Choosing a chassis and spec

omens

Gold Level Poster
My Vortex II's 580M GTX GPU is giving up the ghost. Laptop works fine now as it's using the MS basic display driver. I bought this laptop in 2011 and used it for gaming until about five years ago when I settled down, got married and found I had no time for gaming. Even my PS3 is still sitting in the garage from when we moved.

So I'm after a new laptop. My natural instinct is to go back to PCS. Back then, there were only two choices for 17.3" - Optimus and Vortex. There's a whole lot of choice now. I'd like some advice on which chassis to go for.

What do I currently do with my laptop? Quite frankly, I do very little - some basic word processing, maybe some drawings in Corel DRAW (remember that?), some light photoshopping, and mostly processing photos in Lightroom. I'd like to edit videos too. I would prefer to remain with 17.3" because of the numeric keypad and larger screen.

The Iconico and Defiance models look nice and slim. Would they hold up to editing? Would they overheat? What are they like in every day use? Should I look at other chasses?

Last edited:
I just ordered the Iconico 15" there a few days ago. I am after something slim and not overly 'gamer' design, however, this is entirely my personal preference! Logically the thicker/bigger they are the better they deal with overheating etc.

Similar to yourself, I ordered the top-spec for gaming but realistically I will probably game once in a while, but to have better spec 'just in case'! I use it mostly for MS Word.

You can see my spec in this post > here <