Comparing three laptops; would like some advice!

danvi92

Hi everyone!

I've been looking for a good laptop for a while. The laptop will mainly be used for heavy programs to render video, programs such as blender and gaming (mainly shooters). I know a desktop is better, but it really needs to be a laptop! I've downsized my search to the three models below. I'd like to know your opinion on what's best for my needs.

Recoil RTX III 15.6"

144hz LED widescreen 72% NTSC
i7 9750H processor
RTX 2060 GPU
2x 8GB 2666 MHZ RAM
1 TB Seagate HDD (7200 rpm)
250 GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
Cooler master gel
Price: €1822,-

Vortex IX 15,6"

144hz LED widescreen 72% NTSC + Nvidia G-Sync
i7 9750H processor
RTX 2070 GPU
2x 8GB 2666 MHZ RAM
Cooler master gel
Price: €2024,-

Proteus VI 15,6"
144hz LED widescreen 72% NTSC
i7 8750H processor
RTX 2070 GPU
2x 8GB 2666 MHZ RAM
Cooler master gel
Price: €1742,-

Tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I'd probably discount the Recoil as decent a chassis though it is, it's just not competing against the others on specs vs price.

It's half a kilo lighter than the Vortex and much lighter than the Proteus (2kg, 2.5kg, 3kg respectively, so only go with it if weight is critical.

The Vortex has gsync, and is lighter than the proteus, and it also sports a faster GPU. It's up to you if that's worth almost 300€ more.

I'd probably wait for reviews / look for reviews of the Vortex before buying, if I were you, just to satisfy myself that the chassis itself was what I wanted / a decent performer for thermals, etc

Flo

Silver Level Poster
If you are interested in the vortex you might find the bellow video useful. The model reviewed is the older version with i7 8750h but everything else seems to be the same. I have been looking at the 17" model but PCS do not stock this at the moment.

Video

danvi92

I'd probably discount the Recoil as decent a chassis though it is, it's just not competing against the others on specs vs price.

It's half a kilo lighter than the Vortex and much lighter than the Proteus (2kg, 2.5kg, 3kg respectively, so only go with it if weight is critical.

The Vortex has gsync, and is lighter than the proteus, and it also sports a faster GPU. It's up to you if that's worth almost 300€ more.

I'd probably wait for reviews / look for reviews of the Vortex before buying, if I were you, just to satisfy myself that the chassis itself was what I wanted / a decent performer for thermals, etc

I lean toward the Vortex IX, mostly because the proteus VI cooling worries me. The new CPU was reviewed as more efficient - drawing less power and thus less thermal issues, which is why upgrading the extra money seems worth.

danvi92

If you are interested in the vortex you might find the bellow video useful. The model reviewed is the older version with i7 8750h but everything else seems to be the same. I have been looking at the 17" model but PCS do not stock this at the moment.

Video
Thanks a lot! it's reassuring to see the cooling is great! I think its even better with the 9750H, since reviews of that CPU compared to the 8750H showed less thermal issues. I also feel like the Proteus VI is a little "too good to be true", given the full RTX 2070 for a relatively low price.

One more thing! the video shows the Clevo PB51EF-G chassis, is that the chassis that is used for the Vortex?

Flo

Silver Level Poster
I believe the full chassis number is Clevo PB50RF-G. As far as I can tell, it is same chassis as in the video but with the newer processor. The Proteus is cheaper due to lack of g-sync. It also sports the older processor. If you look at both models, the Vortex has the smaller footprint due to the slim bezels.