DVD drive no longer reads DVD's

Al.Neri

Super Star
this is the second problem I have encountered since I got my computer back from RMA, and has only started happening in the last day or so.

I can no longer get my DVD drive to read DVD's, or game disks. it can still read CD's and data disks, so it is still technically working at least, but it is useless for what I primarily want to use it for.

is this yet another hardware issue that seems to be blighting me, or something else?

steaky360

this is the second problem I have encountered since I got my computer back from RMA, and has only started happening in the last day or so.

I can no longer get my DVD drive to read DVD's, or game disks. it can still read CD's and data disks, so it is still technically working at least, but it is useless for what I primarily want to use it for.

is this yet another hardware issue that seems to be blighting me, or something else?

This happened to an older PC of mine and if I remember correctly it was a faulty DVD drive. You should be able to RMA just the drive itself if this is the case, saves you sending the whole system away again!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
What is the device status showing as in device manager?
type device manager in search box,or
click start/right click "computer"/properties/on the left hand side select "device manager"
right click on dvd device/properties/"general" tab.
If it gives a code 19 error
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
Start Registry Editor Click Start, type regedit in the quick search, and then click the regedit icon in the search results. Registry Editor starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters\LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM
3. Expand ControlSet001
4. Expand Control
5. Expand Class
6. Search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and left click on it, bringing the values up on the right
In the right hand pane (topic area), you may have Upperfilters, Lowerfilters or both, click UpperFilters if you have it, and delete it, if you have LowerFilters as well, delete this also. If you only have one of the two, just delete that one, don't worry about the one that isn't there.

Last edited:

Al.Neri

Super Star
This happened to an older PC of mine and if I remember correctly it was a faulty DVD drive. You should be able to RMA just the drive itself if this is the case, saves you sending the whole system away again!

I just hope it's not the start of a string of device failures now my warranty has run out (I think it may have), it could become more expensive than I can deal with.

What is the device status showing as in device manager?
type device manager in search box,or
click start/right click "computer"/properties/on the left hand side select "device manager"
right click on dvd device/properties/"general" tab.
If it gives a code 19 error
"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"
Start Registry Editor Click Start, type regedit in the quick search, and then click the regedit icon in the search results. Registry Editor starts.
Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters\LowerFilters registry entry
1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM
3. Expand ControlSet001
4. Expand Control
5. Expand Class
6. Search for the key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and left click on it, bringing the values up on the right
In the right hand pane (topic area), you may have Upperfilters, Lowerfilters or both, click UpperFilters if you have it, and delete it, if you have LowerFilters as well, delete this also. If you only have one of the two, just delete that one, don't worry about the one that isn't there.

device manager says it is working properly.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Best give PCS a call,as steaky said they will probably send you out a new drive,unless they have another solution.