cable Management
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 3 to 5 working days
Price: £1,294.00 including VAT and Delivery

Flo

Silver Level Poster
Cancel and order AMD :) If you want a quiet case have a look at the Fractal Define S. Buying a SATA SSD is wasted if storing movies/music etc. You can up the m2 SSD to 1tb or keep it at 500gb and add a 2tb hard drive. If you don't need the wifi drop the card otherwise upgrade to a faster model. Have a look at the RTX 2060 super if budget allows or buy without card and purchase this separately.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Agreed with all of the above.

Especially cancelling and going AMD. The 9600k is just not a smart buy.

Isn't it worth the hassle to get a better system?

Potatoguru

Bronze Level Poster
The i5 9600k outperforms the 3600x in a lot of the 1440p gaming benchmarks i've seen and i don't intend on using the PC as a workstation at any point so didn't think i would benefit as much from the AMD chips. Is the i5 really such a bad choice..?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I saw you mention this in another thread, that the 9600k is apparently better than a 3600 at 1440p, and wondered about that but didn't have time to get into it.

Since then:

They trade blows, with performance being pretty similar in many cases anyway (are you gonna notice the 3600 beat a 9600k by 2 FPS, or vice versa)

Remember too that benchmarks are often done with a GPU like a 2080 ti, whereas in reality for you, you're gonna be GPU bottlenecked nearly all of the time such that even if you had a 9900k overclocked to 6GHZ on LN2 or something equally silly, you're actually gonna get pretty similar performance to an R5 3600.

Whereas the AMD CPU has more threads. Arguably more futureproof for gaming, much like an i7 was more futureproof than an i5 way back in 2012 - even when some games actually suffered from hyperthreading back then - similar to how some games lose performance with AMD's SMT today...)

And you get a much better motherboard for the same price. Even with the X470 one.

And nobody expects Intel's future CPUs to be compatible with Z370/390. While AMD have pledged support for AM4 into 2020 I believe (i.e. likely Zen 2 Refresh).

NB: You appear to be opting for a quiet system. Which means you can probably get away with the stock AMD cooler, which Techspot notes:
With the Wraith Stealth installed the R5 3600 maintained a 4 GHz clock speed out of the box during our 1 hour long Blender stress test. This is an extreme stress test, so having it peaking at just 80 degrees is pretty good, especially given it was virtually silent.
So you save on the Noctua cooler.

It's not just that the 3600 is more versatile for specific software you won't be using; it's that it's very competitive in gaming, the whole package is more versatile (mobo, fan, etc) and offers more features for the same or indeed a lower price overall.

Edit: Bottom line is that by the time your 3600 sucks too much to give acceptable performance in future games, your 9600k is almost certain to as well. As games uses more cores and threads, the 9600k may even hit that mark first. And the AM4 platform will have given more features and possibly offer more upgrade options in the meantime, and indeed still leave viable upgrade options open at that point.

Last edited:

Potatoguru

Bronze Level Poster
Okay you've convinced me, the extra threads in the Ryzen being more futureproof seems like a big deal for me as i don't plan on upgrading this PC for a long time. Should i get the 3600 or the 3600X ? As for the cooler i really want my system to run as quiet and cool as possible so i'll probably stick with the Noctua.

Thanks again.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The 3600x is £50 more than the 3600 and that doesn't seem worth it to me.

I would honestly give the Wraith Stealth a chance.

Techspot described at as nearly silent during Blender, which is a far heavier load than gaming ever will be. And 80 degrees under Blender load is actually pretty decent; my 3770k (admittedly with an overclock) hits high 70s, low 80s, with a dual fan cooler in some games (nevermind 100% load stress tests) and has (touch wood) made it 6-7 years.

Save yourself £61. If you decide you want something quieter you can always buy yourself a nice 120mm be quiet! cooler for ~£30 or whatever.

In gaming you're probably not going to hear the CPU cooler over the GPU anyway.