Entering BIOS (new PC)

paul1224

Hi

Might be a silly question but ordered a new PC (as per other thread) with no OS as Microsoft have stated I can transfer my digital licence via booting the IOS from USB and signing into my Microsoft account. It might work it might not as Microsoft have been a bit flaky with their advice but worse case scenario I could buy a reduced W10 Education from work. PC is in processing at the mo.

Question is, how do I get into BIOS from first boot. My thoughts were to just F2/delete as soon as turned PC on but then I realised that my keyboard is USB and normally the USB doesn't activate until after the boot (far as I know). If that doesn't work then going into the BIOS via Windows 10 (the test version PCS put on) via 'Troubleshooting' seems the only other logical way.

Do people think the above is the best course of action? Is there a 'best practice' way to boot W10 on a new PC (I won't have a DVD tray on the PC)?

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Usb on modern motherboards should be active as soon as the PC is switched on. If it’s wireless there may be issues.

I use a usb keyboard on mine to access the bios from boot.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Not just modern motherboards too! I was sprucing up a PC with an abit IP 35 Pro motherboard recently and it was totally fine with USB keyboards for the BIOS.

And all more modern ones I've encountered.

Wireless KBs should be just as fine as wired ones I had thought? The wireless part of the communication is between the KB and the dongle, but I believe as far as the PC is concerned it's any other UBS device.

There might be different methods for transferring the digital licence, but can it not just be done within Windows?

paul1224

Thanks for the replies, my keyboard is wireless but I can get a wired USB one from work so might do that to be safe.

Microsoft (vaguely) stated that as I have W10 Pro to not transfer digital licence within Windows 10 only from booting the ISO. I think only if you have a W10 product key can you easily upgrade/digitally sign from within W10.

I'll take a USB wired keyboard from work and try to boot ISO via that and hope it goes according to plan!