Defiance III 15in GTX 1060 (Clevo P651RP6-G) review has been released in german

rav007

Enthusiast
Firstly, hello.

The Clevo P651RP6-G is effectively the same as the Defiance III which is officially listed as the P650RS-G on PCS's site. The review which includes images, temperatures (cue Moheli), etc is all here: http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-Schenker-XMG-P507-Clevo-P651RP6-G-Notebook.171275.0.html

I think it's safe to say the Defiance III should be identical in terms of performance. The browser translation doesn't make for the smoothest reading, but at least it is some legit information.

The predecessor's (Defiance II's) review can be found here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Clevo-P651SE-Schenker-XMG-P505-Barebones-Notebook-Review.127978.0.html

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd noticed though had stopped short of posting links as that company is a rival to PCS so wasn't sure how that fit with the usual no-competitor-links policy on the forum :) Notebookcheck is a good place to go for reviews of various laptops, including screen performance and temps.

rav007

Enthusiast
Yeah I wouldnt have posted if it was directly on their own website, but as it was notebookcheck and a german review i figured people would ask less questions :chef:

aarpri972

Bronze Level Poster
for what is marketed as the budget 10 series gpu card currently, these are very good temps as well as performance from both the gpu and cpu.

Though i noted that the i7 and 1060 are soldered down 'brr. would meaning upgrading to a 1070 would be possible but only by getting a whole new motherboard, cpu and gpu -_-. maybe pcs are amazing and do that in their upgrade offers xD.

I'm very impressed with the 1060 in the 15'' tbh. I've got a defiance III in pre-production that's 17'' and that should perform far better temp and sound wise as it's bigger and there's more room.

the screen quality, noises and various other things in the review don't really bother me or concern me so much as I've got an r1 m14x alienware that's erm well ancient and was a stock freebie. my younger brother won it in a competition and when he got himself a desktop. So i took it and asked for his alien as it outperformed my acer at the time xD.

to put a perspective on why i don't care about most of it: my current laptop has a geforce gt 555m and a a very old I5 processor (can't remember the model but research says it was probably 2nd gen). and to put it simply I'm upgrading to a 6th gen top of the line i7 and a 1060 gpu desktop variant xD.

moheli

Silver Level Poster
Same, I don't care about anything besides temperatures. I know the capabilities of the GTX 1000 series, I just want to know how these laptops can deal with them. And, from what I can tell, the Defiance III is pretty average in its heat management. Not what I'm looking for, unfortunately. What about the Octane III? Any German reviews on that?

aarpri972

Bronze Level Poster
Same, I don't care about anything besides temperatures. I know the capabilities of the GTX 1000 series, I just want to know how these laptops can deal with them. And, from what I can tell, the Defiance III is pretty average in its heat management. Not what I'm looking for, unfortunately. What about the Octane III? Any German reviews on that?

the 17'' variant should have better heat management as it's larger therefore the heat can dissipate over a larger area. from what i've seen majority of laptops hover around the 35-45 degree area which is where the 15'' variant is coming in.

at the end of the day these are laptops and aren't going to be amazing at heat dissipation. best bet is raise it off the desk or table it's on with a stand and add some fans if you want too.

rav007

Enthusiast
From my experience, dont expect more copper pipes, bigger heat sinks/fans, bigger laptops, fatter laptops, etc, to cool better. The truth is we are already nearing the maximum capability of heat dissipation. I'm talking both as a gaming laptop enthusiast and as an engineer.

From an engineering point of view, it's a very difficult problem, because although you can throw bigger fans in there all they do is create more noise, draw more power, and require a wider sink with more fins. More fins means more material for the heatsink and more space, but on the flipside also means further for the heat energy to travel. The ideal would be just to have a fat stack of fins and cross-flow blowers mounted onto the CPU to reduce the physical distance the heat needs to travel, but unless you want the bottom of your laptop to look like new york city with different height heat-sinks, this is as good as you will get.

Some laptops may get your temps down to the 50s or 40s at exhaust, but the CPU will still be 80C regardless and therefore there will always be a temperature gradient from CPU to exhaust vents. Its unavoidable. Perhaps if they do make a "smart material" that can decided how to deal with heat, things will work out better.

aarpri972

Bronze Level Poster
I'm the engineer myself and wasn't expecting improved cooling inthat sense but rather the bigger it is the more energy it takes to heat to the same level as a smaller variant.

But then again by that definition i'd expect the temperatures to run the same as the 17'' would probably draw more energy and go for longer before reaching critical temperatures that would cause throttling. so in all honesty i probably wouldn't expect a decrease in loaded temps as you've rightfully said.

rav007

Enthusiast
I'm the engineer myself and wasn't expecting improved cooling inthat sense but rather the bigger it is the more energy it takes to heat to the same level as a smaller variant.

But then again by that definition i'd expect the temperatures to run the same as the 17'' would probably draw more energy and go for longer before reaching critical temperatures that would cause throttling. so in all honesty i probably wouldn't expect a decrease in loaded temps as you've rightfully said.

Yeah, you will understand it like I do. I tend to generalise the problems so most people understand it on quite a basic level, like a engineering Professor Brian Cox.. that doesn't get paid and isn't well known. :chef:

moheli

Silver Level Poster
Come on, you're engineering enthusiasts! Where's your ingenuity? Just kidding. Though, from what I've seen, the Octane series seem to be best in dissipating heat – not by a large margin but still. And I'm not interested in anything larger than a 15.6".

Last edited:

rav007

Enthusiast
A video of the Defiance III/equivalent 15in (not PCS but also not in UK, the company seems to be based in singapore so shouldn't be a problem to share here). [Sorry, it may not be in the UK but it is advertising a different company - I left the notebook check one cos it was more of a chassis review rather than advertising]

Last edited by a moderator:

moheli

Silver Level Poster
Wish I had an air-conditioned room. And we need better cooling stands too, the CoolerMaster Ergostand III seems like it would be awesome but I feel like cooling stands generally aren't much of a priority for manufacturers.

By the way, check out this YouTuber. He seems to be quite heavily invested in Clevo/Sager laptops.
https://www.youtube.com/user/htwingnut/feed

Last edited: