Defiance XS, a step backwards?

rav007

Enthusiast
I just checked the current line-up and saw the 15.6 Defiance is now refreshed into a Defiance XS. As an ownder of the predecessor I noticed the following main differences:

Thickness: 18.6mm vs 25mm on previous model.
Weight: 1.9kg vs 3kg on previous model

Less HDD capacoty: 1 x M.2 and 1x 7mm 2.5" vs 2x both on previous model
RAM: 2 slots vs 4
GPU: MaxQ? why?
Webcam: 2MP, I think mine is 1.3MP?
Audio: No more support for 5.1ch audio!

So essentially its thinner and lighter, and as a result there are tradeoffs. However, the price is comparable to my laptop when I bought it 10 months ago... so is this really a positive? Do people really want gaming laptops to be thinner and lighter compromising options and upgradeability? I'd much rather have this thicker and heavier laptop I currently own. Also 25mm isn't even thick! Why do people think performance needs to be thinner and lighter? This is an oxymoron in my opinion

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Started to answer this and got distracted so second attempt...

I have to agree with you on the whole. One of the main reasons I went with my original DII was the sheer number of drives I could fit. As I've mentioned previously I have a lot of virtual machines set up for labs and demos so they take up a lot of space.

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd found the space to accommodate the 15mm drives so you could fit one of the newer 4 or 5TB 2.5" units in but for now this alone would put me off.

And although no one here has said anything about the heat (and I'd assume they would have done) it just seems counterintuitive to me to have put such a powerful (albeit like most laptop GPU's somewhat crippled compared to their desktop counterparts) GPU into such a small space.

All that said, I travel a lot for work with mine so anything that could potentially cut down on weight would ultimately be welcomed.