Desktop suddenly very slow.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
No problems normally but for last couple of days my PC is taking much longer to change web sites. Would it pay to reinstall windows 10 or is there a more simple method to speed it up. Any replies in simple English please.
thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No problems normally but for last couple of days my PC is taking much longer to change web sites. Would it pay to reinstall windows 10 or is there a more simple method to speed it up. Any replies in simple English please.
thanks
Can you post your full specs from the order page?

What antivirus are you using?

Have you used any driver optimisers?

Can you post a screenshot of your optional updates page?

To be honest, Windows 10 stopped getting platform updates at the end of 2022, it's quite out of date now in that respect, it goes fully out of support in October this year.

I would suggest a clean install of Windows 11 if you're facing performance issues.

RedOnTheRun

I agree with Spider on this one WIN11 is probably the way to go.

You could always try running these two scripts in CMD PROMPT (Run as Administrator) to see if there is any corrupted files in the OS:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
<ENTER> - let it run (it usually gets stuck at 62.3% but thats normal, just let it run)

SFC /scannow
<ENTER>

Additionally, depending on your Motherboard, I'd suggest getting either ARMOURYCRATE (ASUS) or APPCENTER // CONTROLCENTER (GIGABYTE) and download any firmware updated for the motherboard, it could be a network issue that the Windows Drivers can't update any more.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Al has had systemic issues going on for several years now, but never replies so it's not possible to know if anything has been taken on board.

But from the last several posts of theirs, their windows installation hasn't been ok for at least 2 years.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
To be honest, Windows 10 stopped getting platform updates at the end of 2022, it's quite out of date now in that respect, it goes fully out of support in October this year.
Windows 10 support ends on 14th October 2025 Source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

In any case, Windows 10 is still receiving security and other necessary updates, it's only feature updates that have stopped. I am personally not a fan of upgrading to Windows 11 in order to try and fix a problem. I would advise at least understanding what's causing the problem before upgrading. Otherwise you risk opening up a new can or worms.

@al shookup if your only problem is that your browser is taking a long time to change websites then try the following...
  • Start your browser with extensions and add-ons disabled. These are often a cause of browsing problems. See here for details on how top do this on Firefox, Edge, Chrome (and all Chromium based browsers).
  • Install a different browser and see whether it suffers the same problems.
Once you have a stable system that behaves the way you expect then you can consider upgrading to Windows 11.

al shookup

Bronze Level Poster
thanks to all who replied. I have decided to upgrade to WIN 11 so hopefully it will reinvigorate the machine.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
thanks to all who replied. I have decided to upgrade to WIN 11 so hopefully it will reinvigorate the machine.
It will, but if your problem was being caused by a browser extension or add-on, or if it was being caused by some flaky third-party software, and you reinstall that extension/add-on/software, then you'll be back where you started.

Poke-and-hope is never a good troubleshooting technique.