Defiance III ordered

rav007

Enthusiast
I have put in the order. I can't wait :tooth: :sweatdrop::stuart: :chef:

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 6700HQ (2.6GHz, 3.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
1st Hard Disk
NOT REQUIRED
M.2 SSD Drive
128GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (534MB/R, 150MB/W)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Power Supply
1 x 200W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + MIC/Headphone + SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8260 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.1 Type A, 2 x USB 3.1 Type C AS STANDARD
Battery
Defiance Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (60WH)
Keyboard Language
DEFIANCE SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media
NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
FAST TRACK 3 WORKING DAY DISPATCH
Promotional Item
FREE PARAGON GAME READY PACK with select GTX 1060 Systems!
Quantity

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would amend that M2 drive, it's worse than a poor SSD, for only a few quid more you could up it to the samsung for 10 times the performance.
It would also be worth plumping for the better thermal paste in any laptop, a few degrees improvement is massive on a laptop.

Madheisen

I got the same version of this laptop but with the 6820HK as I need the overclocking capabilities and the GTX 1070,

Now the question is,

Does it have enough cooling power to go up to 4.0 without throttling ?

Also, everyone seems to go with the Samsung Evo but I went with the 240GB HyperX SAVAGE 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)

Will there be any down sides ?

Cheers.

rav007

Enthusiast
I would amend that M2 drive, it's worse than a poor SSD, for only a few quid more you could up it to the samsung for 10 times the performance.
It would also be worth plumping for the better thermal paste in any laptop, a few degrees improvement is massive on a laptop.

I wanted to go for the cheapest M.2 possible because I already have my own samsung nvme one that I will put in. This is simply because I was forced to buy a drive with it and I already have 1 M.2 and 2 Sata drives I dont think I will use it at all to be honest.

As for thermal paste I have a few of my own ones at home, Im much more comfortable repasting myself with a choice of pastes than paying £9 for mx4 paste which I bought myself for half that price.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I wanted to go for the cheapest M.2 possible because I already have my own samsung nvme one that I will put in. This is simply because I was forced to buy a drive with it and I already have 1 M.2 and 2 Sata drives I dont think I will use it at all to be honest.

As for thermal paste I have a few of my own ones at home, Im much more comfortable repasting myself with a choice of pastes than paying £9 for mx4 paste which I bought myself for half that price.

Ah, ok, makes perfect sense.
In that case, looks all good, nice balanced build.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I agree with Spydertracks about the thermal paste. I've just posted a year (and-a-bit) review of my Defiance II and it can get very, very hot.

rav007

Enthusiast
I agree with Spydertracks about the thermal paste. I've just posted a year (and-a-bit) review of my Defiance II and it can get very, very hot.

I always repaste every 12 to 18 months. It may seem excessive but I noticed that the basic pastes dry out and almost become crumbly at the 2 year mark. Also I really don't like putting on much paste and have noticed with past laptops (not necessarily from PCS) that they tend to put on too much paste.

Think he's got his own he's going to apply.

Your comments were still completely valid and hopefully someone else will find them useful. :chef:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Y'know what...I completely missed the section where you said you have your own paste! I mean, literally, I either read it and simply failed to take it in or skipped past it without even realising!!

My own Defiance II is ready I am sure - 16 months in and temps are on the up, on average.

Tell you what though, mate, you've bought a cracking laptop. I absolutely love mine. It takes everything I throw at it and like when you dunk a hobnob biscuit it screams "that all ya got??? MOORREEEEE!!!"

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Does it have enough cooling power to go up to 4.0 without throttling ?

Also, everyone seems to go with the Samsung Evo but I went with the 240GB HyperX SAVAGE 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)

Will there be any down sides ?
Whether you can get a 6820HK up to 4.0GHz probably depends on a lot, not least the silicon lottery (i.e. every chip is slightly different in how much voltage it needs, how far it can go while remaining stable, etc). But a lot of people do seem to get 4GHz off the 6820k - though that's on a range of different chassis. So it's random luck to a degree.

The HyperX is fine, you probably won't notice much difference in day to day use with the 850 Evo. Either one of those is better than the cheaper SSDs, and much faster than an HDD. If you want to see the performance differences between the 850 Evo and HyperX Fury you can google reviews of them. You can of course consider going for one of the M.2 NVMe SSDs in the M.2 SSD section such as the SM961.

rav007

Enthusiast
Tell you what though, mate, you've bought a cracking laptop. I absolutely love mine. It takes everything I throw at it and like when you dunk a hobnob biscuit it screams "that all ya got??? MOORREEEEE!!!"

No I have to go to Tescos and buy some hobnobs, because that feeling! :p

Neo

Bronze Level Poster

Haha reminded me of the Peter Kay sketch there :)