External hard drive failed?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hey all,

so, i tried to use my external seagate drive tonight, just wanted to chuck a few new albums in my backup folder.

out of four folders, three would open fine, but one wouldnt. :(

Said i needed to format the drive, lol no thanks!

then said

Capture.PNG

Any ideas?

steaky360

Sounds pretty bad, I take it there is no way to copy the data on the harddrive? If you can copy all of the stuff off the hard drive might be worthwhile just formatting.

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
this happened to me last night but i had 2tb of data n i lost it all i spent hours trying to get it off but i had no luck :(

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Looks like your drive has a bad sector or sectors,try running check disk.
In computer,right click on drive/properties/tools/under "error checking" select "check now"/
tick both boxes "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors/start.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Sounds pretty bad, I take it there is no way to copy the data on the harddrive? If you can copy all of the stuff off the hard drive might be worthwhile just formatting.

well the data on that specific folder is pretty much an exact copy of my music files from my wd green, so i aint lost anything.

the whole external drive is just a backup drive, so ironically my backup drive seems to have failed :surrender:

maybe i should have made a backup of my backups on another backup drive.....

tom_gr7

Life Serving
this happened to me last night but i had 2tb of data n i lost it all i spent hours trying to get it off but i had no luck :(

gutted mate, :(

Looks like your drive has a bad sector or sectors,try running check disk.
In computer,right click on drive/properties/tools/under "error checking" select "check now"/
tick both boxes "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors/start.

thanks dude, am already doing it :) (thanks to NMEBowen) but it seems to have stopped lol

steaky360

maybe i should have made a backup of my backups on another backup drive.....

Nooo if people start doing that then when do we stop... is the backup of the backup which backs up the original backup a sufficient backup or do we require further backups? :stuart:

Have you too much stuff to backup to a free/cheap 'cloud network' service provider?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I managed to run check disk, it took a while, but it works again now :) so saved me buying another one hahah

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Glad that worked for you,thing is the error message you received could mean the external hard drive is on the way out.Usually there is a diagnostic tool available from the manufacturer to check the health of the drive,maybe worth trying that if available as your using the drive for back up.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
thanks dude, i will have a look see :)

i would like a WD external drive, but until this one dies i cant justify getting a new one,

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Im not too sure you want a WD external drive either mate, I have a couple of the WD 1TB MyBooks;they are not the best in my opinion; poor performance via usb 2.0 (i cant vouch for the later usb 3.0 one) and keep spinning up noisily for no reason when plugged into the pc despite checking power management features werent on a strange setting; they are also a little loud. Normally wd drives are great, but i wont be getting another mybook at least.

I also have a couple of Seagates, a Buffalo, a Core, and a Lacie. The Lacie (usb powered only) is the best out of the lot of them; quiet, quick; and stays off when not in use. The Buffalo isnt bad either, if it would just stop eating the lawn. :yawn:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have a WD 1TB Elements and havent had any problems, except when i dropped it and broke it, luckily they gave me a replacement, the replacement has been working great ever since, remember, hard drives dont last forever, probably only 4-5 years on average