Do I buy a 5800X...

• Thread starter Deleted member 17413
  • Start date

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'd assume I would have to get the bios update from PCS, otherwise its a dead warranty...
Would it be supplied with the chip? A Mod might know... i've put the idea back on the afterburner for now, otherhalf isnt keen on me spending more! But I tend to win these kind of arguements if I eventually decide to go for it...
I’m sure if you ordered a chip off PCS they would agree to a BIOS update. But yes, you’d need to run it past them and explain your reasons (which are obvious and necessary)

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster
Now, i'm wrestling with the idea of buying a 5800X, dont really want to do it as an upgrade through PCS/RMA so would mean installing it myself (which ive never done before) and also then repasting.

Its another £400 on top of a machine ive already spent well over 2K on, and to be completely honest with myself, does everything I need it to.... but the 5800X would do it better.

Both video editing and gaming would benefit from it... (also considering increasing RAM to 32GB) and when I started playing with 1440p video edits and 4K video edits my render times started jumping quite significantly... so I think I would actually benefit from it.

Im just not sure I actually -need- it, and the installation and reconfiguring BIOS (would I need to do anything to BIOS?) are all things i've got no knowledge on other than physically where the chip goes on the board...

Is this just FOMO getting to me?
You also lose your warranty if you change your CPU without sending it to PCS.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
You also lose your warranty if you change your CPU without sending it to PCS.
That's not quite true, I think you may have jumped in without reading further...

As I stated earlier in this thread:

Just to be the boring guy I feel like I should mention the warranty side of things. Terms and Conditions state:

We reserve the right to suspend the warranty or refuse service if your Case, Motherboard, CPU or BIOS have been replaced without authorisation.
Any tampering, repair or modification by unauthorised personnel voids the warranty.

So if you buy from an external vendor, you're potentially losing technical support and your warranty.

But they will send you the CPU to install yourself.

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster
That's not quite true, I think you may have jumped in without reading further...

As I stated earlier in this thread:

Just to be the boring guy I feel like I should mention the warranty side of things. Terms and Conditions state:

We reserve the right to suspend the warranty or refuse service if your Case, Motherboard, CPU or BIOS have been replaced without authorisation.
Any tampering, repair or modification by unauthorised personnel voids the warranty.

So if you buy from an external vendor, you're potentially losing technical support and your warranty.

But they will send you the CPU to install yourself.
I rang them about it as I changed my CPU, they said unless you send it into them you're voiding your warranty.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I don’t think that’s true, I’ve just done a dummy order from PCS for the CPU for my system with the ‘I will install myself’ option and it hasn’t flagged that anywhere.

I suspect that if you damage the PC whilst installing it yourself you may invalidate your warranty, and that’s where there may be some wires crossed.

D

Deleted member 17413

I got it from Amazon, but I rang them before I had bought it and they didn't say if I got it from them it'd be ok so I'm just going by what i heard from PCS.
That was probably your problem...
If I do it, it would be from PCS, so comes with their authorisation/green light.
As Agentcooper says, unless they authorise it then they can kill the warranty

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That was probably your problem...
If I do it, it would be from PCS, so comes with their authorisation/green light.
As Agentcooper says, unless they authorise it then they can kill the warranty
I agree, I think there’s too many gaps in what was said and what was not said for me to consider their statement as viable. And it would make a bit of a mockery of the open case policy if they had that stance.

I might put my feelers out with the PCS staff to get official verification but I’m fairly convinced I’m right about this.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I’m sure if you ordered a chip off PCS they would agree to a BIOS update. But yes, you’d need to run it past them and explain your reasons (which are obvious and necessary)
I would be very sure this would be the case. I received permission from them to update my BIOS to try solve my USB issues - now that's obviously a totally different reason of course - but similar in that it was required to try make my purchased parts function correctly. Their main issue seemed to be to esnure that I only used the BIOS file link they provided and that I follow their update process instructions to the letter.

In other words, I don't think they would have any issues with BIOS updates in general - but they will insist that it is done strictly under the condtions they lay down and using the process that they dictate to the individual customer.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I agree, I think there’s too many gaps in what was said and what was not said for me to consider their statement as viable. And it would make a bit of a mockery of the open case policy if they had that stance.

I might put my feelers out with the PCS staff to get official verification but I’m fairly convinced I’m right about this.
It is that way with general components, you're fine to fit them, but you have to replace them with the original parts if getting any RMA.

With the CPU that's less possible i guess.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
It is that way with general components, you're fine to fit them, but you have to replace them with the original parts if getting any RMA.

With the CPU that's less possible i guess.
It seems it’s now a grey area seeing as the upgrade service doesn’t wave a big red flag regarding warranty at you if you order a new CPU from them. It’ll be good to find out anyway, if it turns out it would invalidate the warranty regardless we need to know that to warn customers in future 👍

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
It seems it’s now a grey area seeing as the upgrade service doesn’t wave a big red flag regarding warranty at you if you order a new CPU from them. It’ll be good to find out anyway, if it turns out it would invalidate the warranty regardless we need to know that to warn customers in future 👍
I would note that the Upgrade option excludes Cases and Motherboards - because it would obviously be utterly crazy to allow upgrade on these from PCS and still keep a warranty on anything else in a build - so it's clever enough to not give you those options.

So when it comes to the CPU, perhaps the upgrade configurator is thoughtfully set up when you consider that?

But would be great to have clarification without any doubt.....

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
you would have thought if it wasgoing to invalidate the warranty it it wouldn't be on the upgrade configurator in the same way that mobo & cases aren't

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh, yeah, should have clarified, I meant IF installing parts gotten elsewhere from PCS

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I would note that the Upgrade option excludes Cases and Motherboards - because it would obviously be utterly crazy to allow upgrade on these from PCS and still keep a warranty on anything else in a build - so it's clever enough to not give you those options.

So when it comes to the CPU, perhaps the upgrade configurator is thoughtfully set up when you consider that?

But would be great to have clarification without any doubt.....
you would have thought if it wasgoing to invalidate the warranty it it wouldn't be on the upgrade configurator in the same way that mobo & cases aren't
Exactly! The fact that I got to the payment screen without issue is what leads me to believe I’m on the right track. It’d be a bit draconian otherwise.
Oh, yeah, should have clarified, I meant IF installing parts gotten elsewhere from PCS
You made me doubt myself! 😜

04572CA7-DDCE-4695-BDFF-F3C472368FFB.gif

I'd assume I would have to get the bios update from PCS, otherwise its a dead warranty...
Would it be supplied with the chip? A Mod might know... i've put the idea back on the afterburner for now, otherhalf isnt keen on me spending more! But I tend to win these kind of arguements if I eventually decide to go for it...
Just be very careful the nightmare of a bent pin tho tbh the 5800x is a beast in terms of thermals theres apparantly a bit of a lottery on idle temps some peoples 5800x runs very hot others dont I personally would stick with the 3800xt if its doing what you want it to !

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster

I don't know if what you're saying is right all I know is I was never told "Well if you buy it from us you can keep your warranty.", like I said I hadn't even said I'd purchased it yet to them so for all they knew I could've been buying from them. (just read this back and it sounds very passive aggressive - didn't mean it that way but I cant work it any better xD)